Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Options for shaft adaptor?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Kevin is right on the mark. The Nitro case is 1.86:1 ratio, so you will not over rev props. There are some 2.42:1 Nitro cases used on the OMC, 2 Cyl. motors around 50-60 HP. You of course, do not want the 2.42:1 ratio. We ran the Nitro and SST-60 cases quite high on tunnel boats in SE & SST-60 class without problems. Also, there are heavy duty rear bearing carriers available for same. We suggest pinning the carrier in either event. Please, forget the bigger V-4 case. It will only disappoint you.

Post Thanks / Like

OK, so maybe I have been heading in the wrong direction here...
    So the alternative for me would be to try to find a Nitro case and then just solve the Trim parts (which I already have the pump for)

I do have an old 55hp? 3-cyl engine that used to sit on the short mid I plan to use for the build, wonder if that crank could be used?
    Name:  20150205_210123 (576x1024).jpg
Views: 760
Size:  207.0 KB
    Name:  20150205_210228 (576x1024).jpg
Views: 674
Size:  243.1 KB
    Name:  20150205_210151 (576x1024).jpg
Views: 622
Size:  226.6 KB

There is also a Johnson Formula E engine for sale not far from where my brother lives, very expensive and most likely with unknown history. I also question the shape of the skeg (see attached pic)

Name:  stinger_or_not.JPG
Views: 620
Size:  15.9 KB

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, you can use the crank from the 3 cyl. 55hp as long as it has the 4 tooth spline. I'm sure it does. Just be sure to run the 1.86:1 ratio.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Per;145616]OK, so maybe I have been heading in the wrong direction here...
    So the alternative for me would be to try to find a Nitro case and then just solve the Trim parts (which I already have the pump for)

I do have an old 55hp? 3-cyl engine that used to sit on the short mid I plan to use for the build, wonder if that crank could be used?

There is also a Johnson Formula E engine for sale not far from where my brother lives, very expensive and most likely with unknown history. I also question the shape of the skeg (see attached pic)

I love the fresh over spray on the prop and the ground in that picture haha. Those lowers come up from time to time on here. You can maybe even get a new SST-60 one from Seaway Marine? I've bought gears from there before. What trim parts do you need? I make these brackets and the bracket for the motor.

No need to drill extra holes in your transom to mount it. Also works as inner transom plates. The last pic shows the added brackets for trim pump and battery box. That way there is no need to drill into the floor to mount extra brackets either
    Critchfield 15" 56ci OMC
    RapidCraft Cyclone 15" 56ci OMC

Post Thanks / Like

WOW, hevi kevi...nice work. just what i am looking for.
    Jason
    Outboard Junkie

Post Thanks / Like

Indeed, VERY nice work!
    I have been listening to what all you guys said and got my self a Evinrude 75hp short shaft, Money and motor has not changed hands yet but the seller seems very dependable and the plan is to fetch it within two weeks. It is not the formula E Engine...
    Spent the easter at my brother's place and we was supposed to pick up a trim & tilt unit for the project, when we arrived at the store I noticed an old 3-cyl mid and asked about it. It all ended with me leaving without trim & tilt but with a lot of 3-cyl stuff... Now I have a very nice 4-spline crank to put in my 56ci engine

Hevi do you still sell the adapter for putting a 56ci on a 49ci mid?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Should make a great motor Per, just picked up an other short shaft Stinger yesterday for parts or a latter project, one of my all time favorite motor.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Per View Post
    Indeed, VERY nice work!
    I have been listening to what all you guys said and got my self a Evinrude 75hp short shaft, Money and motor has not changed hands yet but the seller seems very dependable and the plan is to fetch it within two weeks. It is not the formula E Engine...
    Spent the easter at my brother's place and we was supposed to pick up a trim & tilt unit for the project, when we arrived at the store I noticed an old 3-cyl mid and asked about it. It all ended with me leaving without trim & tilt but with a lot of 3-cyl stuff... Now I have a very nice 4-spline crank to put in my 56ci engine

Hevi do you still sell the adapter for putting a 56ci on a 49ci mid?
    I missed this post. Yep, I do still make the adapter plate. Sounds like you have what you need to put together a nice machine now.
    Critchfield 15" 56ci OMC
    RapidCraft Cyclone 15" 56ci OMC

Thread Information