Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Yamaha 30 2-stroke mods?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Yamaha 30 2-stroke mods?

Hey guys,
    Just purchased a 2000 2 stroke(3 cyl) Yamaha 30 HP and I understand there are some performance mods that can be done on these motors to gain additional HP. Can somebody steer me in the right direction as to what mods are gonna give me the most bang for my buck and that I can do myself at home without having to do any machining(i.e. head shaving, porting, polishing, etc)? Compression readings at last service were 135 PSI and for now, the motor is pushing a 1648 Lowe, although I may put it on a slightly bigger hull if I can find one that I like.

Post Thanks / Like

i think tohatsu or yamaha 50 carbs fit, have a search on here. You can fit carbon reeds from CCM or boyesen. Above prop exhaust mod, again worth having a read about before hand. I would say it's worth shaving the head if you can, shouldn't cost too much to get done. Either way you can get better spark plugs, with standard head you could get slightly longer ones, same as they do on tohatsu 50's.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

How much of this stuff do you think I could reasonably do myself? I have never worked on an outboard engine before and don't know a lot about them. I used to do simple car repairs before everything became electronic and you had to have special diagnostic equipment to even figure out the problem. I guess what I'm saying is I'm not completely mechanically uninclined but I'm not an outboard mechanic either.

Post Thanks / Like

You could do it all yourself, I learned on outboards. 2 strokes are very easy to work with. Doing it is the easy bit, knowing what to do is the hard bit, just read up as much as you can before hand

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Know of anyplace that has "instructions" rather than suggestions? I did a search through the forums here and found several posts offering a multitude of things that could be done. Unfortunately though, none really said how much bang for the buck they would provide nor did they say how easy/difficult some of those mods would be for the average do-it-yourselfer.

Thread Information