Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Bel-Ray HP marine 2 stroke oil

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bel-Ray HP marine 2 stroke oil

A local marine store just started selling the Bel-Ray oil and I always had very good luck with their oils in my 2 stroke MX bikes. http://www.belray.com/marine-hp-synt...t-engine-oil-0 It's JASO FD and ISO E-L-EGD rated and it's about the only good option available in my area. Has anyone used this oil? I hate ordering online and if this stuff is any good it would be very convenient.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

We ran it regularly in our air-cooled dirt bikes. Never heard of a complaint--and that's tough service!

Jeff
    "We live at the bottom of an ocean of air." - General Marvage Slatington

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I can also get the Amsoil HP Marine local, but it doesn't have the JASO FD and ISO E-L-EGD rating. West Marine sells the Pennzoil synthetic for a ridiculous price. Now that 4 strokes are more popular it's getting harder to find a good selection of 2 stroke oils on the shelves at the local stores.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tiller guy View Post
    I can also get the Amsoil HP Marine local, but it doesn't have the JASO FD and ISO E-L-EGD rating. West Marine sells the Pennzoil synthetic for a ridiculous price. Now that 4 strokes are more popular it's getting harder to find a good selection of 2 stroke oils on the shelves at the local stores.
    You can get Pennzoil marine 2-cycle oil at Advance Auto Parts and also Walmart both at a reasonable price. If you have an O-Rielly Auto Parts store near, they sell Lucas high performance two cycle oil also. For me, I choose Pennzoil every time. But I have bought Lucas, which is always a bit more expensive, and was impressed with its quality (GOOD STUFF!).

As far as West marine, they can be a bit pricey not because of product brand, but rather because they are selling it. They are more of a high end "apparel/sporting goods" store these days anyway.

P.S, Don't let any of the so-called experts tell you that Pennzoil is strictly a Walmart brand either. I went into a independently owned marine store once, and I asked for Pennzoil. The old guy behind the counter said, "Nope! We sell Sierra brand here. Its the best quality. Pennzoil is a inferior Walmart brand."....Well, I looked at this fellow and asked, " So Walmart is in the oil business?!! They own the most well known brand of over 100++ years in oil/petroleum products?!! ".....Not likely!!

Sierra is really just a name and nothing else. They sell parts, fluids, and lots of other stuff that is actually made by whoever makes the cheapest of whatever from wherever. Doesn't necessarily make it bad though, but its definitely not better than actual brands either!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

That's also true for "genuine Mercury (OMC, Yamaha, etc)" oil--they aren't in the refinery business either!

Jeff
    "We live at the bottom of an ocean of air." - General Marvage Slatington

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Champ I'm running the Pennzoil XLF for now from Walmart because they no longer sell the full synthetic. West Marine wants $54 per gal for the full synthetic.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tiller guy View Post
    Champ I'm running the Pennzoil XLF for now from Walmart because they no longer sell the full synthetic. West Marine wants $54 per gal for the full synthetic.
    That's what I use, just regular Pennzoil marine. The synthetic is great, but I have always had good running with the regular on my older outboards for fishing. My fishing motors are: a WM7 "Super-10" Wizard for lakes and rivers where fast cruising to spots are safe, and a 1961 McCulloch 7.5 weedless low profile model for rough country swamps and creeks where detachment and carry might be needed to drag the jon boat over logs or through wooded areas. That motor is less than 40 lbs! The salt water Bay boat uses a 35hp 3-cyl Johnson.

Thread Information