Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where are they now

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default CANTEK Racing Toronto

Hey there to all and Thanx to Jeff Lytle for telling me about these sites while in Toronto recently.

From 1971-74 I drove with the CANTEK (Mercury) Race team based in Toronto (#s 588 & 988) in UU, U, UI and S classes (Mod U as I recall). I won the Canadian Nationals and was Region 2 Champion a few times.
    Many years of great fun and wonderful people!

Does anyone recall the guy who in late 71 was running first in a river race in Ohio and took a detour thru some trees then down a gravel road?

That was me! I still have the piece of log with a skeg imbedded in it that tore the lower unit off.

I live in the southern part of Mexico now (Merida) where I retired from a consulting business.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team
    Tom, I had forgotten about Tommy's dad until you mentioned NOA. That would be Ben, right? Good guys.
    His name was Ben from the Dallas Ft.worth area one good person Benny

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrianSmith
    Hey there to all and Thanx to Jeff Lytle for telling me about these sites while in Toronto recently.

From 1971-74 I drove with the CANTEK (Mercury) Race team based in Toronto (#s 588 & 988) in UU, U, UI and S classes (Mod U as I recall). I won the Canadian Nationals and was Region 2 Champion a few times.
    Many years of great fun and wonderful people!

Does anyone recall the guy who in late 71 was running first in a river race in Ohio and took a detour thru some trees then down a gravel road?

That was me! I still have the piece of log with a skeg imbedded in it that tore the lower unit off.

I live in the southern part of Mexico now (Merida) where I retired from a consulting business.
    Brian; I think I have some pictures of your boat taken in Parry Sound 1973...befoe your nasty barrel-roll where it seemed like forever before you surfaced out of that snug Milesmaster cockpit. I'll try to scan them and post.
    You and Dick Summerfeldt had equipment that put Merc Canada (Fred Wolf) to shame.
    Remember your battle 1973 St. Jean against John Sherlock, that was great racing!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Parry sound

Thanx Peter: I don't recognize who you are but obviously someone familiar. Those were great days. The hook was really sudden, that boat was really tiny for the power and pretty unforgiving. I guess I didn't anticipate the waves bouncing back off that pier! I have a pic of me in mid-air that was printed in the paper.
    The worst of it was driving with one hand the next weekend, nursing the broken ribs.
    Any pics that anyone has would be really appreciated....unfortunately thru circumstances in these past years I have very few.

Regards to all!

Brian

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=peterse90;15029]Brian; I think I have some pictures of your boat taken in Parry Sound 1973...befoe your nasty barrel-roll where it seemed like forever before you surfaced out of that snug Milesmaster cockpit. I'll try to scan them and post.

Sorry about the poor quality of the pic's...a Kodak Instamatic and a novice picture taker...obviously taken after the barrel-roll
    Attached Images Attached Images   

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Jim Hallum, he and others made British Anzani famous

I had a 2 hour conversation with Jim Hallum yesterday night. He is now 76 years young, fully retired living near Duval, Washington state, in what we, everyone east of the Rocky Mountains call God's country. Jim Hallum as many know co-opted with Ron Anderson, family and friends (in Washington state) and Bill Tenney (Minnesota) that marched forward in the 1960s to produce the British Anzani outboard racing A and B class Alky engines where the class Bs clobbered the century mark (100+miles per hour) in kilo events to set straightway records and speed runs as high as 107 mph to get the record eventually recognized at 101 mph. These days he enjoys his retirement and still has avid hobbies involving model aircraft that he builds and runs including versions powered Bill Tenney invented version of the pulse jet that push these RC aircraft into the 150 mph ranges. Speed is obviously still in his blood though he gave up the outboard racing and marine industry sides of it once he got into his later 60s.

Jim is quite thrilled that there is going to be the efforts to document and make historic his contributions to outboard racing that will be logged on to this site as technical articles on Anzani engines. From another standpoint he is thrilled to become part of the historic figures who contrbuted to the sport as part of the package to be developed for the Manitoba Marine Museum whose location is just a short stroll to the Red River and Selkirk race site that saw huge Service, Stock, Alky and Modified outboard racing meets that started from the 1950s. British Anzani was very prominent in these events during the earlier periods as were Quincy Mercs, Quincy Flatheads, Harrisons, Konigs, Crescents and other engines of that very progressive period. Jim Hallum was one of those west coast movers and shakers that gave outboard racing its west coast flavor and perspective front and center when all out speed was to be demonstrated. Readers can look forward to articles where Jim Hallum gives his perspective on things technical and historic in the near future under the threads involving A, B, C & D British Anzanis.

Now if we can shanghai Ron Anderson and others of that west coast group too, it can all be a well rounded historical exercise overall. Does anyone have Ron Anderson's and or other west coast historic figure's telephone numbers or email addresses if he is on the world wide web? All help in these efforts will be greatly appreciated.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Miles Pics

Thank you so much for posting the pics.................Yes I recall many friendly battles with John, Bucky Thornton, Bert and many others.

Thanx also for the compliment. We worked very hard on our stuff and wished to also present a quality image for us and the sport.

Regards to all

Brian

Thread Information