Post Thanks / Like

Default The fastest boat in the world

The race never stops

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

So 317 is the all out record?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes it is.

On the day of the 8th of October 1978 on Blowering Dam NSW Australia, Ken Warby set the world record for the fastest boat driven across water to a speed of 317.6 mph.

I honest don't know how the plywood didn't come apart at those speeds. It's not very high tech construction.
    The race never stops

Post Thanks / Like

And Ken designed it in 70 built in 72. Spent from 74 to 78 testing with increasing thrust levels until he worked out all the bugs. On the day of the record he was short of the 300 mph mark he was trying to reach. And asked his technical expert professor Tom Fink what to do and was told to cut 65mm off the rear rudder to reduce drag (the rudder was a significant drag contributor). So Ken cut 65 mm + 10mm off and set his record 2 way average, still to be broken. All with a self design and a shoe string budget built at his home.

http://warbymotorsport.com/Spirit_of_Australia.php
    “Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence” Carl Sagan

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I remember Ken Warby setting the record and how all the "experts" blew him off before he accomplished his amazing feat. It is a great story.

I had the great pleasure of a one on one talk with him for almost an hour at the hospitality room during the APBA convention in Washington D.C that year. I wish I could remember that conversation. We talked a little bit about how he was able to pull it off. I had asked about press reports of him doing it on a shoestring in a garage or something, but he was tired of the same old talks over and over of how he had done it, and so we just got to talking. Talking about this and that, and the bad part of it was that I was not thinking about the history of what he had done and who I was talking to. It was like talking to another boat racer. That's how he came across. I don't remember anything besides our introductions that we talked about. It was almost like that he had spent those years working to break the record. No one believed he could do it. Then Ken Warby did break the record. Stories were done about the impossible accomplishment, and there were many good underdog stories published. But back then every one thought....here is a guy who built a boat in his back yard and broke the world speed record with a used jet engine. It would be just a short time before engineers and promoters would answer that record with a professional onslaught and up that record. It hasn't happened yet. Hat's off to Ken Warby.

BTW: The reason I was able to spend so much time talking one on one with Ken is that the hospitality room was filled elbow to elbow, hot and noisy when some lady hollered in the door "They're going to say who killed J.R." It was the opening of the new TV season and J.R. Ewing was killed, or supposedly killed (don't know & don't care) and instantly the whole room emptied while all but two of us went out the door and turned right to go to the room that had the season opening episode of DALLAS.

Thread Information