Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Old guys

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Old guys

I have of a question? Mostly for Pro,Alkies Guys. Seems that the love of Loopers,Konigs,HM made stuff flows in many a vein . But why are there so many who used to go to races and race not still going and putting someone in a rig.. Its not like your expertise is extinct. Lots of you guys really know how to make a boat go fast. So what hold them back??

Pat Wright

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by racewright View Post
    I have of a question? Mostly for Pro,Alkies Guys. Seems that the love of Loopers,Konigs,HM made stuff flows in many a vein . But why are there so many who used to go to races and race not still going and putting someone in a rig.. Its not like your expertise is extinct. Lots of you guys really know how to make a boat go fast. So what hold them back??

Pat Wright
    Pat, if I had your $'s I would. He He Nevertheless I still go, but primarily to see & talk to old friends but also to see the competition when there is.

Lake Sammamish, Washington and Indio, California
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by racewright View Post

Pat Wright
    I do just that. I, as owner, and others put together a C-Mod Hydro (500 Mod Hydro) outfit together in 2014... With
    J. Michael Kelly driving. Within 8 months, we had won the APBA Nationals, Set a World Record, Won the APBA High Point Championship, and got into the APBA Hall Of Champions. Not Bad !!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are still running this outfit........ But with J. Michael's Unlimited and Inboard schedule, we haven't run it as much this year.

Prior to that......... Several years before, J. Michael drove my SST 45 Tunnel boats. See avatar picture.

So yes, I do just what you have said........... Stay involved and have a younger driver do the honors.

Best To All,

Dean Hobart............................................ ...........................
    Dean Hobart

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Can't take it with Ya John Your support at races is very much appreciated. Just seems with how good the racing is with the USTS that more would put a team together. Might be the traveling as that is most difficult.

Post Thanks / Like

Pat, from the Mid-west I think most of the Racers I raced against from 1966 - 2006 have died or are still involved racing, or pitting for someone. A few dropped out never to be seen again at a race. Like Clyde Queen, Tim Butts, Paul Keller. Most of the members of Outboard Club of Chicago are no more. As you know boat racing is difficult for most, it takes a lot of effort and time to be a winner. Some old Racers are not up to the task. The traveling part becomes expensive for us that have retired. I try to help Brad Barth with parts/repairs before the race season and willing to help others if asked. I dabble in boat construction, engine repair, and part making. With my recent heart valve rebuilt I hope to be around for a long time.
    Bill

oldalkydriver

There is not one single answer, but several answers for several different people. A few of mine are; races are so far out of town, we don't get to race front of 15,000 spectators ( or prospects) any more. Alkies for me had the right tone or noise and for a long time, the more comfortable speeds. Tested on Saturdays, BBQ Saturday night and raced on Sundays. Leaving the lake or river around 4 or 5 PM, giving you time to drive home and get rested before work on Monday. Cost! And lastly (for me anyhow) moving to the Philippines.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm still involved but no longer drive. My last boat is for sale as a matter of fact. I work on many motors and supply parts and Tech advice. There are a couple that I help regularly especially Parker Thirlby as I really like the 125 class. Too bad he has no interest in a hydro, Health and age or just old bones has gotten to me but my love for the sport and people have not wained, Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Litzell View Post
    I'm still involved but no longer drive. My last boat is for sale as a matter of fact. I work on many motors and supply parts and Tech advice. There are a couple that I help regularly especially Parker Thirlby as I really like the 125 class. Too bad he has no interest in a hydro, Health and age or just old bones has gotten to me but my love for the sport and people have not wained, Steve
    Steve you hit it right on the head. There is no better people than PRO Race people.
    All my best friends living and dead have been involved with PRO Racing. How I miss competing and helping hand from a Homer Kincade, Bud Finkel, Dean Wilson, Ray Hardy, Larry Ladda, Mel Kirts, Tom Kirts, and a host of others those names long forgotten.
    I miss terribly the help, advice, friendship, and long talks after mid-night on a Saturday night with Harry Pasturczak ie "ZAK". "ZAK" what a guy! Nicest guy you could ever meet.
    I miss racing and pitting with Rod Walk. Long after he quit racing I could count of him to start my Konigs.
    I miss the boat construction talks with Tim Butts and Art & Gary Pugh.
    Most of all, I miss racing with my two sons Bill & Bob, and Brad Barth.
    Boat Racing was one of the best thing I ever tried to do.
    Bill

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well from what I see distance is the most difficult thing to over come (Philippines hard to make a drivers meeting) We have to travel about 1,000 miles to every race and yea in my Group I'm the only one who can take 3 or 4 days to travel Jim has to fly. Costly yes but if I think about costs I'll take up canasta (card game for anyone under 50). But I think every one who responded kinda has the same reasons for trying to still be involved,the People OMG the USTS is a very tight group as-side from some occasional bull**** everyone treats each other like FAMILY.

Post Thanks / Like

In the Mid-west US Title Series saved PRO Racing. Outboard Club of Chicago had died out, The St Louis club was nearly dead as well as the PRO group in Minnesota, all club names I have forgotten a long time ago. Michigan Outboard where putting on fewer and fewer races. For a family just getting started my wife Joyce put up with me spending money we didn't have, going to far off races in Minnesota, Missouri, Wisconsin, Illinois, and Michigan. Races in Texas, Ohio, or New York were just too far to travel at the time.
    When I started in 1966 I had more races then to go to locally ( Illinois & Michigan ) then the free time to go. At that time I could go to about 10 races a year all 100% PRO races. Later on I did teamed up with Rod Walk and Barry Anderson to go to a couple of Texas races. We also went to the PRO Nationals in Bakersfield California with Rod Walk, Brad Barth and my family, we called it the "trip to Hell".
    Without USTS my PRO racing would have ended and I think PRO racing would have died out completely in the middle of the country or most of the states.
    That's the reason I support USTS then and now.
    Bill

Thread Information