Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 30 HP Yamaha with 50 hp Tohatsu 50 Carbs

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Tonight i fitted 40hp yamaha reed blocks, they look the same but on closer inspection they have larger windows under the reeds. See picture for difference
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The 70/ 90 hp Yammy uses 6 petal reeds that are only a tiny bit wider. You MIGHT be able to fit them.

Jeff
    "We live at the bottom of an ocean of air." - General Marvage Slatington

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fastjeff57 View Post
    The 70/ 90 hp Yammy uses 6 petal reeds that are only a tiny bit wider. You MIGHT be able to fit them.

Jeff
    Hey cool Jeff! , I'll try these now but there is always later haha. Maybe on the wing boat because he is fitting 50 carbs, and hasn't bought the new reed blocks yet.
    Funny the 50 carbs I ordered turned up as 40's, they look heaps easier to fit so I'm going with them.
    Just ported the reed plate flange a mm or so to take the 40 carbs last night, now to clean the carbs and play with the linkages

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Grayson, Thanks for the comparison! I have the 40hp blocks and the race reeds ready. I was expecting the reed blocks to be the same, but I was wrong. I'm still debating the high compression head?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tiller guy View Post
    Grayson, Thanks for the comparison! I have the 40hp blocks and the race reeds ready. I was expecting the reed blocks to be the same, but I was wrong. I'm still debating the high compression head?
    We have two heads. One is on the wing boat already. He has has the bowl welded up and ground to shape then cc measured. Mine is at a friends now getting looked at. We will have results in the next few weeks. I was told head chamber shape was more important than compression. I still think it needs a bit more though as its pretty low stock

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Tiller guy;147365]Grayson, Thanks for the comparison! I have the 40hp blocks and the race reeds ready. I was expecting the reed blocks to be the same, but I was wrong. I'm still debating the high compression head?[/QUO

at what stage did you put on the race reeds? did they make a difference? i wonder if they are stiffer than the sport reeds? i have read conflicting things on the net

Here's a pic of me running 4th pin shallow water drive engaged 39mph here. It was actually faster in third pin with shallow water drive but only by maybe 1 mph, just easier to drive.
    I have since straightened the bottom, bent reed stops, fitted reeds and fixed a restriction on my prop spacer and run a best of 42 mph. More to come hopefully

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Restriction on prop spacer? What prop are you running?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tiller guy View Post
    Restriction on prop spacer? What prop are you running?
    i have a worked 13p solace stainless ( cupped, thinned progressive pitch) - it was off my last tohatsu - same splines but i had to make a spacer to fit it on the yamaha, i machined the splines out of an old tohatsu thrust washer - and then later machined down the outer edge - as it was creating a restriction through the hub

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have restocked the 40 tohatsu carbs, fuel pump now in the middle, the vacuum pulse hole seems to work.
    I think the choke will work now I swapped around the rods that that hold the choke butterflies from bottom to middle and played around a bit, I will find out tomorrow if it works.
    Next job is to shorten the rods for the throttle linkage between all three carbs and try to get the throttle linkage working.
    Oh yeah and fix the fuel fitting I snapped off last night

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What about the auto lube linkage?

Thread Information