Thread: Marchetti Race Boats

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  Marchetti B CS.jpg
Views: 1044
Size:  47.3 KBName:  MBS11 Mar SR39.JPG
Views: 1023
Size:  131.1 KB
    This is a 10'8" Marchettii (10-10"?] I owned for some time and is now back
    in NJ near near where it was concieved .
    Never raced, 'boys toy', not mine !
    No sign of Merc clamps, but sign of KR or SR ?
    Cloth deck, so early '60s, 'spaghetti boat ' and few survive.
    Maybe a good B popper boat ?

I never did like the later 'scallop deck' C/D hydros,
    ie; the transition to pickle forks, although some had sucess with them;

-also a pic of Chuck Simon in this type boat with a converted deflector B Konig
    I still have this motor, but never saw this pic before I let go the boat

PS; -thanx to Karl W for the CS pic , and other info.
    PPS. -that is a SR-39 hex head on the Marchetti, but with copper 4 stud
    'Thermo Flow ' aftermarket heads. c1935?
    Last edited by BRIAN HENDRICK; 09-14-2015 at 06:13 PM. Reason: sp?

Post Thanks / Like

The smaller boat in the top photo has the tapered cockpit Ron mentioned. In this and many other ways, those first Marchettis were VERY similar to Hal Kelly's "Wetback" design. I'd like to know if Nick got his start with a set of Hal Kelly's plans, then made a couple of mostly cosmetic changes (the cowl, and the contour of the bow) and called it a Marchetti. A lot of builders started by making slight modifications to a popular boat of their day.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi - Thanks for the info again. My intentions to buy this guys 10' Marchetti vanished when I saw the "other" Marchetti he had in his garage.
    It was a 12 footer made from Brazilian mahogany, front deck was mahogany in pristine condition so I'm getting that this Sat. Will send pic
    when I get it.

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smittythewelder View Post
    The smaller boat in the top photo has the tapered cockpit Ron mentioned. In this and many other ways, those first Marchettis were VERY similar to Hal Kelly's "Wetback" design. I'd like to know if Nick got his start with a set of Hal Kelly's plans, then made a couple of mostly cosmetic changes (the cowl, and the contour of the bow) and called it a Marchetti. A lot of builders started by making slight modifications to a popular boat of their day.
    Not true Smitty, he copied the Sid-Craft but made the chines shallower.

Post Thanks / Like

Those flat (25 degree, IIRC) non-trips, and the bottom width (32", again IIRC) are what made me suspect it was a near-copy of a Hal Kelly "Wetback," a couple of which I helped build after building my own "Jupiter." As you know, better than I or most here, the analogous dims for the small Sid hydros were 45 degrees and 34". But I defer to your experience.

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smittythewelder View Post
    Those flat (25 degree, IIRC) non-trips, and the bottom width (32", again IIRC) are what made me suspect it was a near-copy of a Hal Kelly "Wetback," a couple of which I helped build after building my own "Jupiter." As you know, better than I or most here, the analogous dims for the small Sid hydros were 45 degrees and 34". But I defer to your experience.
    Yep, agree that the chine angle & bottom width that you quoted is correct. However, I know for a fact that Nick would never have copied the Wetback as the Sids were always beating Hal. Actually the first boat Nick built for his brother Tony was more like a Sis then his later boats. Insofar as the Wetback is concerned, Hal did a lot of measurements of Sids, bothe runabout & hydro. For example, in 1955 when Sid & Johnny wehrle drove to your area and raced in the nationals, I believe Devils Lake, the best Johnny could do was a 2nd in ASH with his Jacoby, didn't do well in BSH as the guys out there were using pressure regulations that we believed to be illegal, and got trounced in A & B runabout mostly by the CAulkins Crafts. Sid designed the new Hornet when he got back & Johnny took it to Loch Haven over Labor Day. On the way home, the Kelly's, Wehrles & the Schuberts stopped at a diner for dinner. Johnny's dad Wiff suddenly asked "where is Kelly"? Wiff found him outside measuring the Hornet which became his next generation BU. I foret which boat it was as I'm not near his plans which can be found on Skip Hageman's web site where my scrapbook is located. Hal's Airborne was a copy of the Sid "bath-tub". So getting back to the Wetback. Hal never told me this but I'm sure that he incorporated some of the Swift features & measurements when drawing up his Wetback as well as the Sid.
    Hope I didn't bore you, but that's history as I recall. it. The Kelly's & Schubert's were good friends. We even traveled together to DePere, WI for the 1954 SO nationals.

Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting, something I always wondered about. So Hal Kelly's A/B "FooLing" and C/D "Madcap," his last and best runabouts, were probably "inspired" by Sid-Craft's very similar runabouts and not the other way around, right? Since I have never know how far back either Sid or Kelly started in boat-building, I guessed wrong. And when you mention the likely Swift influence on Marchetti, that makes sense because the Swifts had those low-angle nontrips. Thank you, John. As a kid, all I had to refer to was a somebody's cast off 1957 issue of Boat Sport (with an article on the new A Konig, an article about Don Baldicini, and a photo of yourself out front in a Sid ASH), and I didn't get into racing myself, with my beautiful but very slow "Jupiter," until 1965 when I was 19, and all of what we're talking about was already old news. By that point, at least in Reg. 10, Kelly's plans-built boats and the Swifts were pretty nearly all gone to the wildcatters, and I never saw even one old step-hydro show up at a race.

Thread Information