Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canadian Power Boat Assoc: Daffy Marshall ? 1974 OPC Nat's

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Canadian Power Boat Assoc: Daffy Marshall ? 1974 OPC Nat's

Anyone know or heard of a guy named Daffy Marshall or last name Marshall maybe who ran in 1974 OPC Nationals in Eufaula, Alabama and the1974 OPC Marathon Nat's in St Mary's, Ohio ? Pretty sure boat was powered by Johnson Stinger!?

Thanks,

Tom

Front of driving suit

Back of driving suit

Front view

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Bump: Added pictures of driving suit. Wondering if anyone knows this (Canadian?) driver. The two Johnson Stinger patches are the first I have seen with a scorpion.

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 25XS View Post
    Bump: Added pictures of driving suit. Wondering if anyone knows this (Canadian?) driver. The two Johnson Stinger patches are the first I have seen with a scorpion.
    Tom,
    When the Evinrude Strangler & Johnson Stinger, later the Super Strangler & Stinger GP (both were 8 barrel carbs) were introduced, the Stinger with Scorpion was also used in the logo. All our uniforms had the scorpion on either the patch or other embroidering. That was about 1971. The Evinrude Strangler was a large had strangling another well famous outboard.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The name DAFFY MARSHALL does not ring any bells with me, and I raced and was at most races in eastern Canada that year.

The Canadian V-4 OMC drivers in 1974 were Tom Wood, Jim Cascadden, Roger Wood and Ludy Shindler. Tom and Ludy were Johnson, Jim and Roger were Evinrude.
    Tom, Jim and Roger were S class, Ludy was an indepedent U class driver.

In 1974 we raced under CBF - Canadian Boating Federation. I don't ever remember CPBA.

Perhaps he was from western Canada and raced in the northwest USA, but for sure he did NOT have anything to do with eastern Canada where we always had our national championships.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

peterse90,
    Thanks for the info. There is a CPBA patch on the driving suit, but the other patches are 1974 OPS Nationals Eufaula, Alabama, also 1974 OPC Marathon Nationals, St Marys, Ohio. Another crossed checkered flag patch says "Hinchman 500" but the suit is mfg'd by Hinchman - Indianapolis, IN so it's likely an Indy500 patch.
    Tom

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 25XS View Post
    Anyone know or heard of a guy named Daffy Marshall or last name Marshall maybe who ran in 1974 OPC Nationals in Eufaula, Alabama and the1974 OPC Marathon Nat's in St Mary's, Ohio ? Pretty sure boat was powered by Johnson Stinger!?

Thanks,

Tom

Front of driving suit

Back of driving suit

Front view
    I am guessing that this suit belonged to Marshall Goldberg from Rhode Island. He had a picture of Daffy Duck on his boat.
    I am making some connections and assumptions based on a picture I found on SNF. Follow the link:
    https://www.screamandfly.com/showthr...ng-in-the-70-s

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Name:  daffy marshall.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  195.2 KB
    Here is the picture from SNF. I think this solves the mystery.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm still unsure about the CPBA crest. As I mentioned earlier we raced under CBF (Canadian Boating Federation).

I don't ever remember seeing that boat (is it a Cougar?) at any races here in Canada.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like Bill Richter found the guy! Thanks Bill. It appears Marshall Goldberg raced alot in the Northeast and I've found some race results in archives of the Lowell Sun newspaper in 1974 and 1975.

I'll make an attempt to contact Marshall or his family to get some more information about his racing days.

Tom

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Tom, do the race results you found indicate what class Marshall Goldberg was competing in? It appears to me that the motor in the picture is not a stinger, as the driver suit would suggest but a 125 or 135. It is hard to tell because he has a canvas cover over the shroud. A stinger would be legal in UJ, and 125 or 135 would be legal in Sport J.

Thread Information