Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bob Wartinger: Outboard World Speed Record Holder

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bob Wartinger: Outboard World Speed Record Holder

If you meet Bob you'd never guess he has set more records than anyone else, or that he holds the 176+ record. All you'd know was that you had met a gentleman ....
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 11-11-2014 at 11:44 PM.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bob is the greatest!!!!

I haven't posted here, because I ran into a guy that worked the patrol boat when Bob set the Outboard World Speed Record....He told me a couple of stories I'd never heard, but he added Bob was the nicest guy he'd ever met...and he said he had some cool pictures, but I'm tired of waiting for the pictures...

I don't really recall when I first met Bob, but I didn't think I like guys from Seattle anyway (They were too fast).......so, it was easy for me not to like him... Then, in 1973, my dad disqualified his foot at Willard Bay, Utah....And that was that, I decided, especially after he appealed the DQ, that I didn't like him....

(His 25SS foot met the contour, but my dad felt the gearcase should be round in the front like they came from the factory..and the Commission decide my dad was right....and I'm not sure Bob had ever touched the foot...checked the contour and it was OK)..

Bob took the DQ without a word, and I liked that....We kind of stayed out of each other's way until the 1976 National Meeting...When he made a presentation to the Stock Commission, on all kinds of techincal rules...He read them slowly and explained each item careful, so even I knew what he was talking about..... I thought....Hell, maybe, this guy really cares about people running legal and by the rules...I think I might get to like him...

At the Kilos the next Spring at Modesto, he was first out and he ran like three round trips, and didn't break a record...This guy, I thought only cares about himself...using all OUR time.... Then, he goes out in 35 Hydro and takes three more runs...When I finally get to run my 35 runbaout, I go almost as fast has his 35 hydro.....Then, Bob goes back out, in 25 Hydro, and breaks the record by a ton....I say that is wierd, three runs , then he gains 7 MPH.....I better watch this guy...make sure he ain't cheating..

So, I run my 35 Hydro and beat Bob's time.....He goes back and runs his 35 Hydro, I'm waiting for him to go 7 MPH faster on the second run....He doesn't...

In inspection, it is getting dark, Bob and I talk...I ask, "How did you gain 7 MPH?" He said he just got the prop hooked up and she went..." He helped me take my 35 apart because I didn't know how to do it...Dark and cold, Bob never complained...then, congratulated me on my GREAT Record...

On the way home, I tell my wife what a "JERK" I am...He helps ME, he breaks a record, (I only established a record)....and I don't tell him anything...I could have said, "THANKS" at least...

That fall, I'm testing at Lake Lawrence, and I look up and Wartinger is swmimming, without glasses and his BIG MOTHER BOOTS are on, toward his boat which is like 50 feet away... I stop, and ask if he's OK....This is before Lasic and I'm not sure he knew who I was without glasses, but I pull him over to his boat, help him in by holding the nose down...He thanks the FIRE out of ME.....I tell him...NO, NO, NO, THANK YOU!!!!! He gives me this funny look...

The next year Wilke is runing 20 SSH Hydro on a Karlesen just like Wartinger's, and Wilke wins Bakersfield....Wartinger is the record holder...He congratulates Dave Wilke and orders a prop just like it... THE GREAT BOB WARTINGER didn't BITCH that he'd been beaten, he ordered a prop like it.....WOW!!!!

I kept seeing Bob at Meetings, he was always nice to me and my wife....we talked on the phone....I invited him to run my new Mini Boat at Parker...He got there Thursday, we test Friday and Saturday and raced Sunday... When he leaves, even thoguh we'd lost because I couldn't hook up the gasline right....Bob thanks everyone....

Nothing is said about EXPENSES, but I figure Bob will bill me....Later we talk, I say are you sending me a bill for expenses???? He basically said, "Are you crazy? I'll race for you anytime...

His then girl friend, Pam Ninion, drove my wife'd boat the next year and Bob drove two of three Parkers...NEVER A HARSH WORD for the CREW, THE WIVES, ME...JUST a GENTLEMAN.....and a SPORTSMAN!!!!!

THANKS, BOB for everything...The Sport needs more like you!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 05-19-2014 at 10:20 PM.

Tomtall

Cool Bob's Induction

Bob Wartinger. The master of speed. Read about this living legend induction into the "APBA Honor Squadron" last year Jan.28th,2006.
    http://www.thunderboats.org/history/history0383.pdf

Link courtesy of Hydroplane and Raceboat Museum.
    http://www.thunderboats.org/

Post Thanks / Like

Default The best

You will not find a better person any where in racing. Nascar ,Formula1, Indy cars ,Champ cars, Spints, Unlimited hydros, The list goes on . The finest man I have ever had a chance to have a very short accuantance with.
    I try to model the last part of my life after the attitude of this great man towards other people. " No one is lower then him , No one is higher " just all people having fun.

Post Thanks / Like

I knew Bob back when my brother & his wife raced Stocks and I was just the pit crew in the 70's. Our team was extremely 'rag tag', but it was a lifelong goal for my brother to race boats - he had cystic fibrosis and was told he'd never be able to do it. Whenever Bob came to the Region 12 races, he made sure to come by and offer his encouragement - even though he didn't even know the full extent of my brothers health situation.

When my brother died, my sister in law quit racing completely and moved on, and I was left to go as a spectator - trying to find another team that might need a "groupie" to help them out.

Bob was a huge inspiration to me when he learned that I wanted to put my own race boat together despite not having a single family member who'd be a part of my team. A 24 year old girl, towing her own race boat into the pits - all alone - can be extremely intimidating. I had plenty of anxiety attacks during that time. But a week before each race, Bob was on the phone with me - giving me inspirational talks and encouragement.

After a talk with Bob, you can do just about anything!

One particular bad time I had was at Puddingstone around 1987-ish. This same weekend was also when Bob was being inducted into the Hall of Champions (one of the many).

My sister in law and nephew had promised to come with me to help (from Kingman, AZ to Puddingstone is a 6 hour trip). But at the last minute, they bailed on me. They also had booked the hotel room at the Red Lion Inn (where the Hall of Champs were being held) and the rates were $100 per night ($$$$ back then), and we were supposed to split that cost - now I was stuck with a $300+ hotel bill.

But then I got lost in the fog in LA - missed my turnoff, and got caught in a traffic tie up on the freeway when I finally got my boat and truck turned around. First I couldn't find the Puddingstone Reservoir, then I couldn't find the Red Lion. And I still needed to find a gas station for race fuel the next day! What a nightmare.

One time when the fog got REALLY bad, I exited the freeway, and pulled off to the side of the road. I ended up just parking and crying for about 30 minutes. (this was long before cell phones). Ironically, about that time I could see through the fog a GIANT image of Jesus looking down at me! I couldn't breathe thinking this was some sort of sign! But then realized I was parked at the gates of Forest Lawn Cemetery, and that was just a huge statue! LOL

Somehow, I finally found the Red Lion and really needed to hear Bob's voice. But he had not checked in yet. As I was sobbing, I realized that I had NO crew to help me.....I made a huge mistake and called an ex-boyfriend (who hated boat racing) from Manhattan Beach....and asked if he'd come help me.....bad move.

About 20 minutes after that call, Bob calls! I tell him my horror story and he is at my door in a flash.

Just talking with Bob for 10 minutes changed EVERYTHING! He had such a gift of motivation that soon all my fears seemed so foolish! He convinced me that I had no reason to be scared, and I was going to do GREAT in the race!

That next morning, I left for the race course completely revitalized!

The main thing I regret about that weekend is that Bob had invited me to accompany him when he got inducted into the Hall of Champions. I brought my nice evening dress and Bob had a ticket for me, but my ex-boyfriend was now in town, and it just wouldn't be right to leave him standing in the hall. I had to make the decision to pass up the Hall of Champs ceremony.

But I did watch the event through a crack in the door! Go Bob!
    (and I bawled my eyes out when Kim Jernigan got her award and told the audience how much her brother helped her at every race....I missed my brother so much...)

After I moved to Texas and quit racing, I never got to talk to Bob very much anymore. And boy did I miss our talks. The only time I really get to see him now is the rare Mid west race or at the APBA Annual Meeting. It's always such a delight to see him!

Even though we're aren't as close anymore, I'm sure Bob is still giving his all to help those "lone rangers" like me, who have no support system but want to race - and are in need of that extra bit of encouragement to really make it happen. Bob is such an asset to this sport!

Thank you, Bob!

Friend forever,
    Val

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Just yesterday ...

Quote Originally Posted by Miss BK

... I'm sure Bob is still giving his all to help those "lone rangers" like me, who have no support system but want to race - and are in need of that extra bit of encouragement to really make it happen. Bob is such an asset to this sport!

Thank you, Bob!

Friend forever,
    Val
    At 62 years old (63 this month) I made the decision to try my hand again at outboard racing after an absence of many years and purchased a pro category 125CC Rossi and a VRP engine along with a 125 hydro and a 125runabout (that Ron Hill generously aided in getting to me by bringing it out west from Florida last winter) ... what did I know about this equipment ... very little! So, the learning began in earnest this past Spring and the learning curve was steep. Neither boat came even close to getting near the water until Bob came to my assistance last week. With his encouragement and that of APBA Pro Commission Chairman Steve Greaves I was made to believe that I (we) could actually get a boat on the water and in less than a week take that 125 outfit down to Lincoln City Oregon and set a new kilo record at Devils Lake.

The first picture was at our testing session this past Monday ... second picture (courtesy of Denise Johnson, wife of Mike aka "Cameraboy" who spent a cold day out on the water so we could enjoy the moments at our leisure) shows designated driver Jim Nilsen driving through the traps on Satuday setting a new 125CCR kilo record.

What I learned this past week from all of these guys was unbelievable.

Everything that has been said about Bob was exemplified in his help and assistance this past week. Not only did he take his time to help me get equipment ready for a record run but he also had the time to prepare his own equipment and set not one but aty least two new records himself.

Gentleman is an understatement ... thanks Bob. And, special thanks to Steve Greaves and Jim Nilsen for what was an incredible week!!!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up More thanks ...

Thanks also to Darrell Sorenson for his help this weekend and to the nice C.O.R.A. folks who put on the Rocky Stone Memorial Kilo event. It was great fun everyone ... nice job!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Bob
    We started an email discussion (with me here in Singapore) re restraints in open boats as I think you mentioned the UIM was looking at it?
    Did that discussion go anywhere?
    Regards

Post Thanks / Like

As long as someone has revived this thread . . .

Members should be aware that since his retirement from Boeing, Bob has been spending a tremendous amount of time and effort on behalf of boat racers, including a great deal of air travel, all on his own money. Bob is a very good engineer, and is applying his professional knowledge to, among other things, improving awareness among boat-builders of design and construction methods that should tend to reduce accidents, and especially to reduce the occurance and severity of injuries sustained in accidents. Bob is a member of an organization of engineers working particularly on safety aspects in all branches of motor racing; he attends their meetings, makes presentations. At times, some boatracers will be annoyed by proposed or enacted rules that restrict things they can do in this happily small and amateurish do-it-yourself hobby, but at least they should recognize the intent: the thing becomes not-fun when friends are killed or maimed. It also becomes less affordable as insurers jack up their rates, and among Bob's activities is talking to insurers about their concerns and showing them that professional engineers are working on ways to, ultimately, reduce the number and amount of claims.

If you see Wart at a race, thank him for his selfless work on your behalf. Get him talking about it; he has a lot of very interesting things to say.

Post Thanks / Like

Everybody is aware that Wartinger has set over a hundred records, but there are many reasons people become racers and different aspects of racing appeal to different sorts of people. Racers in Stock classes like the heat-after-heat competitive tests of driving skill. PRO racers and those in other modified classes include a lot of hard-core gear-heads who are fascinated by the machinery, and for many of whom a race is largely a validation of their shop skills and design ideas. I think Bob's concentration on kilo runs reflects a engineer's mind-set. A kilo run is a solo endeavor with most of the racing elements of chance absent, and depends upon one's knowledge and skills in design, building, tuning, set-up, and organized testing, and appeals more to one with a rational, analytical personality than to an in-your-face competive type. There's a whole little in-crowd of such fellows, most of whom are also gear-heads, to be found at the Bonneville salt flats every fall. And while drag-racing attracts all sorts, it has always had a particular attraction to the real smart technical types like Bob, because a drag strip happens to be a pretty effective dynamometer, on which you can make run after run testing your ideas. Anyway, it's not by chance that Wartinger's name appears next to all those records.

Thread Information