Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to remember the name of an old racer

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Trying to remember the name of an old racer

I'm new to this forum, but have enjoyed reading all the posts about racing and old drivers. My experience is one of a fascinated youngster watching my dad's boats and motors run at regional events in the Southeast and remembering driver's names and race boats from the 50-60's era. One of the famous drivers I remember was Melvin Cooper who seemed to be at every race we attended. But, my dilemma (or lack of memory) is recalling the name of a competitor with a German sounding last name that, of course, ran Konig's. Does anyone remember him or someone that might fit that description?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Dortch?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ketzer View Post
    Dortch?
    Doesn't "ring a bell". Seems it started with an "A" or "C".

Lake Sammamish, Washington and Indio, California
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TigerToo View Post
    Doesn't "ring a bell". Seems it started with an "A" or "C".
    Hello Tiger Too,

Check out BoatSport.org This was a magazine about boat racing during the 1950's. On this web site they have every Boat Sport magazine and every page available to view. You might be able to find his name there. Even if you don't it is a great place to read about the boat racing of the past.

A friend of mine who raced in Washington State, Lance Puckett, had boats named Tiger Too, I, II, III and IV. Tiger Too IV was a brand new 1962 A Stock Sid-Craft Hydro. He did very well with that boat.

Dean Hobart....................
    Dean Hobart

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I would say you are thinking of my father Von Ernst.but last name begins in e and he only ran Quincy.and last I heard a few months ago Mr. Cooper is still around,cause somebody who knows how to tune racing motors has to show the moto-x boys how to.Southwest Ga is where most train.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yup! melvin is still around and I speak to him often, We have known each other since he was in the army back in the 60's, Great friend and racer and we have many stories to tell for sure. A better clue may help on your search as there were many Konig racers from down here. Are you maybe thinking of the Konig mechanic Blankinstein? Steve

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if you are thinking of Joe and Jimmy Aderholdt ?

Joe quit after a bad crash... I think Jimmy still races? Definitely ran Konig engines.

Post Thanks / Like

As Steve says, Melvin Cooper is still around. He and I had a great visit @ DePue. I would not doubt for a moment if he wanted to, He could get in a boat today and hold his own against much younger drivers!
    BTW: Melvin also drove Quincys as well as Konigs

Post Thanks / Like

Jimmy Aderholdt had some serious health issues recently. He has made great progress. Who knows, he might be back in a boat next spring. I would not bet against him! All of Jimmy's boat racing buddies continue to pray for his continued recovery.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Good to hear that Melvin Cooper is still around! I was just a young boy watching boat racing back then and his name was always a standard at any race my father attended. Melvin would show my dad techniques and secrets that he would not show anyone else. My dad obviously thought a lot of him for that. A good story is my dad's driver, Ike Stone, who knew Melvin too, once went to a race just to watch and Melvin offered one of his extra boats to race. Ike took him up on it and said he had more fun and won more prize money that day than ever before. That's the kind of guy Melvin was. He brightened an old racer's day!

Thread Information