Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sealing new reeds

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default sealing new reeds

Hi, having trouble getting my ccm race reeds to seal. Ive lapped the reed block and oiled the reeds, they looked good last night, but today only a few of them are sealling fully. I can see light through the others. Have not applied much pressure to the at all, just above finger tight- they are socket head screes
    Is there something im missing?

Post Thanks / Like

If you mean they are slightly raised above the reed cage surface (like about .005") that shouldn't be a problem crank case pressure will close them. All my race engines have the reeds not touching the cage surface. Though strange that they raised over night?

What engine are you working with?

Not familiar with the CCM reeds you are using are they single petal or multiple petal cut? How did you align the reeds on the cage to be parallel to the reed openings ( am thinking oval reed port openings not circular hole openings)?
    " Three may keep a secret if two of them are dead" Ben Franklin
    " ------- well Doctor what have we got a Republic or Monarchy? A Republic he replies if you can keep it"
    Benjamin Franklin, 1787 Constitutional Convention, as recorded by signer James McHenry's in his diary at the Library of Congress

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zul8tr View Post
    If you mean they are slightly raised above the reed cage surface (like about .005") that shouldn't be a problem crank case pressure will close them. All my race engines have the reeds not touching the cage surface. Though strange that they raised over night?

What engine are you working with?

Not familiar with the CCM reeds you are using are they single petal or multiple petal cut? How did you align the reeds on the cage to be parallel to the reed openings ( am thinking oval reed port openings not circular hole openings)?
    30 Yamaha 3 cyl, they are only slightly raised, probably the oil drained away overnight, the gap was tiny, but I like the reeds to seal with no light showing. Multiple/ twin petal cut, I tried them with factory reed stops then no stops but a flat rectangular plate with no stops.
    They will probably run ok but I really want them to shut

Post Thanks / Like

I use CCM reeds on all of my mercury restorations and quincy looper projects. Most of the time they tighten down with a small gap on a lapped cage. They run beautifully.

Post Thanks / Like

Like I and BJuby said no problem with a slight lift, they will seal with CC pressure.

BJuby what CCM reeds do you use, he offers 3 types: Drag, Sport and I think Performance? I suppose there are different thicknesses to each but same material? Any issues with tip frays or breakage ?
    " Three may keep a secret if two of them are dead" Ben Franklin
    " ------- well Doctor what have we got a Republic or Monarchy? A Republic he replies if you can keep it"
    Benjamin Franklin, 1787 Constitutional Convention, as recorded by signer James McHenry's in his diary at the Library of Congress

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've lapped several yamaha 30 and 40/50 2 stroke reed cages with success. You have to be somewhat reserved with the amount of pressure you apply when using sandpaper (I use 320 and then 400) but they have all laid flat for me afterwards. If its a 30 go ahead and get the 40/50 cages they fit without crank interferrence or have on the ones i've seen.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zul8tr View Post
    Like I and BJuby said no problem with a slight lift, they will seal with CC pressure.

BJuby what CCM reeds do you use, he offers 3 types: Drag, Sport and I think Performance? I suppose there are different thicknesses to each but same material? Any issues with tip frays or breakage ?
    I would have to check the order history. I think my loopers got a different thickness, but marginally. No I have not seen any fraying or issues. I ran the appropriate reeds in my 20H conversion fresh rebuild and my "A" Quincy Looper. Both run great.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

If the engine starts up and performs adequately, then they are O.K....

What you have are "racing reeds". Any good race/high output engine (with reed valves) are going to be raised a bit. The return spring action of the petals under operation bounces them shut and crank-case pressure keeps them shut. The idea of raised reeds is to allow easier intake flow for high RPM applications. Only on low pressure, small and mild fishing motors are seated reeds better. If it were an old 5 or 10 hp fishing motor, raised reeds might be hard to start the motor. But with bigger and modern high output motors with tight crank-cases, raised reeds are a real go to option. Just leave it as is and note the difference in performance. If its the same, try a slightly bigger carb and see if that helps. That's what them reeds are for.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

well maybe i'll give them a run, still might spend a bit more time getting them to seal, maybe less pressure with the screws.

thanks everyone for the replies

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The only problem with reeds not sealing happens when dirt gets under the reeds at the mounting point (and won't blow out in run).

Guess how I found THAT out!

Jeff
    "We live at the bottom of an ocean of air." - General Marvage Slatington

Thread Information