About 1966 or '67, J Dub's dad John Myers acquired a Charleton hydro. Don't know if it was new or used, or where John got it. If memory serves, it was nominally a C Stock boat, and John might have used it for that without my having noticed; what I remember is John's dad, Bill Myers, a wonderful guy (and OLD, it seemed to me as a dumb twenty year old kid)(Bill was fifty then, LOL), running it first in BOH with an old Konig deflector twin, and a little later with a Quincy loop A. The Charleton (correct my spelling if needed) was the only one out here, rather exotic, even a little weird-looking with its enormous-looking cockpit and big round cowl edge but a flat fabric cowl, and odd non-trip angles (steep angle for the sponsons, shallow for the afterplanes). Rode rather flat, seems to me, but I don't recall what the Myers men thought about the ride or handling. I don't know where the boat went after Myers were done with it.

I know that Charleton had been building boats for many years before we saw this one in Reg 10. I never hear anybody make reference to these boats, and it isn't right that they should disappear from our collective memory without a trace. Who can tell us about this boatbuilder? John Schubert will know, I bet. Who used and liked them? When did they cease production? Anybody have photos?

(I hope I haven't asked about this before, and forgotten. I have an excellent memory, but short, nano-seconds sometimes. I couldn't find anything with the Search).