Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 55hp johnson

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 55hp johnson

I have a 55hp short shaft does a 70hp powerhead fit straight on or need adapter plate? And if it does fit is the drive shaft the same spline?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

You will need the 70 hp adapter plate to accommodate the exhaust outlet and tuner requirements of the 49.7 or 56
    .1 cid motors. The splines are different as well. The 49.7 & 56.1 cid early models have a 4 tooth spline rather than a multiple tooth spline as on the 2 cyl. 45 cid, 50,55, & 60 hp models.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just to be clear, madcat, do you have a two cylinder or three cylinder Johnson shortshaft engine your are asking about? (they made both)

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

If it is a 3 cyl then I can answer lots of your questions.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry it's a 2cyl. I wanted to use the short mid and bolt 3cyl power head on for my thundercat. The 2cyl will be too slow compared to the 50 tohatsu..

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Way too much trouble .... the exhaust adapter has a different bolt pattern and the drive shaft is smaller with a different spline.

Put the carbs off the 70 on it with some 75 Stinger jets and install some boyesen reeds and it will outrun the 50 tohatsu.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What year 55 2 cyl?

I have never seen one

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got 2 55hp 2cyl motors. 1 has been mocked up with lightweight sst cowl ,nosecone box . I haven't checked comp but it takes a lot of battery power to crank it. I'll get some carbs reeds and put a tiller on it and see how it goes..I'm in Australia so maybe only come out here the 55 2 cyl? Thanks for your help

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Please post your engine model numbers...

Quote Originally Posted by madcat View Post
    I'm sorry it's a 2cyl. I wanted to use the short mid and bolt 3cyl power head on for my thundercat. The 2cyl will be too slow compared to the 50 tohatsu..
    Ok, I hate to keep stirring this pot, but there was BOTH a 2-cylinder, 55hp small gearcase fishing engine AND a Commercial Johnson 2-cylinder (several years offered) that had a 3-cylinder gearcase with low ratio for workboats. Just post your engine model number at this point so we can be certain on what combination of parts you are starting with. There were short & longshaft 2-cylinder Johnson's with the 2-cylinder gearcase and with the 3-cylinder (Commercial) gearcase. I have a 1990 45hp Johnson Commercial engine, too, and plan to at least install the 2-cylinder gearcase on it for increased speed.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information