Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Announcing the Merc 888

Hybrid View

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

You mean this one? One assumes there were four separate crank throws hiding in there, but...

Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    "We live at the bottom of an ocean of air." - General Marvage Slatington

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Whoa!

Quote Originally Posted by Fastjeff57 View Post
    You mean this one? One assumes there were four separate crank throws hiding in there, but...

Jeff
    Very cool: It's great to see that at least one copy was built! Do you know there the engine is now?

Tim

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, but I have no other info on this other than it was called a KE-9.

Jeff

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

FastJeff:

Do you have any info on the motor in the second photo down on the left side?

Looks to be a different motor. Another way to get 4 cyls, but a different motor.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Gonna have to disappoint you again. Been collecting 'experimental' Mercs for years, but all I have are these photos.

Jeff

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Then there's a Merc V-8...

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Default 888 ignition

Hi Tim,
    I have been looking at my Electromotive ignition system we developed and run on our 4 cylinder Mercs and I believe you can use the box with the dual output coils. It should be very easy to setup in that 2 cylinders will fire at the same time. If you need info let me know and I will E mail the Tec Manual to you. Doug has done a number of them.

Alan

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fascinating!

Quote Originally Posted by Aeroliner View Post
    Hi Tim,
    I have been looking at my Electromotive ignition system we developed and run on our 4 cylinder Mercs and I believe you can use the box with the dual output coils. It should be very easy to setup in that 2 cylinders will fire at the same time. If you need info let me know and I will E mail the Tec Manual to you. Doug has done a number of them.

Alan
    Thanks for the input everybody. The 888 project has captured the imaginations of many, with great suggestions to overcome specific problems, and a fantastic array of Mercury prototype images. Please keep them coming.

This week the master & link rod concept will be developed further in hopes of using factory needle bearings and centerline loading for the slave piston. You're questions/recommendations will be answered in turn.

Tim

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the master/link rod arrangement would be the best way to go. I worked on radial aircraft engines when I retired. I worked in a shop that overhauled/restored all makes of radial engines. A very practical solution to compact multi cylinder engine. The biggest negative factor is a very large frontal area, not at all aerodynamic. Not a factor here. Very durable but may not be suitable for high horsepower/rpm applications.

We had one come in that had a piston seize which caused the rod to break taking out the two adjacent cylinders. The owner was able to fly it several miles back to the airport. He had a hard time seeing through the oil on the windshield.
    kk

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 888 Ignition layout

Quote Originally Posted by Aeroliner View Post
    Hi Tim,

Alan
    Apologies to all as memory suggested that the ignition concept
    was published, but a review of posts found it was not! See the sketch below:888 Ignition.doc

BRF didn't like the ignition upload, so here it is explained: The Mercury firing order is 1-3-4-2. The 888 is comprised of two banks of MK58A cylinder blocks; situated fore and aft. The front bank cylinders are 1-2-3-4, the rear bank cylinders are 5-6-7-8. With all eight cylinders tied to the same four pin crank, cylinders fire in pairs as follows: 1 & 6, then 3 & 8, then 2 & 5, then 4 & 7.

Does this make more sense now?

Tim

Thread Information