Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Announcing the Merc 888

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default A picture is worth a thousand words

Quote Originally Posted by Aeroliner View Post
    Nice project Tim,
    Well getting fuel and lube around might be a bit of an issue. One thing you might consider is to make a regular dry sump lube system with an oil pump. Reed block could stay in without the reeds and stops. The center main bearing carrier could be machined to allow the oil to drain down where it cam be pumped our. Exterior oil line to spray nozzle's should due the trick to keep the rotating system and the back side of the piston lubricated. For starting you can install a primer system to spray fuel into the intakes. With an electric pump this would be easy. This assumes that the carb will be in a pressure box.

Good luck,
    Alan
    Hi Alan, et al,

Here goes on Q&A:

1) Great thought was given to crank/rod oiling. For this reason, single point mixture entry was chosen. This forces mixture to travel from the front bank diagonally through the crankcase to feed the rear bank. An 8:1 fuel-oil ratio will slobber the internals. As noted, reed cages (bronze) will be installed without reeds, and the center main will be perforated to encourage further inter-cavity mixture migration.

2) Automotive crank trigger inductive (or capacitive discharge) systems are designed to fire one coil each, in sequence. Discussion with MSD and Pertronix (so far) suggests that firing two different cylinders simultaneously requires twin parallel systems (like aircraft or top fuel engines). Both are fine solutions, but bulky and expensive. Instead, a test rig will determine if four simple prox. sensors will fire four GM HEI modules through eight coils, or eight HEI modules firing eight coils, etc. I not successful, twin belt-driven VW Type I distributors will be considered.

3) As pointed out, RR Merlin-style blade and fork style rods are far and away the most elegant solution to support directly opposed cylinders. Yes, the existing Mercury crank can be altered at great trouble and expense to accommodate custom rods, only to compromise balance and torsional rigidity. Better yet, a press-pin crank could be assembled with beefier journals, and one-piece fork & blade rods running on separate needle bearings.

This is an experiment to determine if a turbo scavenged, open crankcase two-stroke will behave sufficiently well to consider future development. It's convenient that 60+ year old Mercury are plentiful to use as a base (they also happen to look bad-***!). If the engine actually runs and behaves itself, my thoughts are offset rods, separate pumping chambers, and loop scavenging........

Name:  Rods on journal.JPG
Views: 484
Size:  358.4 KBName:  Pistons-Rods.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  159.8 KB

Tim

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Updated images

Better images for examination & comment.Name:  IMG_1158.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  311.0 KBName:  IMG_1157.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  245.3 KBName:  IMG_1156.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  216.0 KBName:  IMG_1155.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  196.3 KBName:  IMG_1154.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  163.5 KBName:  IMG_1153.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  147.3 KB

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I remember seeing a pic of experimental Merc opposed 4 built with 2 cylinder KG-Mark 20 type blocks when they were contemplating 40 hp engines types. I can't remember where it was- maybe in the Kiekhaefer book. No details on the internal details but obviously the in-line 4 became preferable.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default KF-9 prototype

Quote Originally Posted by hydroplay View Post
    I remember seeing a pic of experimental Merc opposed 4 built with 2 cylinder KG-Mark 20 type blocks when they were contemplating 40 hp engines types. I can't remember where it was- maybe in the Kiekhaefer book. No details on the internal details but obviously the in-line 4 became preferable.
    Actually, Karl wrote a patent app. in 1948 (granted in April 3, 1951) for an opposed four based on two KF-7 (pre-MK 20) blocks. A somewhat crude cutaway sketch shows offset blocks with a four throw crank providing crankcase compression, all wrapped under a "green pumpkin" cowling. Claims granted were for modular assembly designed to reduce the cost of manufacturing. Google "Kiekhaefer opposed 4 cylinder" and you'll find a pdf for interesting reading.

My guess is packaging challenges made the in-line more practical.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

You mean this one? One assumes there were four separate crank throws hiding in there, but...

Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    "We live at the bottom of an ocean of air." - General Marvage Slatington

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Whoa!

Quote Originally Posted by Fastjeff57 View Post
    You mean this one? One assumes there were four separate crank throws hiding in there, but...

Jeff
    Very cool: It's great to see that at least one copy was built! Do you know there the engine is now?

Tim

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, but I have no other info on this other than it was called a KE-9.

Jeff

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

FastJeff:

Do you have any info on the motor in the second photo down on the left side?

Looks to be a different motor. Another way to get 4 cyls, but a different motor.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Gonna have to disappoint you again. Been collecting 'experimental' Mercs for years, but all I have are these photos.

Jeff

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Then there's a Merc V-8...

Jeff

Thread Information