Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Racing in Louisana

Post Thanks / Like

Default Racing in Louisana

The Louisiana Boat Racing Association (LBRA) is pleased to announce that the City of Alexandria through the Greater Alexandria Economic Development Board (GAEDA) has approved a grant for the club to be utilized for our opening NBRA race of the 2016 racing season. With this grant we will utilize the funds to promote the race, which will be held at Tunk’s Cypress Inn restaurant on beautiful Lake Kincaid Louisiana. For additional info use this link (http://www.tunkscypressinn.com/). The event is scheduled for May 19 through the 22nd. With this grant we will be capable of paying at least $3,000 in tow money and as we work with other potential sponsors we hope to improve on this amount. We are looking forward to another great event at this site and hope all boat racers come join us for this event and enjoy our Louisiana hospitality.

The LBRA is also hosting the NBRA short course nationals on July 8 through the 10th on Lake Buhlow Louisiana. For this event we have a primary sponsor that will allow us to pay out $10,000 in tow money for the event. We are still working with other potential sponsors to bring in additional funding. If we are successful it might also provide funds that we will allocate to prize money for the event. The city of Alexandria is excited about getting back to boat racing where there has been a rich history of national events and is fully supporting the efforts of the LBRA through the NBRA to foster boat racing in the area.

Thinking ahead to 2017, I know it is a long way off, but it not to soon to start planning. The City of Alexandria LA would like to see a boat race on the Red river in the heart of the city. There is an excellent site that is located between the two bridges that offers great spectator viewing. This race would also be a summer race and offer outstanding tow money, far greater then our short course nationals for 2016. This is a great location and can be viewed on Google Earth. We have done some early reviews of the area and have talked with the city about installing paved launching ramps. I would like to hear from folks about this potential race site.

The LBRA is working hard to grow our sport and is actively working to make it happen. For anyone that needs additional information please contact me. I would also like to have you as a member of our club.

Alan van Weele President of LBRA
    Apvw1@aol.com
    337-304-0379

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear Alexandria, one of the greatest boat racing venues in the world, is back in business. Good luck!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ketzer View Post
    Glad to hear Alexandria, one of the greatest boat racing venues in the world, is back in business. Good luck!

Now if we could just get your Dad and Butch back, Todd Brinkman Sr., plus many others, we (you/I) could regain some of our youth. Some of the best times of my life were spent in Alexandria, from 1968 on till the lake shut down for racing. We had a USTS race there right after the change of the Millennium and I got to see Wayne Baldwin, Clyde and Charlotte Queen and others from the "Golden Age" of outboard racing. Sadly, Todd Brinkman (Jr.) decided I was an accident waiting to happen in my own boat and did the testing himself as our Driver was not there yet.

Haven't forgiven him yet!!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, Bill Van, failing that, maybe we could show up at Alex, watch the races, and then hit a bar to toast boat racers and pit crew no longer with us. That's a lot of toasts, so we'd have to be careful not to fall off our bar stools--wouldn't want to break at hip at our age.

Stevie

Post Thanks / Like

If one cannot have a good time at Tunks then one simply is not capable of having a good time!!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Checking it out on the Internet, Tunk's came into being a year or two after the Ketzer Racing Team raced last in Alex, and, besides, at the time, we were just working class folks and spent all our spare money on boats, motors, and gas to get to races (had sandwiches in the motorhome, didn't go to restaurants). But, Tunk's looks great! I'm going to get the gator and fries! Whaddya say, Bill Van, meet at Tunk's for beer and gator?

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know anything about Tunk's, but if you guys will be there....I will too!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Heck, Wayne, if you're going, I'll definitely go. We need to round up Bill Van. He gone crickets again.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Louisiana Boat Racing

As we try to rebuild boat racing here in the south we have set some basic goals. The first of which is to get our club up and running with now has 23 members. We had to create LBRA this past spring when the Louisiana club was unable to host the first race of this year held at Tunk's. From zero 7 weeks before the race to a Louisiana not for profit organization was a bit of a task but worked out well. For 2016 and beyond we hope to have a number of races held in Louisiana. Hopefully we can grow our club membership and we would love to have folks that have raced in the past join as a non racing member. Currently we are working on an LBRA web site to post information about the club, members and events and should have that up and running in a few weeks.

When the NBRA hosts a race we will have blocks of room reserved in the area for both racers and folks wanting to attend the event. The two races we will have this year is only a start. The City of Alexandria is looking forward to bringing back racing to their fine city.

Things were doing now to get ready are for the next season are to acquire a new digital starting clock with 36 inch numbers and a slave clock with 24 inch numbers for the fans to view. The NBRA Oklahoma club is making this a joint venture. All donations are tax deductible through the Oklahoma 501C3 not for profit status. Additionally we are working on getting a support boat for the races and hope we can make that happen. We have had great support form the city to date with there marine unit but would like to enhance our capabilities.

Thought for the furfure. I have been talking with Paul Christner about a starting a small series of MOD races. The title of what were working on is the Quincy All American Racing League. What we want to establish is a small series of races that will only use engines built in the USA. We are currently working on a rule book that allows for the old engines to come out and race again. It will be designed to make cost of running as low as possible. Things like wood boats only, two bladed props only and so on. We will be using the Quincy dyno sheets as a way to place engine in a specific class. If anyone has any ideas on this subject let me know. Having been a Quincy dealer in the early 70's on Long Island NY I still would love to see the Loopers run again along with the cross flows. Between my brother and I we have more then 20 loopers. The first race when we get things worked out will be held on Lake Burlow. It might even become a southern reunion!

Alan

A few photos from Tunk's
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Post Thanks / Like

Default LBRA and OBRA clock fund

We are very close to our goal of $6,200., to pay for a new 36" Alzetec clock that we'll be used at some of our races and the Claremore Nationals. Many clubs have this clock as it is the standard now in outboard racing, because of it's large bright numbers. It is the lowest cost of clocks of its size. This clock that will be used in 2016, maybe called the Gold Bond Clock will be owned by members of NBRA that have donated to its purchase. Since a race clock faces out to be seen by the racers, we will also will have a second 24" clock that faces to the Spectators so they can see the count down. This will help our fans to understand our starts. If you want to donate to this clock, send a donation (tax deductible) to OBRA : Rick miller, 2209 so. Main, Grove, Ok. 74344 thanks for your help.

Thread Information