Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: What to bring to a race....

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default You need to make shear pins out of aircraft bolts

When we got to Phoenix in 1976 we realized we left the tool box at home with ALL the tools. Only time we ever did that. So a pit man and myself drove into Phoenix looking for an auto parts or industrial supply store. We were just driving around aimlessly when my pit man saw a Snap On tool truck pass through the intersection ahead. We hurried up and made a right turn to catch up. It took a block and a half of honking and flashing lights before he pulled over. He had everything we needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pitboss
    What to bring to a kneel-down race...Funny thing...nobody mentioned lots of props and SHEAR PINS because if you have enough for yourself...your "buddy " forgot his pins.

Keep dry Pitboss

I'm working on it... Ron, it just jot here today. It's very light. I'll let you know how it works out when I get a chance to try it. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Sean Byrne
    69R 169R

Post Thanks / Like

Default The CAMERA...

Sean, I talked to Jim O'Berto, yesterday, he's just getting back into racing and helping John Peters....a shirt tail relative...I've known Jim a long time, never been really close to him...but I'll bet my life he'll help you in anyway he can...Don't be a fraid to go ask him anything....

As I told you the "WINGER" ain't for the faint at heart in OSY 400.....John Peters may like it as an A WHEEL...(Don't let them get it away from you cheap)....

I think we'll be seeing some O'Berto Beef Jerky ads here soon!!!

Stay tuned...

ALWAYS NEED A CAMERA...May need to take pictures of "SNAPPERS".... (That was also the name of my boat)...I'd be to Snapper XXXII by now....

And, sometime it is good to take pictures of props......as in propellers....

ADD TOOL BOX STORY: AAt the 1967 Canton, OHIO, OPC Nationals a nice young man and his son helped us all week. When we loaded up to go to inspection, we put our tool box in their truck to drive over to the boat (My dad was pulling the boat with his 66 Chevy and it seems easier to have this guy bring the tool box...Well, we went to inspection, the guy and his son went home...we never saw our tool box again.... So much for HUMAN NATURE!!!! My dad just said, "Maybe the guy needed them."......SOmethings would set my old man off, somethings wouldn't...

Now went Edgar Rose told me to pull my head off my Evinrude, I went off on Edgar...I said, "I'll pull my head when THEM Mercury guys pull their heads." I said, "How are you going to inspect those MERC GUYS???" I said, "You want to inspect my motor...???Go for it. But I AIN'T PULING NO HEADS."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mercguy
    well, I got my Cmod Merc all reassembled over the past weekend. Just finished applying the last coat of West on the bottom of my CMH yesterday, not have it turned back over for the final coat of West in the cockpit and outside, then will start prepping it for primer, then paint. Hope to go pick up my new Dawe CSH tand Dudley Malone's CSH his coming weekend........then have LOTS of work to do......

Shoot me a picture, Daren, I'd love to see it when you get it done
    Sean Byrne
    69R 169R

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RonHill
    Sean, I talked to Jim O'Berto, yesterday, he's just getting back into racing and helping John Peters....a shirt tail relative...I've known Jim a long time, never been really close to him...but I'll bet my life he'll help you in anyway he can...Don't be a fraid to go ask him anything....

As I told you the "WINGER" ain't for the faint at heart in OSY 400.....John Peters may like it as an A WHEEL...(Don't let them get it away from you cheap)....

Stay tuned...

ALWAYS NEED A CAMERA...May need to take pictures of "SNAPPERS".... (That was also the name of my boat)...I'd be to Snapper XXXII by now....

ADD TOOL BOX STORY: AAt the 1967 Canton, OHIO, OPC Nationals a nice young man and his son helped us all week. When we loaded up to go to inspection, we put our tool box in their truck to drive over to the boat (My dad was pulling the boat with his 66 Chevy and it seems easier to have this guy bring the tool box...Well, we went to inspection, the guy and his son went home...we never saw our tool box again.... So much for HUMAN NATURE!!!! My dad just said, "Maybe the guy needed them."......SOmethings would set my old man off, somethings wouldn't...

Now went Edgar Rose told me to pull my head off my Evinrude, I went off on Edgar...I said, "I'll pull my head when THEM Mercury guys pull their heads." I said, "How are you going to inspect those MERC GUYS???" I said, "You want to inspect my motor...???Go for it. But I AIN'T PULING NO HEADS."

Thanks again Ron. I just wish spring were a little closer. I was hoping the warm fall would last a little longer so I could take it for a spin over Thanksgiving. If it stays as cold as it is I probably won't, but you never know. I remember when I was 17 and my dad got a new 19' Sterling ski boat with a 140 Merc. It was end of November and I love to waterski. Well, I wasn't going to let 35 deg weather slow me down. I had my dad put the boat in and I went skiing. I could hardly let go of the rope at the end of the run my hands were so cold.

Any rate, thanks to all who posted. Its been very helpful
    Sean Byrne
    69R 169R

Post Thanks / Like

Default There Ain't Not "NEW" Sterlings...

I was thinking...don't forget a spare tire for the trailer and a JACK that works... and a lug wrench that actually fits the lugs on the trailer...

Advil ain't all bad either!!!

I was thinking about what Pitboss said....Don't forget to bring the Mother-in-law....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Seanp3
    Shoot me a picture, Daren, I'd love to see it when you get it done
    I will, as soon as I get a new "link cord" for my camera...........the old one finally got worn out and broke.....
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RonHill

Stay tuned...

"Sean, I talked to Jim O'Berto, yesterday, he's just getting back into racing and helping John Peters....a shirt tail relative...I've known Jim a long time, never been really close to him...but I'll bet my life he'll help you in anyway he can...Don't be a fraid to go ask him anything...."

they were at the last oroville race. That old Pavlick still runs great!!
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Seanp3
    Thanks again Ron. I just wish spring were a little closer. I was hoping the warm fall would last a little longer so I could take it for a spin over Thanksgiving. If it stays as cold as it is I probably won't, but you never know. I remember when I was 17 and my dad got a new 19' Sterling ski boat with a 140 Merc. It was end of November and I love to waterski. Well, I wasn't going to let 35 deg weather slow me down. I had my dad put the boat in and I went skiing. I could hardly let go of the rope at the end of the run my hands were so cold.

Any rate, thanks to all who posted. Its been very helpful
    Sean, SOA puts on a novice school in early spring. My nephew has put on the last couple of them, and this year's ought to be well attended with all of the new J drivers. There's always a batch of current drivers and officials at the novice school that can answer a lot of your questions. I think they even try to have a rigged boat there to look at. This would be well worth a drive over the hill for you. I'll make sure Ryan has your e-mail.

ps - wouldn't mind trying that prop on a 20ss rig. looks like one we got spanked with most of the season by Jon Nilsen (when we weren't chasin that red & green Pavlick!)
    Mike Johnson

World Headquarters

Portland, Oregon USA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cameraboy
    Sean, SOA puts on a novice school in early spring. My nephew has put on the last couple of them, and this year's ought to be well attended with all of the new J drivers. There's always a batch of current drivers and officials at the novice school that can answer a lot of your questions. I think they even try to have a rigged boat there to look at. This would be well worth a drive over the hill for you. I'll make sure Ryan has your e-mail.

ps - wouldn't mind trying that prop on a 20ss rig. looks like one we got spanked with most of the season by Jon Nilsen (when we weren't chasin that red & green Pavlick!)

Sounds really good. Keep me posted. I'd really like to come over and attend and bring my 13 yr old son. I can't quite tell how excited he is to do this stuff, but I'd really like to do it before I get too old. I'm curious how the prop will do also. I'd like to get together with someone locally (westside or eastside) and get out on the water and give me some pointer on setup and how to tune up the Yamato, etc. I've got most the tools needed I just not quite sure how to do it yet. I'm sure there a bunch of guys on the westside that could help out. I just haven't met them yet. Thanks for the info and keep me posted on the novice school.
    Sean Byrne
    69R 169R

Thread Information