Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: What to bring to a race....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Welcome aboard, Sean!

Quote Originally Posted by Seanp3
    Sounds really good. Keep me posted. I'd really like to come over and attend and bring my 13 yr old son. I can't quite tell how excited he is to do this stuff, but I'd really like to do it before I get too old. I'm curious how the prop will do also. I'd like to get together with someone locally (westside or eastside) and get out on the water and give me some pointer on setup and how to tune up the Yamato, etc. I've got most the tools needed I just not quite sure how to do it yet. I'm sure there a bunch of guys on the westside that could help out. I just haven't met them yet. Thanks for the info and keep me posted on the novice school.
    Sean, stay in touch----there's some talk of a pre-season Feb or March testing session east of the mountains over at Scooteney near Connell. If it happens, it would be great if you could come along. It would get you lots of help to get started, plus the somewhat "controlled" (relative term) conditions of testing with a bunch of fellow racers.

Have you got all your gear now? Engine? safety equipment? etc? Gimme a shout if I can help.

Hope to meet you soon,

Patrick Gleason
    R-19

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sponsonhead
    Sean, stay in touch----there's some talk of a pre-season Feb or March testing session east of the mountains over at Scooteney near Connell. If it happens, it would be great if you could come along. It would get you lots of help to get started, plus the somewhat "controlled" (relative term) conditions of testing with a bunch of fellow racers.

Have you got all your gear now? Engine? safety equipment? etc? Gimme a shout if I can help.

Hope to meet you soon,

Patrick Gleason
    R-19

Patrick, thanks a ton. I would really enjoy getting together and doing some testing. What I have right now is the basics to get on the water....Boat completely rigged, Y80, and a couple props. I will be ordering a helmet shortly, and would love to find some used kevlar, but haven't been able to locate any. So it looks like I will be stopping by SRP on one of my trips over the hill. I will send you a PM with my email so you can keep in touch when spring rolls around.
    Sean Byrne
    69R 169R

Post Thanks / Like

Default Did I Mention Spare Trailer Tire???

You don't need it, until you need it...

We're going to Chowchilla...it is two thirty A.M., I'm sleeping. We pass the Dawes along side the road...They wake me up and say we just pasted the Dawes.... I say we're they sleeping? No, they say they were working on something...

I say, "Maybe, we should go back." Everyone says, "We only have a spare tire."...Nine O'clock the next day the days come rollling into the race. "Damn, they say, we sure could have used a spare tire."......

I our defense: Bowman was driving, since LA, and running about 80.....he was going to Chowchilla, damn it, and going to bed...The Dawes were only two miles from town...and I had been asleep since LA...5 1/2 hours...

20:20 hindsight, we should have helped the Dawes...had we gotten off the freeway, back tracked five miles...and found out they were taking a leak....(The next day, we did givbe them our spare tire...even though I worried all the way home we'd need it..)...

Tip of the DAY!!!*** Never BUY BEER when your car needs oil.....**** The car needs oil before you buy beer...(If you have money for both, no problem...but don't "SHORT" the car!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default thanks Ron.........

Quote Originally Posted by RonHill
    You don't need it, until you need it...

We're going to Chowchilla...it is two thirty A.M., I'm sleeping. We pass the Dawes along side the road...They wake me up and say we just pasted the Dawes.... I say we're they sleeping? No, they say they were working on something...

I say, "Maybe, we should go back." Everyone says, "We only have a spare tire."...Nine O'clock the next day the days come rollling into the race. "Damn, they say, we sure could have used a spare tire."......

I our defense: Bowman was driving, since LA, and running about 80.....he was going to Chowchilla, damn it, and going to bed...The Dawes were only two miles from town...and I had been asleep since LA...5 1/2 hours...

20:20 hindsight, we should have helped the Dawes...had we gotten off the freeway, back tracked five miles...and found out they were taking a leak....(The next day, we did givbe them our spare tire...even though I worried all the way home we'd need it..)...

Tip of the DAY!!!*** Never BUY BEER when your car needs oil.....**** The car needs oil before you buy beer...(If you have money for both, no problem...but don't "SHORT" the car!!!

as we (me, my brother, his girlfriend and my little 2yr old niece) were the next ones to pass the Dawes on the side of the road at 2AM. Well, WE DID STOP and thus spent the next 4hrs swapping tires, of which they blew the spare on the trailer, so we then borrowed the spare from Steven's 45 to get them going again. Then, I get a call that Steven blew a tire on hi 45 trailer and his spare was on the "kneeler" trailer now. So........we pulled in at 7am, of which I had started driving at 5pm the day before.......so, because of YOU, I was driving for 12hrs non-stop!!!!! Then was racing 4 classes that day.......

so, next time STOP!!!!!!! .......
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

Post Thanks / Like

Default I Wasn't Driving...

Bowman is very "FOCUSED" .......or another way of sayig it, is, when He's driving...he's a man with a mission...So, I wasn't driving...we got a pretty good night's sleep...listening to the WHOLE story..hell, I'm glad we didn't stop...
    Actually, Chad did call Steven on his cell and it was turned off!!!

Do you want a cleaver for Parker or do you want me writing all night??

Post Thanks / Like

lol 0do the words bigger hubs and tires mean anything lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RonHill
    Bowman is very "FOCUSED" .......or another way of sayig it, is, when He's driving...he's a man with a mission...So, I wasn't driving...we got a pretty good night's sleep...listening to the WHOLE story..hell, I'm glad we didn't stop...
    Actually, Chad did call Steven on his cell and it was turned off!!!

Do you want a cleaver for Parker or do you want me writing all night??

glad to hear you guys got a good night's sleep........atleast someone did. I tried sleeping for about an hour in my trailer, but the bugs were out, so only got about 20min's of sleep, before it was time to get the boats unloaded and rigged..........

so, which cleaver?
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kws
    lol 0do the words bigger hubs and tires mean anything lol

bigger hubs and tires DO NOT stop the 125 degree heat in Indio, Ca from damaging the side walls, causing them to crack severly!
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

Post Thanks / Like

daren im not saying it will STOP the heat. but the bigger around the tire is the slower it turns (baised on the same speed)the less heat it builds up.
    yes i understand it wont stop u from having tires fail due to heat but they will last longer in the same conditions

Post Thanks / Like

Our trip to Depue for the stock race was the same way. Blew a trailer tire in Rochester. Stopped at "The Mans Mall" ie. Fleet Farm Replaced both tires and wheels on the trailer. Seventy miles later in LaCrosse we blew out a rear tire on the van. Looked at the rest of the van tires and they were all blistered. Not fun with a wife, dog and two month old daughter along. So much for leaving early. And it was near 100 on that trip. Travel at night, it's cooler
    Davey

Thread Information