Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: What to bring to a race....

Post Thanks / Like

Default no snow here.........

Quote Originally Posted by Seanp3
    Jeff - nice touch!!

Not lacking in confidence right now. I'm actually kind of anxious - kind of looking forward for spring already and its forcasted for snow by end of week. Daren, I think you have it made down there - no snow to deal with.
    was 85 yesterday, but has cooled down to the 70's today......
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

Post Thanks / Like

Legal gas was mentioned. What would be illegal - if you mixed it with something you were not supposed to? If you fill up a tank with regular gas are you in good standing? Geeze, the more answers I get the more questions I have

just stick to regular old pump gas, no need for anything more. You "might" just buy a couple gallons of "race gas" to add slightly to your normal racing gas, just to make sure you pass inspection......
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

Post Thanks / Like

Default your lucky......

Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H
    "oxygenated" gas would be illegal.

In some high smog areas the EPA requires all or a major quanity of the gas sold to have a small amount of an alcohol mixed in. This gas is illegal in boat racing unless the race committee finds that all local gas would normally be illegal and declares a "gas of the day" rule. This has never happened at a race I attended in the east.

oxygenated gas should be clearly labeled on the pump, but you might get so used to seeing the sticker that you have started ignoring it

If you are not sure, ask the inspector to test your gas BEFORE YOU RACE!
    as alot of the gas in S.Cal will not pass inspection! Case in point, Bakersfield, Ca, the local Chevron Station that is used for "fuel of the day" will read + on the meter........
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

Post Thanks / Like

Default me......dumb *** also.........

Quote Originally Posted by David_L6
    Bottled water, shade (easy-up, etc....), every tool you own or have ever wanted to own , clothes for hot weather, clothes for cold weather (I thought I was going to freeze to death in August in northeastern Alabama one year).

Try not to forget anything when you head out. I'm almost glad we don't race at El Dorado, AR anymore...... That race was only 1 1/2 - 2 hours away, but my luck there was never very good. First place I flipped a boat? El Dorado!
    One year I went there and forgot my gas tank and had to go buy one from a local dealership (I was racing CMH and CMR back then and using a 3 gallon Mercury tank). Another time when I was rigging up one of my boats I couldn't find my prop box when it came time to put a prop on. (Want to guess where it was? ) My Dad had to drive back to my house and get my props while I was sweatin' it out in the drivers' meeting hoping that he would make it back in time (he did).
    since I was bringing my small trailer to one race, I packed minimal items, thus forgetting the "megaphones" for my Cmod Merc..............

best thing to do is make a list and keep it handy or have a BIG trailer and keep everything inside, which is what I ended up doing.........
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

Post Thanks / Like

Default FIRST AID Kit!

Quote Originally Posted by BPIII125V
    Hi Sean,

First off I'd like to say that for the most part what you forget at home someone will lend you. There are a lot of generous people in the sport who will do about anything to get you on the water. That said, here is more stuff to bring:

2 cycle oil
    WD40
    gear case oil
    prop nuts
    spark plugs
    tools - screw drivers wrenches etc
    knee pads or pad for boat
    wet shoes
    extra clothes
    sunscreen
    camera
    video if you have it
    GPS for recording speeds - or Keller speedometer
    notebook to keep track of your set ups and results
    stop watch - some guys like to have one in the boat so they can make timed runs at the clock before the race starts
    sponge
    drain plugs
    starting fluid - for drying out engine
    small plastic bucket
    soap/hand cleaner
    waders - if the water is cold
    extra starter ropes - depending on the engine you run
    shim sticks - 1/16", 1/8", 1/4"
    height checker - make sure you are legal (can borrow)
    angle checker - to check prop shaft angle (should have one since they are all slightly different
    EZ canopy (nice to have)
    legal gas - have yours checked before you mix with oil
    paper towels
    duct tape
    extra kill switch tether
    cordless drill & bits
    food & drink
    test wheel
    holy cow, no wonder I need a bigger van

I'm sure there is more, maybe someone else could chime in.

Bill III
    so when you do cut you hand or fingers on the prop, you will have the necessary items to fix yourself up........

ALSO, it is MANDITORY to have a fire extinguisher also!!!!!
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

Post Thanks / Like

Default snow ?

Jeff - nice touch!!

Not lacking in confidence right now. I'm actually kind of anxious - kind of looking forward for spring already and its forcasted for snow by end of week. Daren, I think you have it made down there - no snow to deal with.
    Hmmm, I'll be heading up your way (Kent,WA). be there all of next week, I'll bring some California sunshine with me

I hate snow
    Jeff 93-C

Post Thanks / Like

Default And...

Toilet paper.....
    Except at San Diego, man were their ****ters High Tech...When you went in the seat saluted you....very clean, too...

Bt many places.......we seem to race...a man could die in them Rent-a-heads... (A woman could die for sure...)....

Tim mention CHEAP BEER.....No one has mentioned a HUGE COOLER, with a lot of ice.....Many places don't have ice and a MARTINI without ice is REAL BAD...and hot beer...well, need I say more...

Did Bill's list have sandpaper and a file...seems I never have the right grit sandpaper....

Portable generator, for lights, to work on the boat at night....

ADD AGAIN SENSE OF HUMOR: CHOWCHILLA was at least a hundred and twenty (123 degrees on Saturday)....with no wind.

We went to a party that night in Fresno, inside the house was 100 degrees and it felt cool compared to outside (And this was 9 P.M.)...

DUCT TAPE the color of you equipment...Duct Tape will fix anything...it replaces stiches....super glue works too...you can super glue most cuts with super glue...

ANYTHING IN THE GARAGE that looks like you might need or that you might sell....

Now, you see why I just bought a 34 foot trailer ot race 45......

Post Thanks / Like

Ron,

What will you be using to tow the 34' trailer? It has to be big! Any pictures of it?
    Joe Silvestri
    CSH/500MH

My avatar picture is complements of Fred Eckert. 1997 Hinton, WV Nationals Thundermug 20-H Runabout.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bowman's Got an F-350

Pat has an F-350...but the "SUCKER" is a bumper PULL...Probably pull my bumper right off...

Trailer is paid for...Chad has some pictures.......trying like hell to figure out where to park it....Maybe, in Needles next to the bar...if business was slow I could go work on the boats...

OH...Don't forget the TRAILER when you go to the races......One time, Tom Goldstone showed up at Salton Sea...We said, "Where's your boat Tom?" He said, "Funny you should ask...but we pulled the trailer out of the garage, and dad thought I hooked it on and we came here and didn't notice we didn't have it until we got here." If yopu know Tom, you'd know this tio be true...

When Tom first started driving my dad told Tom to "WATCH the Water." My dad noticed Tom looking out the side of the boat....My dad asked Tom what the hell was he doing? Tom said you told me to watch the water and that was what I was doing.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Akers
    Hmmm, I'll be heading up your way (Kent,WA). be there all of next week, I'll bring some California sunshine with me

I hate snow
    \

hmmmmmmmmm..........Kent, that was the last place I went to OMC school at (missed the Master Tech Qual by 3pts on my test, the first time in 92!). Is that where you are headed Jeff? I thought that school was gone?
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

Thread Information