Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 75hp Johnson Stinger low Compression PLEASE HELP

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 75hp Johnson Stinger low Compression PLEASE HELP

I've got a 1980 75hp Johnson Stinger 20" club foot on a 1652 aluminum boat. I've ran this motor a good bit in the last year and it always runs really strong and fast, but will not idle very well. The carbs are clean and have new main jets installed (did not help idle problem). It spits and sputters a mist back out of the top carb and cuts off under low rmps.

I bought a compression tester and the compression checked out weak yesterday @ 79,80, & 85 lbs. Is this low compression possible on a motor that runs strong? Do you think I got a bad compression tester. I tested the motor warm with all the plugs out and at wide open throttle.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Justin

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Check and replace the reeds. The mist out the top carb is hint something maybe going on with reeds.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Can the reed valves affect the compression readings?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

No but your compression readings are all with 10% of each other. I would not be overly concerned. Replace the reeds and retest your engine. I think they are your issue and will fix idle and run quality.

Just my 2 cents.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds to me like you need a THOROUGH carb cleaning, followed by a procedure in your service manual called "Sync & Link" where you synchronize (properly per the book) the carb butterfly opening to the timing advance mechanism... I have done lots of them and they make a sick engine run like new.

You also may have lost the clear, outer sleeve off the carb advance cam roller ("Roller & Sleeve ***'y" in the parts list) so the timing is advancing ahead of the throttle plates. That would cause the "Lean Spit" backfire through the carbs.

I'm in Georgia, too (Buford / Lake Lanier) Where are you located?

Tom

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 25XS View Post
    Sounds to me like you need a THOROUGH carb cleaning, followed by a procedure in your service manual called "Sync & Link" where you synchronize (properly per the book) the carb butterfly opening to the timing advance mechanism... I have done lots of them and they make a sick engine run like new.

You also may have lost the clear, outer sleeve off the carb advance cam roller ("Roller & Sleeve ***'y" in the parts list) so the timing is advancing ahead of the throttle plates. That would cause the "Lean Spit" backfire through the carbs.

I'm in Georgia, too (Buford / Lake Lanier) Where are you located?

Tom
    I live in Wayne County on the Altamaha River.

I've had the carbs off and adjusted the linkages and stuff when I installed the tiller handle, so that could be the problem. I really don't think it's trash in the carbs. I feel like I'm pretty good at cleaning the carbs. I would take it to the boat mechanic here, but I don't have a lot of confidence in them. Do you think my compression is too low? I have read that these stinger motors should be around 150psi.

Thanks for the help! I'll research the Sync and Link

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Camohunter posted, "I would take it to the boat mechanic here, but I don't have a lot of confidence in them."

I understand... That is an understandable predicament.

When you cleaned the carbs, did you remove the round, aluminum discs (core plugs, welch plugs...) and remove all the orifice jets to expose the deepest inner workings of the carb when you cleaned it? You'll need a complete carb kit to do this.

The middle carburetor should have a "Cam Follower" plastic wheel on it's actuator lever and that cam follower rides on the timing advance cam. You have to synchronize that motion "PER THE BOOK" and that procedure starts with verifying the TopDeadCenter pointer is accurate.

Regarding your compression numbers... Yes; I think your gauge is bad. Clean the Schraeder valve (check valve) near the sparkplug end of the hose and try again.

Tom

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 25XS View Post
    Camohunter posted, "I would take it to the boat mechanic here, but I don't have a lot of confidence in them."

I understand... That is an understandable predicament.

When you cleaned the carbs, did you remove the round, aluminum discs (core plugs, welch plugs...) and remove all the orifice jets to expose the deepest inner workings of the carb when you cleaned it? You'll need a complete carb kit to do this.

The middle carburetor should have a "Cam Follower" plastic wheel on it's actuator lever and that cam follower rides on the timing advance cam. You have to synchronize that motion "PER THE BOOK" and that procedure starts with verifying the TopDeadCenter pointer is accurate.

Regarding your compression numbers... Yes; I think your gauge is bad. Clean the Schraeder valve (check valve) near the sparkplug end of the hose and try again.

Tom
    I didn't pull the welch plugs. I'm sure that's sound advice. I did pull all the brass orfices and made sure the passages were open. The "cam follower" is there and seems to be in good shape.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by camohunter View Post
    I live in Wayne County on the Altamaha River.

I've had the carbs off and adjusted the linkages and stuff when I installed the tiller handle, so that could be the problem. I really don't think it's trash in the carbs. I feel like I'm pretty good at cleaning the carbs. I would take it to the boat mechanic here, but I don't have a lot of confidence in them. Do you think my compression is too low? I have read that these stinger motors should be around 150psi.

Thanks for the help! I'll research the Sync and Link

The stinger engine you have is just a fishing engine nothing special
    150psi you wont see in your engine as its a stocker ,they should be a bit higher than 80 tho
    I have a 75stinger myself but its not stock
    My ft-19s is a factory race motor with ported block and pistons and im hoping for 150-180psi on it
    Who aint addicted to fast boats.....

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 75luva View Post
    The stinger engine you have is just a fishing engine nothing special
    150psi you wont see in your engine as its a stocker ,they should be a bit higher than 80 tho
    I have a 75stinger myself but its not stock
    My ft-19s is a factory race motor with ported block and pistons and im hoping for 150-180psi on it
    A guy on here who worked for OMC said all the 75hp models came from the factory with raised ports, cut heads and I think bigger carbs. I'm not sure about the psi.
    My motor is SPECIAL LOL
    Justin

Thread Information