Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yamaha 2-stroke value?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I responded to op on alternate thread. Unfortunately (well actually fortunately) the value of the yamaha 25/30 has been diminished due to the game and fish passing a regulation saying no passing (they are a legislative authority in arkansas and can make law). The penalty is stiff and i can tell you first hand folks are following the rules thus far. Doesnt matter to me i was in the pole slot on all 7 hunts i got to make this year (newborn at home slows things!). But by golly i had a heckuva lead when i made the turn!

Your 30 does have some intrinsic value due to the e start and pull start cowl on same motor. To me those are required standard features but you do have one thing negating your value at the same time and that is your three cylinder 30 Most likely has oil injection and would require a plate to be made to cover the gear hole once removed. The true 25 was never made with oil injection and although only a handful of gearheads are aware they are a growing population of john come latelys tryin to show off knowledge they learned second hand.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Flats fishermen down here in FL will pay the high prices. 99% of them have no interest in doing mods.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tiller guy View Post
    I sold my 1995 Yamaha 30hp for $800 blown up and the insurance company paid out $2600 on top of it. They are worth a lot to the right buyer.
    Sorry to hear you blew yours up. What happened?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mallards Only View Post
    Sorry to hear you blew yours up. What happened?
    I hit something at wot and it stopped the motor really fast. The roll pin that holds the crank bearing sheared off and then it went into the #2 cylinder. I loved the motor and it hauled ***, but I just got sick of messing with it. Ended up buying a new 4 stroke with the insurance money. I have a fishing boat so it works well and it uses less than 1/2 the fuel.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

No doubt. I forgot how much more gas the 2-strokes used compared to the 4-stroke. I had a 4-stroke 40 hp before going back to the 2-stroke and was able to go 2-3x as long before refueling as I am with the 2-stroke. I just hated the added weight of the 4-stroke. Now though, with the newer 4-strokes being so much lighter, not sure there's much of an advantage to the 2-stroke.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The new TWO strokes are still far lighter, yet they get comparable mileage to the 4 strokes.

Modern science!

Jeff
    "We live at the bottom of an ocean of air." - General Marvage Slatington

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fastjeff57 View Post
    The new TWO strokes are still far lighter, yet they get comparable mileage to the 4 strokes.

Modern science!

Jeff
    Actually my new 4 stroke motor is 20 lbs lighter than a comparable E-tec and both are slow when compared against my old yamaha. There isn't anything on the market today that's worth getting excited over in the 30hp class.

BRF Team Europe Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I love the Yamaha 30 2 str 3 Cyl but this 30 4 str Tohatsu ain't bad :

Argo Cat 18 - Sold
    Merc 2.4EFI/CLE - Sold

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchPhil View Post
    I love the Yamaha 30 2 str 3 Cyl but this 30 4 str Tohatsu ain't bad :

Sooner or later everyone will be running a 4 stroke and people will be doing custom head work and intake mods. A 450cc 4 stroke dirt bike produces around 50hp. That tohatsu 30hp is over 500cc.

Thread Information