Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1963 N.O.A. World Championship part 1

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1963 N.O.A. World Championship part 1

Hope you more "seasoned " drivers enjoy reading this !!!
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1963 N.O.A. part 2

Part 2 of the article.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Post Thanks / Like

After finding out that the X class was pretty much an unlimited class I am wondering what engines with what ci. were guys running ?

Post Thanks / Like

Fun stuff! I was struck by the fact that CBS television thought enough of this event to provide coverage that included a blimp!

It was also interesting that when the CBS commentator was offered a ride in a boat, it was in a short-sponson Sid with a big, top-heavy four-banger, maybe not the most forgiving outfit one could choose!!

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smittythewelder View Post
    Fun stuff! I was struck by the fact that CBS television thought enough of this event to provide coverage that included a blimp!

It was also interesting that when the CBS commentator was offered a ride in a boat, it was in a short-sponson Sid with a big, top-heavy four-banger, maybe not the most forgiving outfit one could choose!!
    Actually Smitty, having driven Sids my entire racing career including the first 3 point that they built, I was surprised that anyone including a driver of Johnny Woods caliber would even consider a short sponson to drive at those speeds. The sponson would set kind of hard and the results speak for themselves.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice to see the old programs with photos and numbers. The X class at that time was run with what you brought or still had running.
    I did notice in the picture of the F Hydro start, my McDonald (M-14) cabover, owned and driven by John McMullen of Flint Mi. at that time, right in the middle without a rear fairing.
    Thanks for the post.

Post Thanks / Like

John, my first raceboat was a Hal Kelly "Jupiter" B Stock Hydro, which I built when I was 18, shortly after this Lake Spivey race was held. A number of the hydros in the photos above resemble the Jupiter, in a stretched version. You knew Hal Kelly, can you tell me whether that resemblance is coincidental, were guys doing their own one-off versions of Kelly's plans, or what? I know there was something called a Dubinski in those days. Who built those, and were there a lot of them back east ("Back East" for us Seattlites is pretty much anything aft of Montana)? And if you paid any attention to the later Stock stuff, the very fast little Hedlund A and BSH boats of the late Sixties had a bottom that looked like it might have been inspired by an old Jupiter.

There weren't a whole bunch of short-sponson Sids out here, but those were generally in the hands of fast guys. Mike Raich and Tom O'Neill set DSH completion records, and Paul Longthorpe was close competition for them (among others; DSH was a very competitive class in Reg. 10 in those years. And Jack Reed had a record in C Outboard Hydro with a longer version of this boat, running an FC Konig. He was one of the few alky guys to use short-sponson Sids in that era, out here, but the photos suggest that maybe they were more common in alky racing back east.

OTOH, an unfortunate novice, Doug Mahurin, showed up for his first and only season with a short sponson B Stock Sid named "Li'l Reeker," and got a dunking nearly every time he went out until Bob Rhoades gave poor Doug some pointers on skid-fin placement and such. Bob had run a short-sponson DSH Sid for a year, and he said that the very successful hydros built by himself and his brother in law, Jim Daniels, were dimensioned off of that Sid, but altered to fix the handling.

This is a kick, RacingFan1, thanks for putting it up!! It's fun for me to make out the images of a couple of early version A Konigs with their skinny little fixed expansion chambers, an engine I ran for a few years. And more Anzanis than I'd have expected to see at one race.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smittythewelder View Post
    John, my first raceboat was a Hal Kelly "Jupiter" B Stock Hydro, which I built when I was 18. A number of the hydros in the photos above resemble the Jupiter, in a stretched version. You knew Hal Kelly, can you tell me whether that resemblance is coincidental, were guys doing their own one-off versions of Kelly's plans, or what? I know there was something called a Dubinski in those days. Who built those, and were there a lot of them back east ("Back East" for us Seattlites is pretty much anything aft of Montana)? And if you paid any attention to the later Stock stuff, the very fast little Hedlund A and BSH boats of the late Sixties had a bottom that looked like it might have been inspired by an old Jupiter.

There weren't a whole bunch of short-sponson Sids out here, but those were generally in the hands of fast guys. Mike Raich and Tom O'Neill set DSH completion records, and Paul Longthorpe was close competition for them (among others; DSH was a very competitive class in Reg. 10 in those years. And Jack Reed had a record in C Outboard Hydro with a longer version of this boat, running an FC Konig. He was one of the few alky guys to use short-sponson Sids in that era, out here, but the photos suggest that maybe they were more common in alky racing back east.

OTOH, an unfortunate novice, Doug Mahurin, showed up for his first and only season with a short sponson B Stock Sid named "Li'l Reeker," and got a dunking nearly every time he went out until Bob Rhoades gave poor Doug some pointers on skid-fin placement and such. Bob had run a short-sponson DSH Sid for a year, and he said that the very successful hydros built by himself and his brother in law, Jim Daniels, were dimensioned off of that Sid, but altered to fix the handling.

This is a kick, RacingFan1, thanks for putting it up!! It's fun for me to make out the images of a couple of early version A Konigs with their skinny little fixed expansion chambers, an engine I ran for a few years. And more Anzanis than I'd have expected to see at one race.
    Actually Smitty they are Dubinski's copies of the Hedlund & built by Dub Parker. And most give credit to the Hedlunds for building the first S bottom boats when in fact Hal Kelley did first with the Ben
    Hur.
    The short sponson Sids were hard to set for a turn. I could always set my Sids. All classes later entering a turn & come out ahead. However once the sponson fin appeared & turns were wider the short sponson SIDS would float better without the rear edge of the sponson grabbing. Jimbo McConnel still says he could jump up on the wheel & set the sponson & out turn anyone including Ted May & Ron Hill. It's questionable to me but who wants to challenge Jimbo!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Dubinskis came AFTER Hedlunds?? I can only go with what I saw out here, but I know some Dubinskis came out here for the APBA Outboard Nationals at Moses Lake in 1963, where I never saw a Hedlund until some came out for the Stock Nationals at Prineville, OR in 1966. John, you might recall that Hal Kelly had a photo in his brochure of plans, of Dub Parker running a C Konig on a stretched Jupiter. Was the Dubinski not a slightly later update of that boat of Parkers? Or maybe I should ask, when did the Hedlunds build their first hydro of that style? To take the progression a little earlier, I'm guessing Hal Kelly got the inspiration for that recurved bottom from one of Hu Entrop's big class F cabovers; true? I have no idea whether Entrop was the first to use that bottom shape to move the center of lift aftwards; I recall someone here saying they thought that DeSilva had built a hydro with a bottom like that in the early Fifties . . .

Post Thanks / Like

Smitty,

Now you got me scratching my head. First, we never had an Enthrop out east, so not sure if Kelley invented the S bottom or saw it somewhere. That's a good ?

We always were under the impression that Dub copied Hedlund, yet I don't know when the first Hedlund hydro appeared. When/if I see them at the reunion I'll ask them. However, as a point of interest, the A & B Dubinskis were a spitten image of the Hedlunds especially the front cowl, the coamings & the way the coamings went forward of the dash along side of the sloped cowl. The coamings were somewhat different on the Jupiter & Ben Hur I believe.

Thread Information