Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1963 N.O.A. World Championship part 1

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Smitty,

I just did a Kelly plans search & the only Alky picture was his Jupiter # 184-F the same BSH boat with a Konig on the back. Looks like an early A or B. Can you post a picture of Parker in the stretched out Ben Hur or e-mail to me jschubert19J@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Kelly catalog page.pdf
    Quote Originally Posted by John Schubert T*A*R*T View Post
    Smitty,

I just did a Kelly plans search & the only Alky picture was his Jupiter # 184-F the same BSH boat with a Konig on the back. Looks like an early A or B. Can you post a picture of Parker in the stretched out Ben Hur or e-mail to me jschubert19J@gmail.com

John

Here is a pic of Dub Parket (maybe a miss spell in catalog?) running a Jupiter in C hydro in a Hal Kelly catalog I received from Hal when he lived in Ft Pierce Fla. Is Parket someone else?

Attached as a pdf at the top of post

Pete
    " Three may keep a secret if two of them are dead" Ben Franklin
    " ------- well Doctor what have we got a Republic or Monarchy? A Republic he replies if you can keep it"
    Benjamin Franklin, 1787 Constitutional Convention, as recorded by signer James McHenry's in his diary at the Library of Congress

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, that's the boat! Stretched from the standard Jupiter. Now I think that brochure must date from 1960 or a year or two earlier (??). Somewhere in his literature, Hal Kelly said you could order plans for this stretched version. Don't know if that suggests that Kelly re-drew the Jupiter for Parker, or if Parker stretched the plans himself and gave the results to Kelly. Anyway, my wholly-uninformed guess is that the Dubinskis came from this boat.

None of this matters at all, LOL, just interesting old racing trivia.

As to there not being an Entrop boat for you back-east guys to see, well for starters look at the man himself in the photos above!! The story said he had his R-12 with him, the best of his F boats. Hu got out of racing not long after this, and sold the R-12 to Jerry Waldman, who set a competition record with it, beating Hu's record. I don't think Entrop built any boats for anyone but himself. He had started with a couple of Ted Jones boats, one of which he took back to Lake X in 1957. I believe he did made some other trips to races outside Reg. 10 in the Fifties. Jim Hallum knew Entrop fairly well, and maybe Doc Jones and Jack Leek and Charlie Strang and the other big names who were involved in various ways with the outboard speed runs of those years, and his memory is pretty good.

(I have just spent nearly an hour trying to get info on low-temp solder and flux for stainless steels. For all the money that companies spend on websites, somebody sure has forgotten how to lay out information in an organized manner since the good old days of PRINT catalogs.)

Post Thanks / Like

Smitty , I enjoy reading the follow up stories to the history I post. I am glad there is a forum for which to do it.

Post Thanks / Like

Smitty,

You have to remember Out East to me is the NE & Kelly lived in northern NJ. He later did move to FT. Pierce, FL. If my recollection is right the only time he was west of Pittsburgh was when he went to the 1954 SO nationals in Depere, WI with my dad & me.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I can add background to how this race came about. The lake was owned by Dr. Walter Spivey, a dentist, who built it and subdivided it into lots around the lake and also a beach and club house. I knew the Spiveys, when we lived in the same neighborhood and having gone to school with their son. I lost contact over the years until a cousin of mine bought a house on Lake Spivey. When I discovered it was the same Spiveys, I went to see them at their house on the lake. I mentioned that I was competing in boat races and would they allow me to bring my boats along with some other boat racers to do some testing. We did and they were fascinated by how fast these little boats would go. This was late spring of 1962 and I solicited a boat race for sometime in the summer, but it had to be after their beach and club house closed for the season.
    I couldn't get it done, but I contacted Claude Fox about a race in 1963, Anyway, to make this short, Claude and Dr. Spivey got together and arranged to have the NOA championship there in September of 1963. The Spiveys contacted CBS for the TV coverage and Burrell Wilson, whose son was racing at that time, contacted the Lions, of which he was a member, and it all came together for a great event.
    We did it again in 1964 and perhaps more, but after the 1965 civil rights bill passed congress, the clientele at the beach changed, and the Spiveys closed the park.
    An anecdote, the prize money paid PER HEAT was $100 1st, $75 2nd, $50 3rd, $25 4th.

Lake Sammamish, Washington and Indio, California
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John Schubert T*A*R*T View Post
    Smitty,

Now you got me scratching my head. First, we never had an Enthrop out east, so not sure if Kelley invented the S bottom or saw it somewhere. That's a good ?

We always were under the impression that Dub copied Hedlund, yet I don't know when the first Hedlund hydro appeared. When/if I see them at the reunion I'll ask them. However, as a point of interest, the A & B Dubinskis were a spitten image of the Hedlunds especially the front cowl, the coamings & the way the coamings went forward of the dash along side of the sloped cowl. The coamings were somewhat different on the Jupiter & Ben Hur I believe.
    The first Hedlund Hydros I saw were at the 1964 SO Nationals in Modesto, CA. Driven by both Jerry Waldman and Bob Hering. At the Nationals, they also ran Straightaway Trials several days before the finals. Bob Hering went through very fast in BSH, but I don't think he broke the record. A fellow by the name of Bob Todd had set the BSH record several years before at Guntersville. Billy Hutchins won ASH in a Short Sponson Sid. He also ran the same boat in BSH..... He was very fast but he jumped the gun. The Hedlund's didn't do well... as yet.

Then the next year in 1965 at the Beaver Falls, PA SO Nationals Waldman and Hering were also running the Hedlunds with the same unsuccessful results. Billy Hutchins won BSH with an "A" Short Sponson Sid. And Jerry Lorer (sp)? won ASH with a Marchetti or possibly it was a Sid.

But then in 1966 at the Prineville, Oregon SO Nationals, the Hedlund Hydros came into their own and won both ASH with Doc Stu Wilson at the wheel and BSH with Bob Hering at the wheel. What they found was that since the Hedlunds had narrower bottom widths, you could jack the motor up much higher with a bigger propeller and of course go faster.

By the 1968 Green Lake, Seattle, WA. SO Nationals Hedlund Hydros were dominating both ASH and BSH.

I bought my first Hedlund right after that. I simply called R. Allen Poppa Smith and ordered several ASH propellers for my Hedlund with fantastic results.

Hedlunds dominated both ASH and BSH until about 1976 or so, when Shanon Bowman with his "Bezoats" showed up. The "Game" changed again.

That's the way I remember the Hedlund Hydro Era. Of, course the Hedlund Runabout was a different story. Only a very few could drive a Hedlund Runabout..... The Hedlund Brothers for sure and of course the Famous Stover Hire. Stover must have won the BU, "B Stock Runabout" SO Nationals at least 5 times.
    Dean Hobart
    Thanks hedlundracing thanked for this post
    Likes hedlundracing liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DeanFHobart View Post
    The first Hedlund Hydros I saw were at the 1964 SO Nationals in Modesto, CA. Driven by both Jerry Waldman and Bob Hering. At the Nationals, they also ran Straightaway Trials several days before the finals. Bob Hering went through very fast in BSH, but I don't think he broke the record. A fellow by the name of Bob Todd had set the BSH record several years before at Guntersville. Billy Hutchins won ASH in a Short Sponson Sid. He also ran the same boat in BSH..... He was very fast but he jumped the gun. The Hedlund's didn't do well... as yet.

Then the next year in 1965 at the Beaver Falls, PA SO Nationals Waldman and Hering were also running the Hedlunds with the same unsuccessful results. Billy Hutchins won BSH with an "A" Short Sponson Sid. And Jerry Lorer (sp)? won ASH with a Marchetti or possibly it was a Sid.

But then in 1966 at the Prineville, Oregon SO Nationals, the Hedlund Hydros came into their own and won both ASH with Doc Stu Wilson at the wheel and BSH with Bob Hering at the wheel. What they found was that since the Hedlunds had narrower bottom widths, you could jack the motor up much higher with a bigger propeller and of course go faster.

By the 1968 Green Lake, Seattle, WA. SO Nationals Hedlund Hydros were dominating both ASH and BSH.

I bought my first Hedlund right after that. I simply called R. Allen Poppa Smith and ordered several ASH propellers for my Hedlund with fantastic results.

Hedlunds dominated both ASH and BSH until about 1976 or so, when Shanon Bowman with his "Bezoats" showed up. The "Game" changed again.

That's the way I remember the Hedlund Hydro Era. Of, course the Hedlund Runabout was a different story. Only a very few could drive a Hedlund Runabout..... The Hedlund Brothers for sure and of course the Famous Stover Hire. Stover must have won the BU, "B Stock Runabout" SO Nationals at least 5 times.
    Dean,
    Bob Todd set the BSH straightaway record at Beloit in 1960 with a Sid at over 70 mph. He used a propeller to that he & classmates at RPI Rensalear (not sure of spelling)Polytechnical Institue.

Post Thanks / Like

All good, Deano, except that Jeff Lowe won BSH at Prineville in '66. Jeff was the only legal starter in the first heat of the finals, so he cruised around behind the pack in the second heat to win the thing. Kind of too bad in a way, because Jeff was fast enough (even though his brother Stu said, "we were never less than 25-30lbs overweight in that class"), and a top-notch driver, and might have won anyway. Two years later at Greenlake, the Hedlunds did win. Yet I looked at all the heat times for BSH for the prelims and finals, and the two fastest BSH heat times of the weekend were run by Barry Lewis and Jeff Lowe, both in Marchettis (and both using 1:1 gears).

Even for a mid-pack guy (sometimes better, sometimes worse!) like me . . . young, very dumb, half-blind, couldn't make two decent starts at a race to save my life, . . . even for shlubs like me, to be racing Stocks in Reg. 10 in the mid-'60s was just a blast. We never got to see much of the smart, fast guys like Jeff Lowe and Dennis Lee who could nail the start and keep the boat aired-out in the roughest corners, never wasting an ounce of momentum or a foot of their lanes. It was all still a gas! At least, since I didn't run the class, I DID get to watch Dean go at it against a very competitive pack of ASH guys every weekend. People who didn't know better might have dismissed A Stock Hydro as a slow, tame, beginners class, but anyone with eyes to see knew that this was pure deck-to-deck racing at its very best, every time. All the guys with big, fast, expensive alky rigs would stop whatever they were doing to watch A Stock. I'll never forget those days, those guys.
    Likes hedlundracing liked this post

Lake Sammamish, Washington and Indio, California
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smittythewelder View Post
    All good, Deano, except that Jeff Lowe won BSH at Prineville in '66. Jeff was the only legal starter in the first heat of the finals, so he cruised around behind the pack in the second heat to win the thing. Kind of too bad in a way, because Jeff was fast enough (even though his brother Stu said, "we were never less than 25-30lbs overweight in that class"), and a top-notch driver, and might have won anyway. Two years later at Greenlake, the Hedlunds did win. Yet I looked at all the heat times for BSH for the prelims and finals, and the two fastest BSH heat times of the weekend were run by Barry Lewis and Jeff Lowe, both in Marchettis (and both using 1:1 gears).

Even for a mid-pack guy (sometimes better, sometimes worse!) like me . . . young, very dumb, half-blind, couldn't make two decent starts at a race to save my life, even for shlubs like me, to be racing Stocks in Reg. 10 in the mid-'60s was just a blast. We never got to see much of the smart, fast guys like Jeff Lowe and Dennis Lee who could nail the start and keep the boat aired-out in the roughest corners, never wasting an ounce of momentum or a foot of their lanes. It was all still a gas! At least, since I didn't run the class, I DID get to watch Dean go at it against a very competitive pack of ASH guys every weekend. People who didn't know better might have dismissed A Stock Hydro as a slow, tame, beginners class, but anyone with eyes to see knew that this was pure deck-to-deck racing at its very best, every time. All the guys with big, fast, expensive alky rigs would stop whatever they were doing to watch A Stock. I'll never forget those days, those guys.
    Opps....... You're right Phil, I forgot about Jeff Lowe. But the Hedlunds did dominate after that. And yes, ASH was a very competitive class, as was every Stock class back then...... Especially at the Nationals.
    Dean Hobart

Thread Information