Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1949 Outboard High point winner

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ron,
    If your dad inspected at the 1954 DePere stock nationals, did you go with him? It was my very first boat race. I could ride my bike to the pits, maybe 10 blocks from our house. BTW, I learned that the railroad tracks crossing the street at a low angle at the north end of the pits were more hazardous to a 6 year old kid on his bike than crossing 2 main streets to get there. Still have a pennant from the race hanging in the basement. One day we got to watch from a cabin cruiser from the middle of the course.

Sam Hemp

Post Thanks / Like

Default Did Not DePere, Wisconsin Nationals, 1954

My dad and Major "Red" Thomas had become great friends. Red has a DSH, DU, BU and AU. His D's were junk boats and junk engines. His BU was a new 20-H and fast, his "A" he burned up every race in 1954, til the Divisionals. My dad discovered the water pump on the bushing cones motor, had no blades.

Anyway, Red won the Divisionals in California dn he and my dad went to the Nationals together.

I did go to the 1954 and 1955 Winnebagoland Marathons.

The best story from DePere: Jimmy Jost, some kind of a "BIG SHOT" in APBA was going out to patrol the Nationals in a Dumphy and new Mercury and he was sitting 4-5 cases of beer. My dad said, "Jimmy you can't take alcohol out on the course." Jimmy said, "Russ, this is beer." After a short argument, Jost went out to patrol without beer.

Over they years we laughed about that often.

I was 1o in 1954.

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hydroplay View Post
    Ron,
    If your dad inspected at the 1954 DePere stock nationals, did you go with him? It was my very first boat race. I could ride my bike to the pits, maybe 10 blocks from our house. BTW, I learned that the railroad tracks crossing the street at a low angle at the north end of the pits were more hazardous to a 6 year old kid on his bike than crossing 2 main streets to get there. Still have a pennant from the race hanging in the basement. One day we got to watch from a cabin cruiser from the middle of the course.

Sam Hemp
    Sam, I raced in those nationals finishing 4th overall in BSH. Was 6th in the first heat won by Dave Kough from NJ as I was. .We started 16 boats we were on the far outside. As we came past our pits I was just passing Dave & started to blow over. Hal Kelley, who we went to Depere on his trailer & my Dad said all they saw was me hanging on with the steering wheel & throttle. Managed to recover to finish 6th, the n in the second heat finished 3rd for 4th overall. Not bad for being 15 years old. Two weeks prior at the Divisionals Kough won the first heat & just missed the record. The next heat I won & set the record which was the first record for the 20H.
    Interesting town. My father went to the Hardware store & bought white gas for us to use. Being from the east coast that was all we used.

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    My dad and Major "Red" Thomas had become great friends. Red has a DSH, DU, BU and AU. His D's were junk boats and junk engines. His BU was a new 20-H and fast, his "A" he burned up every race in 1954, til the Divisionals. My dad discovered the water pump on the bushing cones motor, had no blades.

Anyway, Red won the Divisionals in California dn he and my dad went to the Nationals together.

I did go to the 1954 and 1955 Winnebagoland Marathons.

The best story from DePere: Jimmy Jost, some kind of a "BIG SHOT" in APBA was going out to patrol the Nationals in a Dumphy and new Mercury and he was sitting 4-5 cases of beer. My dad said, "Jimmy you can't take alcohol out on the course." Jimmy said, "Russ, this is beer." After a short argument, Jost went out to patrol without beer.

Over they years we laughed about that often.

I was 1o in 1954.
    Ron,

Jimmy also raced in BSH at those nationals. I believe that he actually was in the final 16.

Thread Information