Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 1955 Boat Sport magazine article

Lake Sammamish, Washington and Indio, California
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 25XS View Post
    So Gene, a photograph of an actual 1957 "A" alky König rope sheave won't convince you? Your vision/dream is pretty strong for the KOEnig spelling on that rope sheave then. I wonder if the motorcycle engines also had rope sheaves and maybe there were several versions? Steve Litzell has seen a group of photographs of this engine and said it all looked legit to him. The transom brackets on this one were reproductions I got from John Shubert, otherwise the engine was a time capsule.
    Does anybody know how fast this A alky Konig would run on a hydro?

Really cool history.... Great to read about it.
    Dean Hobart

Post Thanks / Like

Konig built that basic engine for a decade, with upgrades to port timing, pipes, mag, carbs, head. Dean, you remember the versions of the early to mid-Sixties with the skinny early expansion chambers as run by the Rautenburg brothers, Lee Sutter, Barry Lewis, and others? On a hydro, those would run (meaning read on a Keller speedo with the pitot tube dragging) 68-75mph set up for short course with one of Papa's wheels. Dick Rautenburg told me he won the '63 Nationals on Moses Lake running a little bronze Pop Smith wheel on his little BSH Sid for a real quick 68. Or as "quick" as an old A Konig could be, which wasn't very. With more modern expansion chambers and port timing to match, and 34mm carbs, the same engine would have easily got into the 80s.

But that early version in the photo? With the low port timing (and that engine might not have had a boost port at all), tiny carbs, early megaphones, mounted on a Swift hydro with the props of the day . . . well, one of the REAL OLD guys here will probably remember, but I want to guess you'd have been doing well to read 60mph.

(EDIT) (If anyone cares at all about trivia, sorry, I remembered wrong and the song referred to above came out in 1958, most of a year after Sputnik went up) (Yeah, I know, but it's a History thread, so I thought I should get it right . . . )

Lake Sammamish, Washington and Indio, California
    Post Thanks / Like

I still want to know how fast that 1957 A Alky Konig would run.

Thanks............................................ ..........................................
    Dean Hobart

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Not exactly the answer to your question , but. In 1958 Dieter Konig set a 65 mph B alky record for APBA. The A was probably slower and regular setup probably slower again. It does make Smitty's 60 mph look logical. The NOA A alky record in 1958 was set by Bill Settle at 61 mph ; no idea what engine.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Check the Boat Sport Oct 1957 issue. Deanie Montgomey set the A alky NOA straightaway record at 59.221. He used megaphones that stuck out like a bad pair of ears.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rumleyfips View Post
    Check the Boat Sport Oct 1957 issue. Deanie Montgomey set the A alky NOA straightaway record at 59.221. He used megaphones that stuck out like a bad pair of ears.
    Here is that page with the NOA straight a way record

http://boatsport.org/BSV63/p6.jpg
    " Three may keep a secret if two of them are dead" Ben Franklin
    " ------- well Doctor what have we got a Republic or Monarchy? A Republic he replies if you can keep it"
    Benjamin Franklin, 1787 Constitutional Convention, as recorded by signer James McHenry's in his diary at the Library of Congress

Thread Information