Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1955 Boat Sport magazine article

Post Thanks / Like

True! I'm glad you used the Koenig spelling. I worked in the pits for a guy who had one of the very first German Class A motors. I swear the flywheel crank plate said KOENIG! Everyone tells me I dreamed that!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Here it is spelled Konig on the company adds on engines and boats:

http://www.quincylooperracing.us/gpage8.html
    " Three may keep a secret if two of them are dead" Ben Franklin
    " ------- well Doctor what have we got a Republic or Monarchy? A Republic he replies if you can keep it"
    Benjamin Franklin, 1787 Constitutional Convention, as recorded by signer James McHenry's in his diary at the Library of Congress

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Pictures: 1957 König Model HRA-57 "A-alky engine"

Quote Originally Posted by Gene East View Post
    True! I'm glad you used the Koenig spelling. I worked in the pits for a guy who had one of the very first German Class A motors. I swear the flywheel crank plate said KOENIG! Everyone tells me I dreamed that!!!
    Gene, the spelling is: " König " with two dots above the letter "o" is how the rope sheave you dreamed about was made! Pictured below is the first year "A" class alky, it's a 1957 Model HRA-57 and the rope sheave also says, "BERLIN 36" on it! I sold this engine to a guy in Australia in 2010. It was missing the carb & megaphone pipe but not stuck.
    Tom Brockmeyer
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Tom, I am aware of all this history and the meaning of the different spellings, the umlag (spelling?) etc.

In the back of my mind I can still see Koenig. The only people who could convince me otherwise would be Dieter, Harold Chambers ( team owner)
    Ed Dickerson & Don Bockenfeld (team drivers). Unfortunately all 4 of these men are racing on Lake Paradise!

George Taylor had some of the very earliest K-brand motors and he says no "E" on any of his motors.

Steve Litzell whom I greatly admire and who actually worked for Dieter at the factory says no "E"!

I guess the next time I see Dieter, I'll ask him!

Gene

Post Thanks / Like

Back to Smitty!
    You are correct, we did mill out a slot in the dome to facilitate welding the pad. We were probably 5/16 in above the sleeve where we were welding. Never did I penetrate (puddle) deep enough to expose any cast iron. In addition, we positioned the pad in the dome with a straight edge down the crank case bore. Then a solid steel slug was placed in the bore of each cylinder to hold the pad in place and to serve as a heat sink to minimize cylinder distortion. Often just a simple hone job was needed, although a special tool on a cylinder boring machine was used to finish machine the pad. A re-bore could be done if needed at that time without changing machines.

Jim Schoch (Have you heard of him) ran the boring bar. Jim only won 16 National & World Championships and set or broke more records than I can remember!

Imagine what a 75-H block weighed with the slugs in the cylinders. Not a job for a 97# weakling!

Post Thanks / Like

Smitty, Have you noticed the ad for the Quincy Visumatic throttle in the Boat Sport copy.

I don't know if that name is a take off of the popular TV ads for the Vega-matic or not.

Easily the best throttle of it's day; QW sold thousands of them.

That was how the Christner kids made their spending money; assembling throttles.

Nearly everyone who ever worked at QW built a throttle or two.

Also the exhaust manifold for the 2 cyl. motors was a popular item as well.
    Far more were sold to the general public than to racers.

This manifold had a cover plate that could be added or removed in no time at all.

There was even a cute little option of twin chrome pipes. The prototype was made with tubes from Mrs. Christner's vacuum cleaner.

Rumor has it Chris slept in the dog house for quite a while over that one!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Tom, I am aware of all this history and the meaning of the different spellings, the umlag (spelling?) etc.

In the back of my mind I can still see Koenig. The only people who could convince me otherwise would be Dieter, Harold Chambers ( team owner)
    Ed Dickerson & Don Bockenfeld (team drivers). Unfortunately all 4 of these men are racing on Lake Paradise!

George Taylor had some of the very earliest K-brand motors and he says no "E" on any of his motors.

Steve Litzell whom I greatly admire and who actually worked for Dieter at the factory says no "E"!

I guess the next time I see Dieter, I'll ask him!

Gene
    So Gene, a photograph of an actual 1957 "A" alky König rope sheave won't convince you? Your vision/dream is pretty strong for the KOEnig spelling on that rope sheave then. I wonder if the motorcycle engines also had rope sheaves and maybe there were several versions? Steve Litzell has seen a group of photographs of this engine and said it all looked legit to him. The transom brackets on this one were reproductions I got from John Shubert, otherwise the engine was a time capsule.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Post Thanks / Like

The only thing that would convince me would be to see the actual engine owned by Chambers Equipment Co. and that's not going to happen.
    I don't know the serial number or if a number ever existed!

Like I said, when I see Dieter; I'll ask him.

Thanks for your suggestion that the motor I remember MAY have had some BIKE parts.

I suppose if the presence or lack of an "E" in a name is of some concern to me, I've had a good life!

Ask a few of the older members on this web site. You'll find I can be a hard headed "OLD SOB"!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The only thing that would convince me would be to see the actual engine owned by Chambers Equipment Co. and that's not going to happen.
    I don't know the serial number or if a number ever existed!

Like I said, when I see Dieter; I'll ask him.

Ask a few of the older members on this web site. You'll find I can be a hard headed old SOB!

Gene:

I have known you for at least 35-40 years, and I can vouch for the fact you can be a hard headed old SOB, BUT when I wrote a piece comparing Konig VS Quincy several years ago on BRF in reply to some statements Paul Christner had made, you confirmed all of them best I remember. You may be an OLD SOB, but a very fair one also, even thought it must have hurt somewhat to have to agree with my "remembering". And OLD SOB's make the best friends also. Hope your health problems are over with or at least under control these days, and see you at the Reunion.

ADD: Hope it is a while before you have a chance to talk with Dieter!!

Post Thanks / Like

Bill,

As one "OLD SOB" to another, "SALUTE"!

I look forward to seeing you and many other "OLD SOB's" in DePue!

My health issues seem to have resolved themselves.

My Doc said yesterday aside from having arthritis every place I have places and being overweight, there is nothing wrong with my heart.

Doc has a very attractive young female intern working with him. There's nothing wrong with my eyes either!

Thanks for asking! Had some pasta last night, but went a little light on the garlic!

BTW: Add about 10 years to the time we have known each other. We're older than we think we are!

Thread Information