Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Airborne

Post Thanks / Like

Well that about covers it and you tried a lot of different H and angles and have the adjustable angle bracket. But as far as comfort it's a racer built for speed on the knees.
    " Three may keep a secret if two of them are dead" Ben Franklin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zul8tr View Post
    Well that about covers it and you tried a lot of different H and angles and have the adjustable angle bracket. But as far as comfort it's a racer built for speed on the knees.
    Yeah, limited comfort is more like it for the long cruise at mostly full throttle. It has bested at 56 but with a stock power head it does about 50-52. I've kinda got my mind set on the double fin & see, can always change it up. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

I was just out in it & was trying it in both left & rights, It's definitely climbing off the fin in lefts then when the fin releases from the surface it rolls up, drops & repeats. In a right its got too much fin to the port to trust it not to barrel roll but it does hold pretty good. I'm thinking more than an inch deep at the shaft is leverage against the bow so will raise it to about 3/4" & see. I still have my 'B' fin & know where I can get another so that's next.

Post Thanks / Like

All this time later, a conclusion.. I made up these trim tabs to keep the nose from popping up, probably about 30 deg. [but feels like vertical]. They were on the outside corners of the rear but mounted 1/4" up from the plane of the bottom, intent being they only drag a little. It seems they were the cause of the turn issues because as soon as I turn most the boats water contact was right there, lifting off the corner trim tabs, forcing the fin up and out. I removed them, built a 1/2" pad, 4' to taper by 26" wide, extended back 6" from the transom. Hope is that will eliminate the hop tendency and allow smoother turning [or at least predictable lol] The pad is foam core sandwiched in carbon fiber so adds strength with minimal weight. I went with 2 fins, off the pad on the original bottom. Test run pending...

Post Thanks / Like

Been awhile. Lets see pics of the trim tabs and the tapered pad you made.
    Maybe video of rig running?

Post Thanks / Like

Soon >>> I also put a coat of Wearlon F1m, I tried it on my C hydro and after running a few seasons prior, I knew if there was a difference it would be obvious. The biggest thing noticed is the hull rides much smoother as chop and bumps don't seem to grab it as hard. Faster? maybe a little but noticeably smoother.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you there, what's new?

Likes JohnsonM50 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, Z how are you. Still kick'n. I'll get some pics going. I did try it out but it wouldn't plane. [Knew I had to deepen the transom] [probably the 1/2" that the pad is says Capt'n Obvious lol.] Didn't want to cut it without a test run. Since then cold weather stands in the way.. No more icy swims for this old kid. As is I have the motor set lower and a lower pitch prop on so it should jump right outnext try. Waiting for a warm day -that happens to not be a work day.

Post Thanks / Like

Doing well and still running the hydros at AOMCI meets with the 25ss and Y80, great fun, but time is creeping in at 77 but still vertical and great knees. Hope you will get rides in the boat when the weather favors.

Thread Information