Ron;
Elgin Gates is a very familiar name from our memories of the late 1950’s. I think that some of the older SOA racers did remember that the insignia was Gate’s Jacoby, a bit of 'tribal' knowledge. In that era there were nice publications for reading about outboard racing so the Notable names were etched in memory. That reading included the Winnebagoland & Stockton to Redding marathon days which alway seemed fairly dramatic.

There is a short memory of Entrop telling about Doc’s business transition from Merc to OMC and the move to AZ. Might have been mention of E. Gates then too. The later years where the Hill’s were involved is interesting to learn about. Seems to be a very odd & unfortunate end arrangement for the Hill - Mercury connection.

Entrop spoke about Doc Jones in a way that it was easy to know they were very good friends. Had they lived in the same town you would expect them to be pals. In one of those rolling DeSoto conversations I asked Hugh about the “Doc” nickname, thinking it may be a professional attribute. I don’t recall that answer but did learn that he was C.W. Jones and answered to either.

My most distinct memory in 1959 was the Stock Outboard Nat’s at Seattle’s Green Lake. The California racer families were all gathered at the West end of the pit area. It was quite interesting to wander around and talk a little at the R. Hill, H. Bartolomei, J. Alden (I think), and L. Stevens (maybe), very substantial trailers. There were a few more with smaller rigs and car-toppers. Bunch of racer kids attached; everyone well tanned and wondering about the “rain bleached” Seattle crews. We could see their fine tans when they pulled off their winter jackets to go racing on a nice warm Seattle day. First sight of an M hydro motor in the Bartolomei trailer and a tiny hull on the top rack. I think a similar gang arrived at the same spot some years later for an Outboard Divisionals so I get the memory images mixed together.

Russ R.