Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: James Diedrich Hallum, 5/18/32 - 7/19/16

Lake Sammamish, Washington and Indio, California
    Post Thanks / Like

Rex,

Is the Cabover a Jones or a Ben Hur.... Or?.... Fine Craft?

Thanks, Dean
    Dean Hobart

Post Thanks / Like

Default It's an Entrop ...

Quote Originally Posted by DeanFHobart View Post
    Rex,

Is the Cabover a Jones or a Ben Hur.... Or?.... Fine Craft?

Thanks, Dean
    ===
    The cabover is the 1955 Hugh Entrop hull, 11 ft. 4 in., which he ran that year using a M 55-h. It is his second cabover hull, the first version ran in 1954 using a M KG-9. His third hull was a version for Doc Jones' PR powered COH. Dick Brunes ran 172-R mostly in DSH (that's why the extended steering wheel) for several years and I bought it for racing FOH in 1960 using the same M 55-H. DOH & FOH were separated about the end of 1960. Entrop's next two hulls were 13 ft. for the M 75-H straightaway and course racing. There were a couple of near copies of those early Entrop 11 ft. course hulls built by Seattle area racers. Probably the best one was by Bill Farr using the dim's from the 1954 hull. It was fast but needed the configuration of the 1955 hull to handle the speeds in the 1960's.

And, by the way, Hubert told me (in answer to my questions) that his original cabover designs were his own. His Wind Tunnel Model Design friends helped with text book basic calculations of aerodynamics, balance, and Ground Effect, (not on company time, and most certainly not wind tunnel time). His few design conversations with Ted Jones were for Ted to find what Hugh had learned, not the reverse.
    Russ R.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    I remember looking Gerry Wallin's boat over at the Modesto Kilos. Many things went through my head. The main thing at the time was a "B" (350 CC) going 100 MPH.

I thought then, and I still do, this was a "D" Quickie, shaved to a "HATCH" as my dad made one like this when he put his 60-42 Evinrude on a "D" Quickie. Quickies have built in "KICK OUT", my dad never liked that. He liked things running parallel.

I can't tell from the picture but wasn't the motor bolted straight, and the rudder was moveable.

I got several cleavers from Cary, for Lon Stevens, when was breaking F Hydro records. They looked a lot like this propeller.
    ====
    Ron, that's a "nope" on the 100mph Anzani foot & fin guesses. I am fussing with making a copy of Hallum's DVD telling all details of that B motor. I will send a copy to you (as mentioned earlier) when I find a way past the limits of my later OS which removed the former easy disc copy feature. Hallum made this DVD for Bill Tenney; the file is time stamped 2007. You will find it quite interesting I think. Thanks for your Forum efforts.
    Russ Rotzler
    Thanks Ron Hill thanked for this post
    Likes Ron Hill liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Russ,

Wasn't that Bill Farr hull later the boat that Bobby Waite used for his many Sammamish Slough wins in FOH? I think it usually shows up at the Slough reunion race.

Thanks, Dean
    Dean Hobart

Post Thanks / Like

IIRC, Waite's cabover was one of two built by a fellow named Jim King, seems like he was from somewhere around Olympia. At one point either Waite or Don Haack had installed a piece of shiny (looked chromed but probably polished aluminum) piece of tubing on the left side of the cockpit, sticking nearly a foot above the top edge of the cockpit to keep one's fanny in the boat when bouncing around a rough corner; I joked with them that it was their handicapped grab-rail.

By the way, "IIRC" ("If I Recall Correctly") is a prime caveat in anything I post here, and I welcome and encourage anyone with a better memory or information to correct anything I post. To any who are worried about "getting it wrong," nobody who is posting here is judgmental or fussy, and many of us have hit senior-citizen status years ago and are very forgiving of memory misfires.

About the surfacing lower unit in the photo, IIRC (!!!!!) it was an A/B/C size Quicky with 16:21 gears, and with a homemade propeller shaft (of ETD=150, again IIRC) and homemade cone. The rudder was bolted to the right side of the base of the towerhousing. The engine was kicked under so that the shaft angle was 6 degrees to the bottom of the boat (to make it prop-ride), and the bottom of the cone was then about parallel to the bottom. I recall being surprised and impressed that those poor little 16:21 gears would stand up to the power and to the slapping of that big 2-blade prop entering the water. Jim said that one of the not-so-good points of this style of surfacing lower unit was that because the bulb was positioned a lot farther below the bottom of the boat than a regular racing unit would be on an ordinary tail-dragger hydro, it created quite a lot of drag until the boat finally started prop-riding. Years afterward, he speculated that maybe some sort of small step in the bottom, a couple of inches wide and directly in front of part of that draggy bulb could have been beneficial. Now, I THINK I have all that about right, but this would be a fine time for Ron Anderson to chime in and give us the straight dope. Hallum did build another surfacing unit a little later, using a D Quickie, for bigger engines.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Early Entrop hull copies...

Quote Originally Posted by DeanFHobart View Post
    Russ,

Wasn't that Bill Farr hull later the boat that Bobby Waite used for his many Sammamish Slough wins in FOH? I think it usually shows up at the Slough reunion race.

Thanks, Dean
    ===
    Dean; pretty good chance that I will fumble the details on the Farr, Waite cabover Q.

The long answer, (I obviously am not inclined toward “one liners”), is that the Region 10 F/DOH hulls in 1959 were mostly Karelson cabovers and maybe some conventional Swift types. I do not think a large Sid Craft had arrived West and Ron Jones hulls were a year or two in the future. I was advised by both Hal Tolford and Entrop that the most affordable and probably best D/F hull available was sitting idle with Dick Brunes. It was the #2 Entrop hull.
    I bought it in time for the 1960 racing season.

I was surprised a few times to see “copies” showed up to race, never at the same time. I think that there were two of them, similar in appearance to my 1955 hull but different since they were from the first Entrop cabover. At some point I think that I learned who built which hull but that is gone now. There were strong finish appearance differences in the two copies. I will also guess that they influenced the Karelson designs.

The Farr hull appeared for racing again in 1961 & 1962. Then owned by a fellow who lived in an east lakeside upscale area maybe a half mile north of the L. Wash. floating bridge east end. It had very distinctive rich grained plywood skins and was extremely well cared for. It did not run the Slough to avoid damage. I cannot remember that owner’s name, a successful businessman. Went to his home one time, very nice fellow, and the hull was carefully stored for next season. He had an excellent current 55-H.

I do not know what became of that hull but Waite was also running at times during that whole period so was a separate hull. Both hulls were marginal for holding the nose down at speeds near 75 mph which is the reason for Entrop’s second hull type.

Bob Waite’s hull was nicely done but with a more standard grain plywood skin type. I sort of remember that Bob usually ran it in DSH and did OK. Vague memory has it that (Andy) Thompson may have been involved in building one of those two hulls. He was also the builder of the 250-R Calkins style runabout in the photo, run by Jim Henry and then Jim Price. I think his home/shop was near north L. Sammamish. I always thought of Farr’s & Waite’s cabovers as being Sammamish area boats.
    R.R.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anzani -B- surfacing foot...

Hallum did some fine work building that surfacing foot for the Anzani B (and A). The whole long process began with the years earlier discovery of the high efficiency of Entrop’s props for his M 75-H and the horsepower, rpm, and resulting speed with his lower pitched course props as well.

The early calculations were done while traveling along in Entrop’s old Desoto to a race or demo run. The numbers were impressive. When Hallum told of the HP their current B Anzani was showing on the dyno I showed him the calculations made for Entrop’s prop efficiency and the HP & rpm of the original record 75-H motor. A few quick calculations showed that the Anzani B could turn those props nearly as well as the 75-H if running a foot gear ratio that would bring the prop to an rpm approaching that of the 75-H with the Anzani at peak torque/HP rpm. If the hull ride allowed rpm’s above peak HP at top speeds then acceleration would continue. Entrop said he would be quite willing to loan whatever usable prop he had to the Anzani record effort.

Fortunately, the gear ratio was already available from Merc. The concern over gear tooth strength was real but the actuality of all impulse loadings on the gears being spread by a “hunting pinion tooth” made the worthwhile option to give the whole project a try. Jim was fairly sure of the gear survival if very good meshing tolerances were set up.

As usual, a good option arrives and then Hallum gets to do all of the work. I do think that Wallin regularly whittled on many racing pieces out at the farm plus much intense effort at his home shop on the newer hulls too. That much effort compressed into a few years by both Halum & Walin while doing their day jobs (plus a huge yearly vegetable garden for Jim) and producing success is well beyond outstanding to think about.
    R.R.

Post Thanks / Like

Russ,

A couple of time line questions.

What was the first year that Hubert won the FOH Nationals with a 4 cylinder Mercury?.... and was he running against the 4 cylinder OMC '60' motors?

What was the first year for the 6 cylinder Mercury 75H? Was there ever a F Stock class?

Did Hubert use Spruce for his stringers and frame cross members? It would have been either Aircraft Grade or Mast and Spar Grade.

Another observation....... The original Anchor Fast Silicon Bronze Boat Ring Shank Nails had a raised 'Anchor' on the head. Hubert would take the time to sand off the Anchor so the head would be smooth with the surface.

About how long would it take for Hubert to build a boat?

A question about the 'Starflight' boat that Gerry Walin drove to get the Record in 1966 I think... It was designed by Hubert and built by McDonald of Portland as I recall: How much different was the design, especially the bottom, from the boats that Hubert ran?

Thanks, Dean
    Dean Hobart

Post Thanks / Like

Default Entrop time line reply for Dean.

Dean,
    I arrived in N. Seattle from Boise after 9th grade 1957, did not know what hydroplanes were. Tolford tagged me in the Green Lake pits at the 1959 Stock Outboard Nationals to go help Entrop lift his hydro onto his car and help him with a demonstration run. Bottom line is that I know little about the Entrop racing of earlier times other than second hand stories about how extraordinarily fast he and Doc Jones were in F & C with those cabover hulls. Those stories were from the old gang which was there, including CA, at the time so that's all I have.

The news reports of his 107 mph record run on the East Channel in 1958 was all I knew until riding along as pit help in the early 1960's and talking about the effort involved with that hull and the M 75-H motor he ran during that early record process.

I never talked with Hubert in any detail about his early racing. I’ve read the stories about his early first runabout racing which was very early 1950’s. His first cabover reportedly used a modified Merc KG-9 (-H). The small skeg on that foot left the boat unstable in the corners; made a good Carver splash photo. He may have added the aux. rudder to that hull, I don’t know. The 1955 #2 hull had that rudder.

The #2 cabover was his 1955 racing hull using a M 55-H as I understand the stories. He ran the #1 hull in 1954 and maybe 1953; again I don’t know details. So that gives us a guessing time line of:
    1) maybe building and racing the runabout one year in 1950-1952;
    2) building the #1 cabover and racing it in 1953-1954;
    3) building the #2 cabover in time for 1955 racing season;
    4) building the #1 13 foot cabover for the Merc 75-H testing and record trials which used up maybe 2 years or more so hull construction may have begun after or coincident with the #3 short version cabover for Doc Jones. Doc’s hull may have been built during the 1955 racing year and the first 13 foot hull immediately following for use in 1956 & 1957. World Record speeds in late 1957 & early 1958 per the news reports so the M 75-H was revealed early to Hubert in about 1956. I sure don’t remember any F Stock class for the M 75-H or the later 44 cu/in motors..

I do not know which short early hull, #1 or #2, won the FOH Nationals you referred to but either was probably fast enough; I will guess that the #2 hull in 1955 with the M 55-H was much more able to do that.

You can also see that Hubert was able to build a hull in a short time if he had completed the design work for patterns and lofts. He was a very skilled professional craftsman and had advanced techniques from his Model Shop experience which may have helped a great deal.

I do not know of any specific wood that Entrop used but there was no limit of vertical grain Spruce and marine plywood available then. (It was after all, fine ol’ boatyard Ballard..“Ya Sure ya Betcha”). The Anchor Fast ring shank nail head story may be correct, I don’t remember. Hubert did mention something about the nails. I would also think that he might have used peening as a practical & quick method.

As for the series of StarFlite hulls for OMC, I only know a little. Hugh built the first Starflight in his basement shop. It was a frame when I went there to help him load his -F- hull onto the car. All of the StarFlite hulls were proprietary information so Hugh could only generalize. That first StarFlite was the last hull small enough to squeeze out of his basement. I do not know about the hull named StarFlite 2. It may have actually been that first hull. There was something about that hull which made Hugh say that it was partially unsuccessful. StarFlite 3 was very successful and much larger, maybe 15 ft. Hugh said it handled really well and even would have been a fine rig to run in D or F on the 1 2/3 mile course at L. Lawrence with the power available at that time. StarFlite 4 was a similar size hull, slightly longer I think because of a different forward profile for a light driver and higher safe speed potential.

Hugh had a well defined method for providing a hull design riding balance for the motor and driver weights. StarFlite 4 had a light driver in Walin, maybe 30 lbs less than Hugo, so that hull was designed for a balance with the motor which may have been a little larger/heaver than what Hugo ran on StarFlite 3. When OMC later wanted to run a next generation larger motor, Hugh advised them not to do that because there was no way to keep the riding balance. OMC went ahead anyway and instead of rising level off of a small wave as in the first record runs the nose came up and Gerry never walked again. But I wasn’t there so ....

In 2009 I managed to stop at the L. Lawrence season final race and I had a short conversation with Bob Wartinger including a little about the OMC world record efforts. Bob began racing BSH shortly after I had moved to DOH in 1960, best guess. He and a batch of boat racers were in Jr. College at Everett in the early 60’s along with D. Rautenberg & myself. It was good to talk with him after decades. I think that he has very much more detailed information than I about the StarFlite 3 and onward because of his involvement with the later OMC record efforts.

Russ R.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Doc jones, mercury distributor

You mention Doc Jones, what a "Mover and Shaker" in Outboard Racing.

Elgin Gates owned the Trading Post in Needles, he could gas weld aluminum. My dad would send him gas tanks from the "Alky" races that had cracked.

Around 1949, Elgin owned an "M" Hydro Jacoby and an "C" Service Evinrude...SOA's (Seattle Outboard Association) logo is Elgin gate's "M" Hydro, today.

Elgin came to my dad and said, "He wanted to run for records at Devil's Lake, Oregon would he rebuild his "M" and "Service C"? My dad went through Elgin's two motors and Elgin broke both records.

Doc Jones offered Elgin a job because his boats were fast. Elgin and his wife, Dolly, came home and sold the Needles Trading Post and moved to I think, Spokane, Washington to work for Doc Jones.

Elgin, had not been there long when Doc came to him and said, "Elgin, I'm selling my Mercury Distributorship and buying the OMC Distributorship. I'm moving to Phoenix, But, they are going to have a Mercury Distributorship open up in California, you should buy it."

Well, the distributorship was going to be $35,000, So Elgin called my dad and a 1/7 partnership in the business for $5,000. My dad counter by saying, "I have the $5,000 but I only have one partner and she'd hard to get along with. But,I will buy $5,000 worth of motors." My dad became dealer #1 in CALIFORNIA, AND HE WAS STILL DEALER #1 when he died, 1997. Mercury would not give the dealership to me, my dad never had a retail business.

DOC Jones, and Charlie Strang were the OMC Race Team in the early days. Doc liked me, and offered me a job. I told him, as an Arizona College graduate, I'd love to live and work in Arizona, but as a teacher I got a draft deferment. Later, I won the lottery and didn't go, but the early days. I thought I'd be a ****ty foot soldier.
    Thanks OldRJexSea thanked for this post

Thread Information