Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011

Thread: James Diedrich Hallum, 5/18/32 - 7/19/16

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Russ, I find this info very interesting. In fact, I thank Smitty very much for bringing you into this thread and all the information you have provided that could not come from anywhere else. With all your wealth of knowledge you might see a but coming, and there is. Your vast knowledge of two cycles as you say was of motorcycles, but you played around with Jim on his outboard motor stuff. I have corresponded (not lately) with an English motorcycle guy that wants information regarding the first use of rotary valve engines. He wanted to know if Dieter Konig's rotary valve engines were a result of what a guy named Zimmerman in East Berlin did, or if it was a separate development. Zimmerman was a motorcycle guy, and had been working on rotary valves for motorcycles before Deiter. I don't want to hijack this excellent thread, but I know you don't go anywhere else, so I figured this was the only place I could ask this question. If you want to respond, you can PM me or answer me here and we will set up a separate thread to hear your input and not take away or get sidetracked from this excellent thread on Jim Hallum. If you don't want to, that's OK. I thank Smitty very much for bringing you to this forum in the first place and all the history you have given us.

Likes OLEGATORXX liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Default It ain't vast, it's just old. :-)

Somewhere along this trail, Master Oil Team & Wayne B. settled into my understanding.

So, Wayne; the Title is true, I was there during a transition time for outboard and moto GP racing (and others similar);... and was trying to gain knowledge. The journalist coverage of the era and much supporting details was very well done. So I read it, remember it because of timely correct details, and eventually it all becomes Old Information. The problem of not remembering this many decades past of stuff that sort of no longer matters certainly does not merit a "wealth of knowledge" characterization. Only maybe a decade later you active folks gathered your own very worthy history & a complete set of advancing details.

My oldest vague memories of rotary valve published information are so muddled that to comment on the disc rotary valve concept or its first use would be bogus. I am not at all sure why this old thought pops up but here goes. It could easily be wrong. The Isle of Mann moto-GP races up through the very early 1960's had a 50cc class winner one year manufactured by Kreidler of Germany, (not sure of the spelling). The motor was, I think, a single cyl., disk rotary valve type and showed quite a power advantage. It also had a secondary "overdrive" type gear system so had 12 gear ratios fit the power to that odd hilly road course. I recall listening to the sound records of that race in Jim Dunn's basement with the Kreidler accelerating out of the slowest corner and shifting up almost endlessly. The rider interview later was fun as he (Anscheit?) was saying, "Ya, mit de hand and mit de foot ve make 12 gears".

The oldest diagrams of rotary valves I recall were cylindrical and used for industrial applications where external "supercharging" was operating so exhaust ports & inlet ports/passages needed to be sealed at particular times.

As for the disk rotary valve; If the German fellow you mentioned, Zimmerman, was part of that Kreidler motorcycle factory team then he certainly would be a candidate for all following applications of disk rotary valves.

I doubt that this helps much with your question but maybe it provides some old leading information to track.
    Russ R.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Being there....

Quote Originally Posted by DeanFHobart View Post
    I remember the ‘two set of pipes motors’... one set of pipes for acceleration and one set of pipes for top end... and there was a solenoid operated valve that would switch between the two sets. Who could compete with that? Not many!!!
    Well Dean, it is fun to have you remember being there for the diverter valved Anzani operation. I actually was not around when the -A- Anzani was run for record, either kilo or L. Lawrence, even though I helped with the development & pipe building at times. All of the initial valved pipes on the little motorcycles were operated by a thumb lever on the left handlebar.

I do not recall the actuating mechanism for the valves on the -A- motor in 1966 since it never came out of the trailer at those two Nationals, DePue & Midland. There is a vague memory of Walin & Hallum in an earlier year discussing the upcoming need to add the valve movement to the hand throttle in some way. The first thoughts were to follow what had worked on the motorcycles but I do not know if the electrical method was the final outcome.

As for the Anzani pipe operating range, I think the open megaphone "tuned in" about 6500-7000 rpm and the bounce pipe was set to start at about 8500-9000 rpm. The operating overlap was more than 1000 rpm. The little motorcycles, using two bounce pipes had a larger practical overlap range. Really hard to remember those detail but I know it was sure fun to ride the motos with a simple thumb press giving a repeat boost just as strong as the initial boost at lower speed.
    Russ R.

Post Thanks / Like

Geez, Wayne, don't worry about "side-tracking" THIS thread with obscure tech matters. This is exactly the sort of discussion Jim Hallum would like as our memorial to him, and the more it meanders, the better!! Like Russ, I used to take Jim articles and books on all sort of things, sparking many a good conversation. I used to subscribe to a wonderful magazine spun off by American Heritage entitled, "(American Heritage of) Invention and Technology," which covered the whole spectrum of subjects implied by the title, and several issues ended up over at Jim's place. So, side-track away!!!

For that matter, don't anybody worry too much about repeating something you said here pages and months ago; most of us are old coots, our brains a little addled, and repeating our stories is one of the few privileges of being old.

Wayne, are you specifying disc rotary valves, or just any rotary valves? When the C Service crowd started running the Antique C Racing motors, they were showing us rotary-valved cross-flow motors from the Thirties, I believe. Hard to know where any of this got started (though there are some well-informed tech-historians on this site) (seems to me that "Mk75" is one). Some of the more modern stuff seems to have had its start in Soviet-controlled East Germany, so info on that is bound to be hard to come by.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the kind words Smitty. I will track down every word Russ has to say because it is so interesting, and so I won't worry about where I post regarding his input. One of my main thoughts though was finding the particular thread regarding a particular subject.

As far as the rotary valve was concerned, it was primarily regarding the external rotary valves with a disc. I need to go back a couple of years to the original inquiry though to make sure. Our first two cylinder FB Konig had internal rotary valves, and as you mentioned, they go way back. They were fixed and could not be adjusted unless you took the crank out and ground on them some I suppose. I was just a kid then and didn't have a clue so I don't know anything about those rotary valves.

Thread Information