Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: If this could only talk!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default If this could only talk!!!!

While at the 2016 USTS Nationals this weekend in DePue I had a conversation with Mike Thirlby and he informed me on the history of this trailer. It was originally owned by OF Christner and was the team trailer for the Quincy race team. The trailer was then owned by Jack Kugler , then found its way to Michigan to the Thirlby race team and is now in the ownership of Jay Walls and his Antique racing team. Jack thought there may have been another owner along the way but he wasnt sure. While there have been some modifications to it , Mike Thirlby thought it was the same trailer. Oh the stories this trailer could tell if it could talk. Just imagine the miles it has been hauled , the records that had been set and the National and World championships it has been a part of. To be honest , I miss the days of those open trailers.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Post Thanks / Like

Just reliving the good old days! I liked the old trailer as much as the new version.

The old trailer had a 50 gallon gasoline tank with a 12 volt pump & a quick connect fitting to the big old Buick wagon we used as a tow vehicle. When we got low on gas in the Buick's tank, we just flipped a switch and filled it back up. We also changed drivers "on the fly"!

On a long trip, it was not uncommon to be passed by the same cars 2 or possibly 3 times.

We only stopped to answer the call of nature. Thank God for strong bladders!

I'm sure there were a few people wondering, "What kind of mileage does that Buick get"?

Answer: 7 MPG

Post Thanks / Like

Is this the trailer that Larry Latta also owned? If yes, I spent one weekend flame cutting a ton of steel out of it.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

You might be right Bill. I remember that trailer, and I like to open trailers too Dale. Used to get publicity for spectators to come to the races. We had a "Racing At" sign painted on the back of our trailer, and below that I would write in big magic marker on a four inch wide adhesive tape the town we were racing at for the weekend, hoping that the closer we got the more people might come out to watch us.

The bottom D runabout in that old photo is V45. That's Billy Seebold's number.

Post Thanks / Like

Last night, Jim Schoch, Art Neadeck, Mark Hummelsheim and I were invited to speak at the 17th annual Antique Outboard Rally at the North Side Boat Club in Quincy.
    We were asked to relate the role Quincy Welding played in the history of our sport.
    We had a great time! Jim and I brought along some treasured items for display. Each of us made an opening statement, then we opened the floor to a question and answer session.
    One of the first questions related to the big trailer. Jim answered these questions basically as I posted on this site a few days ago. The crowd seemed to enjoy the story about how we changed drivers on the fly!
    They asked some very direct questions and we were open and honest in our answers.
    Some asked technical questions. Some asked questions about our relationships with Mercury and OMC. Some asked "How fast did the boats run etc.")
    After over an hour of Q&A, we closed the open discussions and spent considerable one on one time with the members of the audience!
    I think they enjoyed the evening. I know the 4 of us had a great time. I hope each of our fellow members of this website has this opportunity to share our sport with your local boaters!

P.S. Art also raced boat # V-45

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow Gene. Didn't know that about Art and V-45. How did that happen? I wish I could have been there to listen to you guys and to ask questions.

Post Thanks / Like

Wayne,
    Art raced V-45 in the a Modified Stock division (Gas-burner). That's probably why you didn't know. He has inhaled enough methanol fumes however, to qualify as one of us!
    If you remember the old Buick we used to tow the big trailer had a magnetic sign promoting "Quincy Racing Engines".
    I believe we were in Alex at the time and Chris was driving. A young hot rodder in a Camaro pulled up along side us at a stop light ,looked over at Chris and revved his engine. Chris smiled at him, nodded yes and revved up the Buick.
    The light turned green the kid popped the clutch and the Camaro set there smoking the tires. The Buick hooked up immediately and we beat the Camaro to the next light. Chris looked over and nodded to the kid who totally ignored him. When the light turned green again, the kid turned left not wanting to run the risk of being seen getting his butt kicked again by an old man in a Buick station wagon with 5 grown men in it!
    We laughed all the way to our hotel!
    Once again, O.F. Christner uttered, "It's not who's fastest. It's who's firstest"!!
    Likes Al Lang liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Just wondering Gene , who drove the cab-over hydro ??

Post Thanks / Like

Default If this could only talk

Quote Originally Posted by racingfan1 View Post
    Just wondering Gene , who drove the cab-over hydro ??
    O.F.Christner's son in law Earl Hull drove the cab-over hydro in the 50,s and 60,s somewhere on the form there is a photo of him in the hydro. Art

Post Thanks / Like

Default If this could only talk

Need to make a correction the driver of the cab over hydro was Arlen Crouch he. Was a cousin of Christner Earl Hull drove runabouts. My mind doesn't work as good as it use to it's hell to get old that's not the only part that doesn't work. If only us old farts could get back in a race boat we would put on one hell of show.
    Likes Al Lang liked this post

Thread Information