Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Cal Cup Regatta, Modesto, California

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cal Cup Regatta, Modesto, California

Anyone know what year the Third Annual Cal Cup would have been? This B Runabout on the cover is Bob Powell. Bob owned Signs and Designs in Modesto. He lettered all us boat racers boats. He was a great sign painter, he did Ernie Dawe's, Ted May's, Carl Meyer's and my boats, usually for free.

Bob Started making "Save the Mother Condor" shirts long before anyone was trying to Save the Mother Condor. He helped promote boat races at Bakersfield called "Save The Mother Condor Regatta."

Bob was a fun guy, he loved calling himself Terbor Llewop, Robert Powell spelled backward.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 10-31-2016 at 12:04 PM.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ron,
    I looked up what years Saturday May 18 th landed on. 1957,63,68,74
    By look of the boat I would say 63,64 I hope this helps.
    I'm glad to see your sight up and going.
    [Flyer] Leigh

Post Thanks / Like

Default Must Be 1963, As I Remember Ernie Rose's B Inboard Runabout

Modesto was a fun place in the early 1960's. Wolfman Jack was on the radio til midnight, most cars didn't have air conditioning, so cruising was very popular. The days were hot, most house had swamp coolers, so as the day's dropped it was fun, American Graffiti, the movie wasn't filmed in Modesto, but Modesto had just about everything going on like the movie.

Modest had a Rod and Gun Club that put on the races: Bud David, Mel Clement, Fred Hallett, Al Hart and Evadna "BUCKY" Buckly were the hard workers.

In 1962, the weekend after Memorial Day they had Record Runs for competition Records, Val Sneed (Later married Ernie Dawe's sister) and I went together in my '53 Chevy. Monday was Senior Ditch Day, so I wanted to go to school that day as they were taking us to the beach in buses for the day.

Lucky Grant let us stay it his house. His daughter, whose name I can't recall and Deck Hogan's daughter, Cindy, took Val and me "Cruising". We knew had to race the next day, but we did stay out til about 2:00 A.M. I won D Runabout the next day, but didn't come close to the record, but let with 400 National points.

I'm pretty sure, this program is from 1963. Ernie Rose's boat was a Speedliner with an in line six Chevy. His daughter married Harry Shoshido of Indio. Probably, ernie Dawe's best friend for almost 50 years now.

Thanks Leigh for the post....
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Thread Information