Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hi from Australia

Post Thanks / Like

Default Yamaha 50

Thomas-

One fellow tried the Tohatsu up here but found it could not hang with the Yamaha. Not sure what the issues were, but he never got it screaming right. The Yamaha is an amazing engine, they tap them out at 7 grand or so for hours on end. Rules don't allow stabilizing the crank assy, but that is not where they fail. Lower units are the usual culprit, usually hitting something, or bending a shaft. Now and then the crank will break off right at the upper bearing. The OMC 45 engine has been used, more torque and speed through the twisties, but reliability issues, especially lower unit. They are geared much lower, 12/28 I think and props used are like 25" pitch!

By the way, I love the inflatable scene. I can't imagine racing with a tiller though. Geezzzzzzzzuz.

Cheers-Dale

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arcticracer
    Hi Thomas:

There is a type of racing in Alaska you might be interested in, the Yamaha 50 is king. Unmodified other that rev limiter removal, and nosecone. 12" X 20" to 22" cleavers. 24' long, over 4' wide, crew of 3, 45 gallons of gas, designed to run 400 miles without stopping then a return race back 400 miles. 1500 pounds and speeds of up to 78 mph. You could contact racers off the website if you want to know more about props, etc.

www.yukon800.com

Best regards-Dale

How cold is the water if the boat goes over?
    Sean Byrne
    69R 169R

Post Thanks / Like

Default Yukon 800

Hi Sean-

You mean when the boat goes over, not if........right? There are 3 rivers in the race, 5 miles on the Chena, 210 miles on the Tanana, and 185 in the Yukon. The Tanana is a swift, glacial river and cold. Don't know how cold maybe 40-45? Full of rock silt so thick you can't see 1 inch through it. The Yukon is cold too, but maybe not as fast as the Tanana. In 40 years only one racer has been lost.

Dale-Arcticracer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arcticracer
    Hi Sean-

You mean when the boat goes over, not if........right? There are 3 rivers in the race, 5 miles on the Chena, 210 miles on the Tanana, and 185 in the Yukon. The Tanana is a swift, glacial river and cold. Don't know how cold maybe 40-45? Full of rock silt so thick you can't see 1 inch through it. The Yukon is cold too, but maybe not as fast as the Tanana. In 40 years only one racer has been lost.

Dale-Arcticracer

Hi Dale

I thought that would be a bit nippy if you ended up taking a dip. Sounds like you would have a hard time finding your boat if it sunk too. I think I'll stick to the waters further south
    Sean Byrne
    69R 169R

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

on the yamaha 50 ya can just snip the rev limter, the crank will hang on,
    not so on the Hotsu, but once the crank is set and the ports are cleaned up(cyl alinement is not allways the best) She steps rightup

Post Thanks / Like

we are allowed in our rules to weld the crank 10mm on each pin. Also allowed to remove rev limiter.

my stocker can swing a 15 pitch semi cleaver at 6300rpm - not running extremely high as we need lots of grip in our sport.

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

we run the same hulls hear, on fresh water. I run the Supermod class, turnin a 23 pich over the hub clever. i run in the salt mostly my self unless racin, when i try to mess around on the lake the cops show up,

Thread Information