Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: question about a funny looking 6.5" cleaver prop

Tim Weber
    Post Thanks / Like

That guy in Wisconsin was Denny Wytrowski. The story I heard was he was the front man for Mercury's Mr. Petit.

Denny's business practices have a number interesting stories from what I've heard. I never dealt with him.

Post Thanks / Like

You are right Tim he was I just didn't want to get into that. I never had a problem with Denny.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

John Czblewski ( sp? )made long, skinny,pointy props in the 70's. We called them rabbit ears.
    Thanks Ron Hill thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Their are several successful WI Prop builders in the 50's,60's and 70's while I raced BU and DSR. The most famous one was Don Hendricks, Mercury's prop man. Believe he made most of Waldman's and Herring's. John Czplewski was quite well known and I ran several in B. I tried several of Denny's in D but couldn't get them to go including one of his early 3 blades. My most successful was a 2 blade Kamic reworked several times by the "Master" Carl Stippich. I tried one of Hopkins 3 blade wheels when I tried 36 but it threw a blade in the Fond du lac Winnebago Marathon and he wouldn't replace it but did supply most of Pergande's national winning wheels. Denny's wheels were used quite successfully by the Fox River racers including Kenny Enter, Skip Sheleski, And one of the guys I raced in D , Danny Evans. I had Tom Pettit make two sets of a Digger and a mid course 3 blade wheels for running my classic 78 Stippich DSR originally built for Harold Barnes and on the Replica Sid Hornet I built for Jerry Wienandt. They were copies of wheels used successfully by Norm Schaub made by John C. now owed by Roland Deckert. Both of us had some health injuries, My Replaced Knee and Jerrys foot. Jerry has since sold his Sid to a guy in Texas. I will place the props, two engines , and the Stippich on E bay shortly. Now restoring Chris-Crafts as I don't have to Kneel!!

thon
    Likes Ron Hill liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Default John Czplewski Boat Racer, Propeller Man

I got off on the wrong foot with John Czplewski in 1973. I don't know if he won A Hydro or with just a top five at Willard bay, Utah, Nationals. My dad measure his block and DQ's him. He appealed and Edgar Rose over ruled my dad.

Those of you who know Edgar, he usually isn't a guy you want to argue with, but I had never "Backed Down" with an argument since my first one, 1963. So, I up at OMC, spring 1974. I say, "Edgar, how thick is a KG-4 base gasket?" He throws something like .025. I say, "OK, did you remember than you measurement of John Czplewski's block was off by .025 of my dad's measurement? Well, he says, "I don't recall. I got the block in the mail, I put a new gasket on and measured it. It was legal." I say, "Edgar, they passed a rule you didn't have to have a gasket, the block and cases were sealed without a gasket. You screwed up." Edgar looked at me, then said, "When did they pass that rule?"

Water over the damn. I started seeing John's props and thought the guy was amazing. John "Broom" Kvookjian sent one of my first three blade D Hydro wheels to John. John told Broom, that prop had three "PERFECT" blades (They were welded wheels). After that, I had a hirer regard for John.

Julie Seaman won the Nationals in A Stock Hydro in Wakefield, Michigan with a Czplewski two blade Record. A few year later they came out with the OMC "A" and we started using a restrictor plate for J class and the old KG-4 props worked great on the OMC "J" motors. Julie Seaman came to a Bakersfield to a race and I ended up buying three props from her including the National Championship prop. That was the fast J Hydro wheel, probably in the world. Anyone, I loaned it to, won J Hydro. Chad won the J Hydro Winter nationals at Indio with it.

Is Tom Petit dead? He made some amazing propellers.

Denny Wytrowski sent Dave Bryan a C Runabout three blade that was weird looking, had square blades, went like hell. We tried to get more, but we could never get a hold of him. We had heard he had gone some where where they give free room and board.
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 01-26-2017 at 03:01 PM.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe my memory ( like the rest ) has gone , but I thought KG4's could use a 1/64th or a 1/32 gasket. I don't remember being able to run without a gasket.

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1973 is A Few Years Ago: KG-4 Base Gaskets

Quote Originally Posted by rumleyfips View Post
    Maybe my memory ( like the rest ) has gone , but I thought KG4's could use a 1/64th or a 1/32 gasket. I don't remember being able to run without a gasket.
    Someone may remember better than I, but it seems the 1/64th gaskets were either "hoarded" or "non-existent" hence the rule that any gasket would be legal. My dad is gone, so I can't ask him, be I do remember him saying the gasket was thin as newspaper, and he actually put two or three layers together when measuring the block.

My point to Edgar, in the many, many years of them both measuring motors, my dad and Edgar's number were never .025 apart, maybe .002 or .033.

At one time, I had 25 mark 30 blocks and probably 10 Mark 55 blocks. I'd have my dad measure the ports. Then, I'd sneak one he'd measure back in the group. My dad knew .001. Me, I know an inch of pitch!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    I got off on the wrong foot with John Czplewski in 1973. I don't know if he won A Hydro or with just a top five at Willard bay, Utah, Nationals. My dad measure his block and DQ's him. He appealed and Edgar Rose over ruled my dad.

Those of you who know Edgar, he usually isn't a guy you want to argue with, but I had never "Backed Down" with an argument since my first one, 1963. So, I up at OMC, spring 1974. I say, "Edgar, how thick is a KG-4 base gasket?" He throws something like .025. I say, "OK, did you remember than you measurement of John Czplewski's block was off by .025 of my dad's measurement? Well, he says, "I don't recall. I got the block in the mail, I put a new gasket on and measured it. It was legal." I say, "Edgar, they passed a rule you didn't have to have a gasket, the block and cases were sealed without a gasket. You screwed up." Edgar looked at me, then said, "When did they pass that rule?"

Water over the damn. I started seeing John's props and thought the guy was amazing. John "Broom" Kvookjian sent one of my first three blade D Hydro wheels to John. John told Broom, that prop had three "PERFECT" blades (They were welded wheels). After that, I had a hirer regard for John.

Julie Seaman won the Nationals in A Stock Hydro in Wakefield, Michigan with a Czplewski two blade Record. A few year later they came out with the OMC "A" and we started using a restrictor plate for J class and the old KG-4 props worked great on the OMC "J" motors. Julie Seaman came to a Bakersfield to a race and I ended up buying three props from her including the National Championship prop. That was the fast J Hydro wheel, probably in the world. Anyone, I loaned it to, won J Hydro. Chad won the J Hydro Winter nationals at Indio with it.

Is Tom Petit dead? He made some amazing propellers.

Denny Wytrowski sent Dave Bryan a C Runabout three blade that was weird looking, had square blades, went like hell. We tried to get more, but we could never get a hold of him. We had heard he had gone some where where they give free room and board.
    I purchased a Prop from John in the 70s for my 30H CSH, a 2 blade. He was the only guy that wanted to know what kind of boat I was running, what my motor revved like, what I weighed, all before he made it. It was the best wheel I had for C!! I still have it, and the boat!

Lake Sammamish, Washington and Indio, California
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rumleyfips View Post
    Those 1/64" gaskets were factory gaskets... Made from the same material as the thin bottom base bearing case gasket because the base bearing was water cooled. It was a "Dark red" color. I think those gaskets came from those "Thin Flange" blocks with the beveled intake ports. Even with those "Thin" gaskets I could never get much below 17 cc. But my completely stock serial number 506879 KG4 did set 4 ASH records. I still have the Motor. The "Secret" was the R. Allen "Papa" Smith propellers.
    Dean Hobart

Jerry Wienandt
    Post Thanks / Like

Jon, I now have those props back... They were made for Norm for DU, but were great short course DMH and EMH wheels. Char even won with one of them on her 102 CSH on a tight river course. Great props!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information