Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: question about a funny looking 6.5" cleaver prop

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default question about a funny looking 6.5" cleaver prop

I am hoping someone could tell me what kind of prop I have. I don't have a way to post a picture at this time, but I will describe it as best I can. It is a little three blade prop that is much like a cleaver style. It is about a 6.5" diameter and 12" pitch. It is for about a 9/16" shaft diameter. What is unusual about this prop is the shape of it's blades. They are small and cleaver like, but unlike a cleaver (having straight trailing edges) this one I have has outward curved trailing edges (convex). It makes the blades look like tree leaf shaped blades.

What would this blade be for? A hydro or runabout, or either one? And what is it called as far as style goes? It looks like it could be a Dewald or a late style Hopkins, but I don't see any makers name. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Attachment 61361

like this Hopkins labeled ASH, 6.75 by 11
    Old Race Boats Still Flip You Out

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A/B Speedliner View Post
    Attachment 61361

like this Hopkins labeled ASH, 6.75 by 11
    I tried to look at the attachment posted, but it popped up invalid and I wasn't able to view. This prop I have is also a stainless steel type. The blades are kind of narrow. But I saw the Hopkins website once, and on the "racing propeller" section of their site, they showed a pic of a four blade version of the same blade design as a sample.

Post Thanks / Like

I will try again, have to see what format it is in took it with my IPhone

Post Thanks / Like

Attachment 61362
    See if this works,

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Attachment 61362
    See if this works,
    Still wont pull up....but I appreciate you trying to help though. I looked at the back of the center of the prop and all it has is.... 6-1/2.....12-1/2..... and a number (567). It could be a 20SS prop. I thought it was just 12 pitch, but it is 12.5....

I bored it for a stock 11/16" Yamato 80, and bored front shear-pin holes. It originally had rear shear-pin holes like a mercury or later HotRod would use. I bought it to try on my 10'2" B-style runabout currently equipped with the 80 motor (stock exhaust, modified foot). I will try it at about 5/8" deep just barely tucked. I also added about 13lbs of lead in the nose of the boat to try and make it not porpoise (long leaping actually) so badly when trying to plane and maybe make it handle good in a wide fast turn. I figure a modern kind of three blade would be more appropriate for getting it to run like it should besides just being fast in a straight shot, conditions permitting. I want to eventually make it a viable B-mod runabout, but like it is, it is just a limited action, high speed ride that would likely be a failure at turning and terrible to handle. But I'm still working it out as time goes. Got to overcome the quirks..but I might have to build a bigger boat. Length-10'2" width-44" Bottom width-28" and it has a bottom turn fin about 1/4 the way forward from bottom transom edge to nose of the boat lengthways and just a bit over half way from center to the left chine edge on the planing surface. There was a pic of it on the "show us your rides" portion of this forum. It is titled "my converted champion hotrod and other stuff" thread. I don't really want to run the HotRod, that this boat was actually built for. That thing isn't as stout and could blow up too easy. It is just a fun collector item that would be better on a utility.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hopkins prop

Name:  IMG_1782[1].jpg
Views: 705
Size:  137.4 KB

See if this works, went to new post rather then quick reply

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Name:  IMG_1782[1].jpg
Views: 705
Size:  137.4 KB

See if this works, went to new post rather then quick reply
    YES!! That is just like my prop...Do these work on runabouts? And how are they set generally, height and tuck? Any suggestions are appreciated. THANKS!!

Post Thanks / Like

Should work on the either a hydro or runabout. As to the set up I will leave that to some that has knowledge. I have never used one.

Post Thanks / Like

These props were called Tulip Leaf props I have some I got about 19 83 from a guy in Wis. They ran pretty good om my EMH (44) Merc.

Thread Information