Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Assembly ques.

Post Thanks / Like

You should make a separate post showing these restorations. If you're going to run them I would suggest using Mark 25 cranks in both of your "B" motors. I have a Mark 25 crank in all of my 2 cylinder loopers.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, since I have the original 20H cranks for the B motors, I'll use them.

Also, the Merc lower units I can build for them only have 1:1 gearsets, so I'll have to get advice on props. In the day, these two engines were using 12:15 Konig units but I didn't get them, nor the tube towers which I'll have to make anew.

Thanks

(EDIT) I am curious, Juby; do you use the Mk25 crank with the bronze split bushing, or what?

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smittythewelder View Post
    Well, since I have the original 20H cranks for the B motors, I'll use them.

Also, the Merc lower units I can build for them only have 1:1 gearsets, so I'll have to get advice on props. In the day, these two engines were using 12:15 Konig units but I didn't get them, nor the tube towers which I'll have to make anew.

Thanks
    Smitty,

I started out with a deep skeg1:1 gear case cut off so I had a wider skeg on my "B" Looper. Then a 30 H which is essentially the same except a larger seal carrier for the slightly larger dia drive shaft. Shortly thereafter we switched to a Crescent 13:14 gear case

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smittythewelder View Post

(EDIT) I am curious, Juby; do you use the Mk25 crank with the bronze split bushing, or what?
    Sorry I did not see your edit. I used the Mark 25 crank with the babbitt bearing. I don't remember it being brass, I think the split babbitt bearings are steel? For the amount I run them, it shouldn't be an issue. I think the roller type Mark 25 would also be OK, but I don't know if the center neck on those is narrower than the babbitt style cranks.
    Likes crewman060 liked this post

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

TheMk 25 shaft with Brass cage was also used by Quincy due to the center breaking on the B motors. The A,s used the 20 H crank. I think the Early B's used the 20H as well, but after time and power came up is when the change was made. Today and for a fun ride or show and tell it makes no difference, though I think I would stay away from the steel cages. Steve
    Likes crewman060 liked this post

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Litzell View Post
    TheMk 25 shaft with Brass cage was also used by Quincy due to the center breaking on the B motors. The A,s used the 20 H crank. I think the Early B's used the 20H as well, but after time and power came up is when the change was made. Today and for a fun ride or show and tell it makes no difference, though I think I would stay away from the steel cages. Steve
    At the advise of Dick O'Dea we used the MK25 crank & the bigger reed opening brass reed cages with the labyrinth seal. Dick machined the inside and added the exit holes in the rear of the cages.

Thread Information