Thread: Ron Jones, Sr. Passes 1/19/2017 Hall of Fame Boat Builder

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ron Jones, Sr. Passes 1/19/2017 Hall of Fame Boat Builder

It is with great sadness that I have to share the news that Hall of Fame boat builder and designer Ron Jones Sr. passed away this morning. Please keep Ron and his family in your thoughts and prayers at this difficult time. Plans for a memorial will be announced soon.

When Ron Jones was in Costa Mesa, California, I'd see Ron at least once a month. His dad, Ted Jones, and my dad had been friend since about 1954.

I had a twin Jones that I dearly loved. Once OPC Racing went to single engines, I actually loss a lot of interested in tunnel boat racing.

Rest in Peace, my friend.
    Thanks ClayT thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Bummer.
    And, a little surprised. He wasn't looking so good back in the '90's when they built our second boat.
    I recall he had some issues then that he overcame.
    Last time I saw him was Black Lake ~2000 and he looked great.
    Has it been that long already...
    R.I.P Sr.

Post Thanks / Like

Never met him but knew of him from reading about hydroplane designers and interest in unlimited race boats, I would have liked to meet him. R.I.P.
    Here is some information on Mr. Jones, Sr.

http://b-townblog.com/2017/01/20/not...r-passes-away/
    " Three may keep a secret if two of them are dead" Ben Franklin
    " ------- well Doctor what have we got a Republic or Monarchy? A Republic he replies if you can keep it"
    Benjamin Franklin, 1787 Constitutional Convention, as recorded by signer James McHenry's in his diary at the Library of Congress

Thanks Ron Hill thanked for this post
    Likes Ron Hill liked this post

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I never met him either, but I think I can safely say that there are thousands of boat racers of all categories who knew of his designs and successes. No matter if you are outboard, or inboard a boat racer must recognize that he was a revolutionary designer and understood aerodynamics and contact with water. God rest his soul. Blessings to his family and friends.

Post Thanks / Like

Ron, Sr. was a graduate of Highline High School, Burien, WA, in 1950 (I was Class of '64), and built boats in Seattle for a while before moving to California. I got to see his shop in Costa Mesa at what must surely have been his peak year (1973-'74) because he was simultaneously building FOUR new Unlimiteds (Miss US, Valu-Mart, Lincoln Thrift, and Country Boy, all under one roof), plus an ocean racing tunnel hull, plus there was a 225 sitting outside awaiting some modification! If that weren't enough, he talked about his interest in the new European "ram-wing" and Soviet "Ekranoplan" experimental craft. A very smart man, and very personable.

I wonder how many cabover outboards he built in the early Sixties; for a while you'd see numbers of them at every race until the consensus was that the Sids were faster around a course.
    Thanks Ron Hill thanked for this post
    Likes Ron Hill liked this post

Thread Information