Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Lewis and Boots Morphy: Shooting Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lewis and Boots Morphy: Shooting Star

I was reading Ralph DeSilva's book, a little today. I saw this Boots Morphy article and thought I'd add some.

The name was Morphy, not Murphy. Boots raced M Hydro and so did her brother or brother-in-law. They once caught boots weighing in after a race with lead weight in her bra. They DQ's here.

At Western Divisionals Walker Lake, August 1, 1948. Boot's, brother I thought, I was five at the time, slept on the bottom bunk of their boat trailer and he raised up in the middle of the night, and cut his hand of a fin from the boat on the top bunk. All I remember, was he could not race and he had a big bandage.

My brother won A Hydro that day. But it was not a happy day for the Hill's as my dad's best friend, Frank Malloy, died of a heart attack at this race.

Lewis Morphy was a "Show Man" and had movie actors come to the boat races. While being filmed, he came close to the beach,once, and ran over the decks of several boats. In those days, people left their noses in the water and the back on a saw horse. Lou had fast equipment, but his behavior hurt his popularity.

Lou was a "Trick" shooter in the movies. One night, he got in an argument with him mother-in-law and he shot her, while he was at it, he shot his wife, Boots and himself.

It was a sad day for boat racing.

http://morethanyouneededtoknow.typep...ts-morphy.html
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 02-02-2017 at 05:06 PM.

Thread Information