Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: research project-PRO Division

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default research project-PRO Division

I need some info from some of you guys still out there racing PRO division or anybody that has current information. I've been away too long to know what's going on these days.

First, what is considered a starting class these days. Is the Yamato 80 still the engine? Any ready to go rigs out there? What would it cost to get in with new Equipment? Suggestions on boats.

Now to the more important info. Are there any PRO races in Texas anymore? Where would the closest races from South Texas be held. Where are the top races besides Alexandria and DePue?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team
    I need some info from some of you guys still out there racing PRO division or anybody that has current information. I've been away too long to know what's going on these days.

First, what is considered a starting class these days. Is the Yamato 80 still the engine? Any ready to go rigs out there? What would it cost to get in with new Equipment? Suggestions on boats.

Now to the more important info. Are there any PRO races in Texas anymore? Where would the closest races from South Texas be held. Where are the top races besides Alexandria and DePue?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
    I'll pass on the little I know. Sure there are ready to go rigs out there. I just picked up a Dawecraft that I'm going to run 20SSH and CSH next season. These are stock classes and will be my first races. I also picked up a Y80. The boat is completely equipped ready to go - I paid $2350 for the setup, which I think I got a great deal.

If a guy wanted to run pro with a setup like this he could enter OSY400. I think most guys running OSY400 are using Y102's and 302's. I'm sure you can find some races in your area. Just check out the APBA site as they list most everything. You would be in region 15, and I'm sure they list the clubs for your area as well. You could contact them and get info on stuff local in your area. good luck!!
    Sean Byrne
    69R 169R

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Pro Classes

Wayne,

I think the best start up class in Pro right now is the 125cc hydro. Tim Small has been very instrumental in promoting the class. At the USTS races last season, we had eliminations at every race. The speeds are in the mid 70's. Rossi and VRP have purpose built motors available. Others run "homebuilts". There is also a 125 runabout class. There is some equipment available out there. For some reason, the 125 classes have not taken off in the Northwest.

250 hydro is probably a little much for entry level. They are running in the low to mid 90's. 350's are running "99.99mph" . Beyond that, you're into the capsules.

This coming season, the RB class is being replaced by a 175cc hydro only class. Tim Small won the 175 worlds at Depue last year. Rossi and VRP are both offering 175cc motors. Speeds should be in the low to mid 80's. 125 boats may be a little small for the 175's.

Ask Denny H. if there is any activity in Texas. I know he tries to make the Title Series races, most of which are in the midwest. I believe that there are some Mod races down closer to you. How about it Mod guy's!

Things haven't really changed that much since you left racing. I took a 20 year hiatus, and have my 18 yr old son now running the 125 hydro. The Great people of the sport will help anyone that shows interest. All you have to do is show up at a race and start asking questions. Next thing you know......

Hope this helps,

Dan

Composite Specialties

Default 125cc Hydro

I'll build you a composite 125c hydro Wayne, just let me know.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Seanp3
    I'll pass on the little I know. Sure there are ready to go rigs out there. I just picked up a Dawecraft that I'm going to run 20SSH and CSH next season. These are stock classes and will be my first races. I also picked up a Y80. The boat is completely equipped ready to go - I paid $2350 for the setup, which I think I got a great deal.

If a guy wanted to run pro with a setup like this he could enter OSY400. I think most guys running OSY400 are using Y102's and 302's. I'm sure you can find some races in your area. Just check out the APBA site as they list most everything. You would be in region 15, and I'm sure they list the clubs for your area as well. You could contact them and get info on stuff local in your area. good luck!!
    hey Sean, I think Wayne is probably one of the most experienced and dominant drivers there ever was in the ProDivision some time ago. I could not even hold a stick, compared to him in racing. I think Wayne is refering to the Y80, as it was used in the RBH class, but that class has now been deleted, in favor of the Pro175 class. "If" I was to enter a "REAL" Pro class (OSY is my mind is not a "real" Pro class), it would definately be the new 175 class. Seems that motor would also work great on a DMH, so you could run DMH and 175 with the same boat. Heck, with the new Tietze tower setup, all you would basically have to do, is swap powerheads (along with their fuel system) and lower units and pull the weight you might have in the boat for DMH......I know it is more entailed that that, but that was just a thought.....

heck, if their were people interested in running 175H in Cali, I would go for it, giving up 20SSH. In fact, my new DMH is being built so that I "can" run 175H, if the chance comes up. The boat is being built with more composites and carbon fiber, to save some weight.

Wayne, you could show me how to drive a Pro hydro and win!!!!
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks Sean, Dan and Marc

I thought 125's were a little faster than that. Could be a possibility. I was originally thinking 125 hydro, but then thought maybe Formula 350 would be better. My son Andrew will turn 16 in a couple of weeks. Since some neighbors complained to the cops about his dirt bike, he is off the street now and devoted all his attention to guitars and drums. He is really getting pretty good, but the bands he likes have some self destructive habits. I want him to have other things to focus on. You know how the influences are at that age.

I have been thinking for some time about getting him involved in boat racing, but time and distance is the limiting factor. I don't know of any active Pro clubs in Texas. Denny checks in every couple of weeks so I hope he can fill me in. Artie Lund is still involved in racing, especially with his granddaughter, but he doesn't run Pro anymore I don't think.

Marc, could you send me some info on your boats? My address is

Wayne Baldwin
    716 Co Rd 372
    Sandia, Texas 78383

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks for the kind words Daren

You slipped on the inside of me while I was responding to the three previous posts. I'm not sure about teaching you to win. There is a particular lesson in Ron's driving school that I frequently violated. And yes, I did win a lot of races that way, but it also cost me 3 national championships.

I appreciate you guys helping me out here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mercguy
    hey Sean, I think Wayne is probably one of the most experienced and dominant drivers there ever was in the ProDivision some time ago. I could not even hold a stick, compared to him in racing. I think Wayne is refering to the Y80, as it was used in the RBH class, but that class has now been deleted, in favor of the Pro175 class. "If" I was to enter a "REAL" Pro class (OSY is my mind is not a "real" Pro class), it would definately be the new 175 class. Seems that motor would also work great on a DMH, so you could run DMH and 175 with the same boat. Heck, with the new Tietze tower setup, all you would basically have to do, is swap powerheads (along with their fuel system) and lower units and pull the weight you might have in the boat for DMH......I know it is more entailed that that, but that was just a thought.....

heck, if their were people interested in running 175H in Cali, I would go for it, giving up 20SSH. In fact, my new DMH is being built so that I "can" run 175H, if the chance comes up. The boat is being built with more composites and carbon fiber, to save some weight.

Wayne, you could show me how to drive a Pro hydro and win!!!!

Thanks Daren, and sorry Wayne. Didn't mean to step in where I shouldn't have. Still learning a ton right now.
    Sean Byrne
    69R 169R

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing to be sorry about Sean. You didn't step in where you shouldn't have. I asked and you responded and I appreciate your input. I have a ton to learn too.

Post Thanks / Like

Default no worries.......

Quote Originally Posted by Seanp3
    Thanks Daren, and sorry Wayne. Didn't mean to step in where I shouldn't have. Still learning a ton right now.

heck Sean, you are learning more and faster tha I ever did, when I got
    started!!!! Now, I am going to have to worry about racing against you on the
    race course in 20SSH or CSH........you might just beat me! Damn, wouldn't
    that suck for me..........getting beat by a rig I used to own!!!!!! I
    also have to worry about my other old Dawe 20SSH/CSH I sold to another Wash
    guy last year! Now, the odds are building against me, of geting beat by rigs
    I used to own........

this is the 2003 Dawe I sold to Dave Tristo (I think Tyler Echols drives it
    now) last year........they also have the Dawe CSH I could not keep from
    blowing over in 2003......
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

Thread Information