Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: research project-PRO Division

Post Thanks / Like

Default not me!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team
    ....12 boats you start in lane 8. 7 boats on the left 4 on the right. Do not start on the inside. Gun jumpers will get you if you do. This has been proven true. However I have also gotten in trouble in lane 8 a few times. One memorable one at Alexandria.

Daren, The pool question was to smoke you out. Thought I detected some sandbagging. seems like most pool player have a little bit of hustler in them. So I have to remind myself to never challenge you in pool or a hometown race course.

Hey Stanley thanks for the story and info. I haven't heard from Artie in a while. If I did have to go with mods, I would have to bring a can of sterno filled with methanol and a splash of castor oil for the correct atmosphere. Hey, they wouldn't let us run Master Oil in the fuel would they?

Sandbagging????? Definately not me! As to beating me on a "hometown" race course...well, everyone else does!!!!!!
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

Post Thanks / Like

Default 175cch

Daren:

Let's get the class going. I have a boat hanging in the rafters that would be perfect. If 175 gets going, I would get a VRP from Litzell and put Teri in the boat.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe J
    Daren:

Let's get the class going. I have a boat hanging in the rafters that would be perfect. If 175 gets going, I would get a VRP from Litzell and put Teri in the boat.

Joe
    we would have to get (2) more 175H's, before I get a motor. It would be boring (and frustrating) for me, getting beat by Teri every time!! Tony L. showed some interest, but do not know if I want to run with him in 175, since he loves to chop you off........right Tony????

my newly coming Darneille DMH would work good with that VRP175!
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default whose got pictures of a VRP175?

What about 125's are any of those fixing to come on the market?

Post Thanks / Like

I can't find a pic of a 175, but they don't look much different from a 250, just one cylinder instead of 2
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default You could get a really low profile with that

What about the tower housing and lower unit? Do they make them also or do you have to go to specialty shops?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wayne,

Right now Rex Hall is the distributor for Rossi engines. Rossi has a single cylinder 175 that Rex helped put together. Steve Litzell is the distributor for VRP motors. The VRP 175 is a twin cylinder. Ralph Donald and Buddy Tennell ran them at DePue last season. Dean Hobart had a couple of Rossi 125's for sale and a Rossi 175 that Rex built. Don't know if he sold them or not.The USTS web site (ustitleseries.org)has contact info for both Rex and Steve.

Dan

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lee Tietze of Machined Components!

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team
    What about the tower housing and lower unit? Do they make them also or do you have to go to specialty shops?

Lee makes one of the best tower assy's I have ever seen and is also working on a lower unit...........
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

Post Thanks / Like

Default 125's and 175's

I believe that you can get Rossi's and VRP's as complete race ready assemblies from either Rossi or VRP. Not sure where Sam's photo of the 250 VRP came from, but those carbs would be a little dated. The 175 VRP is a 2-cylinder engine and it runs very smoothly. The Rossi 175 showed a lot of punch at DePue, but a I think it had a bit more vibration than the 2-cylinder.

125cc classes are required to have a single cylinder. Both Rossi's and VRP's are competitive (as they are in 250 and 350 as well). Rossi and Konny has 11:15 units available. Rossi also has some other gear combinations (11:16 and 11:17). I have run both gear cases under the 250 and found them comparable in terms of handling and longevity.

The 125 class has become well established and is popular with the up and comers (young drivers) and the established (older) drivers. Just a great all around class that offers reasonable speeds, affordability and strong competition.

We will have to see where the 175 class heads. The VRP 175 is sure a beautiful engine and the speed of about 80 to 85 mph is one that the category needs. I am considering a 175 or a 250 runabout as a second class. Either way, it is another boat and another engine and another lower unit.

Post Thanks / Like

Default PRO Starting class

Wayne,
    Yesterday, I spent a couple of hours at work (off and on) writing my thoughts regarding current boats and engines and what might be the best place for you to get started again. I thought I sent it about 4:45, but apparently the brf system had logged me out.
    In PRO racing, there are lots of choices for boats and engines. And as always, there are lots of great folks willing to help in any way they can. I think that this is a great time to get started racing again, mainly because of what I saw in '05. Most classes are growing in participation and compitition. The US Title Series is a top shelf organization made up of first class people and I expect it to continue to grow and improve.
    I'd love to talk to you about boats and engines, please give me a call anytime at home during the week, I still live in Garland. Or, on the weekend after deer season is over. Thanks for all the great pictures and stories you have given to all of us.

Thread Information