Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: research project-PRO Division

Post Thanks / Like

Default Watch the rates...

With the crazies in France causing unrest, the dollar is gaining on the Euro which should make these Italian engines less expensive. About a 15% premium today on the Euro, but let's hope it continues to fall.

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen the 125's run a couple of times and I am very impressed with them. However, I've talked to a couple of the guys who race them and they said that once you fire the engine, you can't back off the throttle, milling, racing, going for the start, etc... and wondered if it is due to their set-up or if the motor is just that touchy.
    Joe Silvestri
    CSH/500MH

My avatar picture is complements of Fred Eckert. 1997 Hinton, WV Nationals Thundermug 20-H Runabout.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Touchy PRO Engines?

This touchiness can be caused by too much fuel (jetting) or too much prop. Also, a little inexperience with the sliding pipe can cause a good running engine to burble and belch. Correct jetting comes with practice and good notes (also a little carb maintenance between races helps). Prop selection, well that comes with practice, but someone in 125 will always err on the side of too much prop, because if you catch the start just right......you are off to the races out front and it will be hard to run you down. But if you are in the inside and not to the first turn first, well it will be a long heat. The pipe requires a little finese. Slamming it forward will kill the RPM's. Generally, you have to work it forward steadily.

Oh, all of the above applies to the 250's also, you just a little more margin for error!!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 125 ride

Wayne,

I think Dean Hobart still has my old 125 hydro for sale. It was built in 2003 by Mike Krier and was designed by Denny. It was a great boat and I still have the VRP that I won the worlds with on the same boat for sale. We would throw my 125 runabout in real cheap if you wanted the engine.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks Tim

There are some really good comments coming out of this. I am interested Tim. The one question I had about 125's was the peakiness. And Denny, it would not be me with the kneepads and throttle. It would be my son Andrew. With absolutely no experience, we would just have to go with a smaller prop for learning. The number one factor in all of this though is where will we race besides DePue? If we have to go 1000+ one way miles for racing it won't work. Can't do that. We need something at least within 500-600 one way. Preferably some 300 or less, but I don't see that. It may be that there's nothing out there for us in the Pro division. Unless, we bunk at Charley Bradley's and race out of Florida

My potential driver
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Default Get the Equipment....

..and we will get it to a lot of the races for you. What an offer!! I sometimes have an open bunk and plenty of others here do as well. With a concentration of races in and around DePue with the USTS, a lot of the equipment "summers" in Depue under the watch of the first City of Alky racing.

But there are not any races close to you. Yet?? First thing you need are racers. The races will follow next.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Alexandria

Wayne I think the title series would come back to Alexandria. It just makes sense. Maybe you could help lobby for this. I still have my 125 hydro and some sponsorship money waiting for the asking. The U S title series is a first class organization and I am sure they would welcome the opportunity to race at the best lake for racing anywhere!!

Mark
    L22

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fickle 125 #1

2005 National Champion Brandon Thirlby. Photo by Teri Ziemer.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fickle 125 #2

Brian Payne in a 125 R wins the Nationals. Photo by Teri Ziemer.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fickle 125's #3

Paulie Bosnich and Buddy Tennell hit the start in 125 hydro at the Nationals. I believe that Buddy took second and Paulie took third. Photo by Teri Ziemer.

Thread Information