Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Fiber reeds ??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fiber reeds ??

Any one got any experience with carbon as material to make reeds ??
    Noticed some threads over at S&F , ended whitout any conclusion .

What types can be used ?
    Thickness ? .015" , .025" ....
    Durability ?

Are they worth the time ........

Planed on using some fiber reeds when restoring a old Mercury L6 , looks like the only way to do something with these engines .
    + Some work on the reed cage ??

Might be able to use a CNC ( wood working CNC at work )machine to cut some part of the reeds (
    red line might be a problem )

First post, but not fist visit

Arne Kjetil
    Last edited by Droll-l6; 11-06-2005 at 11:48 AM.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Reeds

Quote Originally Posted by Droll-l6
    Any one got any experience with carbon as material to make reeds ??
    Noticed some threads over at S&F , ended whitout any conclusion .

What types can be used ?
    Thickness ? .015" , .025" ....
    Durability ?

Are they worth the time ........

Planed on using some fiber reeds when restoring a old Mercury L6 , looks like the only way to do something with these engines .
    + Some work on the reed cage ??

Might be able to use a CNC ( wood working CNC at work )machine to cut some part of the reeds (
    red line might be a problem )

First post, but not fist visit

Arne Kjetil
    Save yourself time and frustration just call Boyenson reed company and order them they work great and they make them for almost all applications

Post Thanks / Like

I have used both carbon fiber and fiberglass reeds and I would not recommend either in a non racing motor.

I would also recommend just buying a V-6 if you want more power
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default carbon reeds

Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H
    I have used both carbon fiber and fiberglass reeds and I would not recommend either in a non racing motor.

This reply makes sense, but I think it was a question of what is better for the 75H fiber glass or carbon reeds???

I recommend carbon fiber reeds, use merc 100 reed stop and shape them to fit the reed so it won't wrap over the end and break.
    Or call boyenson and get their reed but still use the merc 100 reed stop.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hshaw
    This reply makes sense, but I think it was a question of what is better for the 75H fiber glass or carbon reeds??? I recommend carbon fiber reeds, use merc 100 reed stop and shape them to fit the reed so it won't wrap over the end and break. Or call boyenson and get their reed but still use the merc 100 reed stop.
    Howard, look at his reed picture. His motor is a 115, 135, 140, 150, not a 60 or 66ci Mk75 or 78. Your advice about the 100 stops is OK for a 60ci motor, but does not apply to 99ci motors.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Reed Info

Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H
    Howard, look at his reed picture. His motor is a 115, 135, 140, 150, not a 60 or 66ci Mk75 or 78. Your advice about the 100 stops is OK for a 60ci motor, but does not apply to 99ci motors.
    My Bad sorry! I was confused by the 75H on his original request, plus I tried to adapt this style reed to 78A 66 engine once by making a reed block and mounting this style reed on the two sides. Alot of work with low resualts!

Post Thanks / Like

Save yourself time and frustration just call Boyesen reed company and order them they work great and they make them for almost all applications
    The plan was to make some "adjustment" on the reed blocks ,witch leads to the need of some slightly bigger reeds .
    + Got some negative feedback on Boyesen reeds used on a inline .
    Link to Boyesen reeds for an inline 6 99 ci .

Planing on using this engine on a lightweight 16 foot tunnel boat ,racing lookalike

Work in progress , next project ??

Just wanted to find some hidden horses , I know they are in there ...

But :
    Cutting heads ......dead end
    Porting block.....might get 0.1 hp or loose 10 .
    Balancing the internals , well, this one might work .
    Carburetors ... got an idea , if it works you will know.
    Reed blocks ..... this is the one mod I got some faith in , week link in the inline design ??

But I got one good advantage , her in Norway we still got good quality gas ...it's expensive but....

Howard, look at his reed picture. His motor is a 115, 135, 140, 150, not a 60 or 66ci Mk75 or 78.**
    140 hp .

IF I want to try some fiber , what thickness would you recommend , did read something about 0.013" would be to thin in a non racing engine , how about 0.020" ? , merc std reeds are 0.0084" ( steel ) .

Any advice about the reed block ( except not doing anything ) what would you recommend , bigger holes ? ( still keeping the step , or make a new one ) , rounding the holes on the back ( better flow ) , smoothen and/or polish the surface under the reeds ( outside of the block ) .

Arne Kjetil
    Last edited by Droll-l6; 11-11-2005 at 08:18 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

With over 30 years of product development the inline 6 Merc is maxed out

Really ... there is nothing you can do .... if you want more than stock power, just forget about the inline and spend your time and money on the V-6

I would not use thin reeds in a motor that is not disassembled and checked between each weekend of use; I seriously doubt you are up to that with an inline Merc

If your gasoline quality is really good you can experiment with increasing your ignition advance (up to the point you see evidence of piston erosion). One slip and you are looking for pistons and maybe a block.

You will see much greater speed and performance increases with selecting the best prop and set up height/angle/set back compared to ANY motor work on a big inline Merc

Post Thanks / Like

Really ... there is nothing you can do .... if you want more than stock power, just forget about the inline and spend your time and money on the V-6
    Not the first time I have heard than sentence , looks like I got some problems with my ears ......already bean looking on some V6 engines.

But I got some extra reed blocks ,so I will try to modify them ,still not shore if I am going to use them .....

If your gasoline quality is really good you can experiment with increasing your ignition advance
    Might try some small increments .

One last question .. how does these engines react on weight balancing the internal parts ,weight adjustment ( not lightening , just making sure all parts are 100% equal ) + cleaning up all internal casting imperfections .

This engine are stripped down to it's individual parts , can't be worse than it's now

Arne Kjetil

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Droll-l6

One last question .. how does these engines react on weight balancing the internal parts ,weight adjustment ( not lightening , just making sure all parts are 100% equal ) + cleaning up all internal casting imperfections .

This engine are stripped down to it's individual parts , can't be worse than it's now

Arne Kjetil
    Certainly can't hurt and should make the motor last longer

Thread Information