Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Parker official results for 1971 and 1972

Post Thanks / Like

Default Those Flat Pads on the Bottoms of the Sponsons....

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    Johnny was given Scotti's Havasu Winning Molinari and the winning set of props, that were 17's. He waS SLOW As hell as we had 19's and 21's from Phil Rolla. OMC said, "Scotti won Havasu with those props." 4 mile lap, rough as hell, Parker 13 mile lap, pretty smooth, really!

FYI: The is Gerry Walin driving the "WINNING" wing.
    I put those flat pads on the bottoms of those sponson, they were made out of red wood 2 X 12's. Same with the pads in front of the motor...I said, "This thing is never going to fly, needs some support."

I'm pretty sure Huge Entrop designed this boat, as the center wing was a reverse airplane wing, so when the bow went up, the transom went higher. I don't think this was a DeSilva design.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Not That I Cared for Inboards

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    It became painfully clear, that the inboard's day at the Parker 9 Hour were over. So, I wrote runs for five Divisions, and offered to buy trophies for the 1973 Parker 9 Hour. Parker, was reluctant to divide the race into classes, but with my "Smooth talking" they agreed with me.

So, 1973 had 5 Divisions: Division V was any V-Drive and any outboard with full shifting lower unit (Not gearcase yet). And also VP APBA and any MOD VP outboard boat (First time MOD VP's name was used). John Stoker had Rich Hallett, himself, put a deck on some heavy V Bottom outboard and they put an new Evinrude V-6 200 HP on it.

Well, the 200 Evinrude ran like a "SONG" ALL DAY!. Stoker pulled in right at the 9th hour to get gas and was on the trailer when the race ended. They put the boat back in the water and ran the last lap winning Division V (Outboard full shifting lower unit and any V-Drive class).

Well, the V-Drive guys protested Stoker saying, "The rule says you have to be running at the end of the race."

The race committee up held the protest. The next year MOD VP had their own class and the V-Drive class was Division VI. That was the beginning of MOD VP.
    My brother was APBA Region 12 Chairman, when Parker ran their first 9 Hour under APBA, as Region Chairman, myself, I didn't want to see the Enduro die. It wasn't "LOVER" of V-Drives that I wrote the rules for, I wanted the race to survive and I knew most inboards were heading to Ski Racing.
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 03-25-2020 at 02:50 PM.

Thread Information