Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Parker official results for 1971 and 1972

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Parker official results for 1971 and 1972

Looking for the official results from Parker for 71 and 71.

Thanks very much
    Thanks Ron Hill thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Default Parker 1972 .....

Quote Originally Posted by MErkMAniak View Post
    Looking for the official results from Parker for 71 and 71.

Thanks very much
    Hey Ron,
    Would you happen to have the official results for this race? One of the guys just bought a Schulze that was in that race, probably driven by Mac McCune. He is trying to find out how it finished. I couldn't find anything in Powerboat that could help.

Thanks, Bill (your tomato soup story sharing buddy )
    Likes Ron Hill liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Default I Have All Parker 9 Hour Programs, Somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by Willabee View Post
    Hey Ron,
    Would you happen to have the official results for this race? One of the guys just bought a Schulze that was in that race, probably driven by Mac McCune. He is trying to find out how it finished. I couldn't find anything in Powerboat that could help.

Thanks, Bill (your tomato soup story sharing buddy )
    I put most of my "STUFF" up over head in the shop, last year.......but have been pulling some stuff down and posting it, here and on Facebook. I am actually trying to write "MY BOOK" and I am up to 1961...

Found some "RICE" in our Golden's "POOP" this A.M.......thought of Portugal, got her to the Vet for some pills....

1972 poster hanging in our lobby! Might be Barry Wood's Schultz. ADD: The Parker Programs USUALLY only had the top ten.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Thanks Willabee thanked for this post
    Likes Willabee liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    I put most of my "STUFF" up over head in the shop, last year.......but have been pulling some stuff down and posting it, here and on Facebook. I am actually trying to write "MY BOOK" and I am up to 1961...

Found some "RICE" in our Golden's "POOP" this A.M.......thought of Portugal, got her to the Vet for some pills....

1972 poster hanging in our lobby! Might be Barry Wood's Schultz. ADD: The Parker Programs USUALLY only had the top ten.
    You are way too old to be just at 1961! Hell, the 67/74 years will take you a decade to reduce to writing. Of course part of the problem is that you think a lot like Jackie Wilson ..... why say something in seven words when you can say it in seventy?

Good luck with your book, I look forward to reading it.

I'll show the 351 Woods/Hauenstein Schulze to the man looking , thanks.
    Likes Ron Hill, Al Lang liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willabee View Post
    ..... Good luck with your book, I look forward to reading it.

I'll show the 351 Woods/Hauenstein Schulze to the man looking , thanks.
    Just an FYI ..... I did find what Powerboat calls the top 20 finishers running at the end. I don't think he needs anything further.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1972 Parker 9 Hour Results????

Well, what are they? I know I was second!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Parker results 1972 .....

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    Well, what are they? I know I was second!
    Here ya go, from Powerboat, April 1972 .....

Name:  Jimbo & May - Scotti Parker 1972 1st.jpg
Views: 834
Size:  96.7 KB

'BOATS TO FINISH AND LAPS RECORDED'

1. McConnell/May - 60 - #191 - OB
    2. Wallace/Hill - 59 - #777 - OB
    3. Woods/Hauenstein - 59 - #351 - OB
    4. Holloway/Bourquin - 57 - #165 - OB
    5. Rexwinkle Brothers - 57 - #411 - IB
    6. Seebold/Petty - 56 - #190 - OB
    7. Peacock/Gagen - 55 - #125 - OB
    8. Larson/Traen - 53 - #229 - OB
    9. Chiaravalle - 53 - #39 - OB
    10. Brunette - 51 - #107 - OB
    11. Rex/Baker/Mullette - 48 - #991 - IB
    12. Ellison/Knight/Foster - 45 - #46 - OB
    13. Johnson/Lane - 43 - #380 - OB
    14. Folt/Cline/Perkins - 38 - #69 - IB
    15. Aldrich/Hessman - 31 - #87 - OB
    16. Irving - 29 - #85 - IB
    17. McCarroll/Nicholson - 29 - #3 - IB
    18. Cobb/O'Brian/Packer - 22 - #711 - IB
    19. Trichler/McClure - 20 - #294 - Jet
    20. Paine - 20 - #277 - Jet

OMC took the top three spots just like they did in 1970. However, this time they managed to avoid their "three stooges" type drama in the last turn. You guys should make Mr. Hill tell that story!

Post Thanks / Like

Default I Am An "Excellent" Story Teller

Facts with me, when telling stories sometimes get confused, but to call OMC drivers, that finished one, two and three, at the 1970 Parker 9 Hour, The Three Stooges.....Hmm. That would make me one of the "STOOGES".

The 10,000 people that saw that AMAZING ending to a 9 Hour Race, if they are still alive, know they saw one of the greatest finishes in boat racing history.

I might start off saying, on the first lap I was running third, an a guy driving an INBOARD, which I hated then and probably still do, cut me off and ran me into an inner tube buoy. The driver was Jigs Howard driving a red and white boat named Miss Shirley. (And to not still be pissed off at him, 53 years later, he may not have seen the buoy and had to make a quick turn...to miss it).

OMC boats didn't have many gauges on our dash, but we did have "HOT LIGHTS". Right after running over this damn buoy, my "Hot Light" came on, on my right motor. I pulled a shore and jumped in the water. I determined, that the inner tube was wrapped around my gearcase and was tangled in the prop. There was no way in hell to get the tube off the gearcase and prop, but I determined, that If i could re start the engine, the tube would break. So, I jumped back in, fired the left engine, and tried to fire the right engine, it started and I went slow, the "Hot Light" went out, so I assume the inner tube was gone.

SO, ON THE FIRST LAP I GO FROM THIRD, TO PROBABLY 47TH. MY DAD WAS ALWAYS A "WORRY WART" about gas and oil. I had won the 1967 Havasu World Championships because the Berghauer brothers ran out of gas. So, when OMC was telling people when to fuel, my dad said, "We'll pit you at two hours", my dad said, "We are running about 8-10 MPH than we were at Havasu, on 13 mile lap. No, we are stopping at an hour and forty minutes."

My brother, who usually never got his feet wet, yelled at me to have Dewey Berghauer stop and one hour twenty minutes. Dewey was my co driver, and I wasn't sure my bother's logic, but I told Dewey to come back in one hour twenty minutes.

My brother asked what happened on the first lap. I told him the story. He said, "Well the way I calculate your times, you can win this thing. But, I know Dewey is a good driver, but unless he laps the same times as you, you probably won't win."

Dewey did well, but didn't make the time it did. In Dewey's defense, I grew up around that river and knew the shore line had deep water. When I got in, Russ just said, "Drive hard".

Now my brother, who passed away nine years ago this December, had worked at Hubbell Motor before he went in the Army. He had designed his 1949 Hearst Regatta's winning "A" gearcase and he'd helped "PEP" Hubbell with many of his motor parts that he "Designed" and sold.

When Russ was in the Army in Germany, he ran an IBM machine. When he returned from the Army, he tried to go to college to study "Data Processing" and they had never heard of it. He went to work for Rheem Manufacturing, they made hot water tanks. He soon ran the company.

He left Rheem to help Kennedy put a man on the moon. Then moved to Mattel Toys where he basically ran the company, as computers were new, and Russ ran the computers.

He left Mattel in 1978 to run the OFFY INDY CAR FACTORY. John Drake, his life long friend and boat racing buddy hired Russ to run his company. Lee Iaccoca wanted to build and Indy car motor but he owed the government money and didn't think it was a good idea.

My brother shut Drake Engineering down in 1981 and he went to work on the Stealth Bomber Project. When the project ended, my brother had 500 people working for him.

John Drake, had started making water pumps, with my help. He made thin blades like my race props. Roger Penske bought the water pumps to run on his Indy cars. One year, every Honda at Indy had John Drake water pumps.

Point being here, each time I stopped for gas, Russ would just tell me "Keep Pushing". And I figured he knew data.

I caught Gerry Walin by taking a short cut through the trees, Bobby Witt was leading but I could see we were gaining on him. So, when Walin pitted I figured I only had to run Witt down. But, all of sudden, here comes Alan Stinsen, coming through the trees taking the short cut. There were old dead trees all along the back straight away just before Blue Water. If you could straighten the river out, you could save a lot of ground, but there were these trees. As Stinsen goes by me, like 8:40 into the race, 20 minutes to go in the race, his props are throwing large pieces of tree stumps off his props. These pieces are like one foot long, 2 1/2 in diameter, but he ain't backing down. They are coming out between his motors bouncing off my boat, I'm ducking these pieces of water logged dead trees.

So, as we make the Blue Water turn, I figure , we have two laps left. As Stinsen and I head back up river, I lay on my windshield to get it lower thinking this might help my speed and I hug the shore but don't go near the docks because I remember Bob Ellis being killed running under a dock.

I look over and there goes Stinsen by me, damn near knocking the docks down. We get to La Paz Park turn and I out turn him. We head back to Blue Water, at the 76 gas dock I hug the shore so tight I knock tulle's down with my right sponson. I figure, I got the SUMBITCH now. As we get to Blue Water, I make the turn, but Bobby Witts seems way too far ahead to catch.

By now there are no buoys on the river and the river is quite a few big curves in it.

One lap to go. As I leave Blue Water, I go across the river to the other side, as a "Short Cut", I look back, Stinsen is following me, I'm holding my windshield down flat to go faster but Stinsen is gaining, as he is faster in a straight line, and we are going from one side of the river to the other in a STRAIGHT LINE. There are no buoy, so we straighten out the river, by going shore to shore.

I beat him to La Paz, but he's very close. We head for Blue Water 6 1/2 miles away, for our last time. I'm on the wrong side of the river, cutting the river corners to within a foot of the docks. As was come in sight of Blue Water, we are damn near neck and neck. We both see Bobby Witt, the leader, less than 100 yards a head of us. I decide, Stinsen isn't passing me, if I have to run him into the trees. He and I are running neck and neck.

I realize I can't block him, he's faster and he can go through the trees, Witts swings, wide,Stinsen and I both pass Witt, I decide to "DIVE" in the hole at the turn and I hook a sponson and it tosses me out of the seat on to the deck.. Bobby Witt sees me go "*** Over Tea Kettle" and figures I'm going in the water, so he makes hard right and it tosses him out of the boat. Stinsen sees both Witt and me dead in the water and he hauls *** in the corner with that wing and runs clear up to and almost on to the beach, but finally spins it.

I climb back in my seat and re fire my motors and head for the finish line leading, Stinsen gets the wing going and beats me by a foot. Witt who had lead the last 3-4 four hours finished third. Stinsen led only one foot all day, to win the 1970 Parker 9 Hour Enduro.

I never met Alan Stinsen before the race and never saw him again, but he drove that wing to the win, no accident. I drove 7 hours and 40 minutes, drove home for six hours that Sunday night, and taught school on Monday.

The boat in my avitar is the boat I was running.
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 01-06-2023 at 12:37 PM.
    Thanks Willabee thanked for this post
    Likes Willabee, Steve Pinson liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Default Now The Rest of the Story, 1972

Look closely to the 191 number of Jimbo and Ted's boat....I'll tell the rest of the story later.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ron:

Far be for me to tell you in which thread to place this story, BUT, if this was me, I think without a doubt it belongs in Wayne Baldwin's
    AMAZING STORIES thread as it truly is an "amazing story". First because of the story, and secondly that you can remember it so vividly after all these years.

Thread Information