Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Parker official results for 1971 and 1972

Post Thanks / Like

Default Parker 1970 ....

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    ..... The 10,000 people that saw that AMAZING ending to a 9 Hour Race, if they are still alive, know they saw one of the greatest finishes in boat racing history. ..... .
    I agree, it was the most chaotic end to a race that I have ever seen! The three of you really put on a show, all determined to win. Those of us that were fortunate enough to witness that finish will never forget it.

..... and yes, you do tell a good story

Post Thanks / Like

Default February, 1972, Miami Marine Stadium: 225 Enduro

Quote Originally Posted by Willabee View Post
    Here ya go, from Powerboat, April 1972 .....

'BOATS TO FINISH AND LAPS RECORDED'

1. McConnell/May - 60 - #191 - OB
    2. Wallace/Hill - 59 - #777 - OB
    3. Woods/Hauenstein - 59 - #351 - OB
    4. Holloway/Bourquin - 57 - #165 - OB
    5. Rexwinkle Brothers - 57 - #411 - IB
    6. Seebold/Petty - 56 - #190 - OB
    7. Peacock/Gagen - 55 - #125 - OB
    8. Larson/Traen - 53 - #229 - OB
    9. Chiaravalle - 53 - #39 - OB
    10. Brunette - 51 - #107 - OB
    11. Rex/Baker/Mullette - 48 - #991 - IB
    12. Ellison/Knight/Foster - 45 - #46 - OB
    13. Johnson/Lane - 43 - #380 - OB
    14. Folt/Cline/Perkins - 38 - #69 - IB
    15. Aldrich/Hessman - 31 - #87 - OB
    16. Irving - 29 - #85 - IB
    17. McCarroll/Nicholson - 29 - #3 - IB
    18. Cobb/O'Brian/Packer - 22 - #711 - IB
    19. Trichler/McClure - 20 - #294 - Jet
    20. Paine - 20 - #277 - Jet

OMC took the top three spots just like they did in 1970. However, this time they managed to avoid their "three stooges" type drama in the last turn. You guys should make Mr. Hill tell that story!
    My wife's folks lived in Wisconsin (Janesville, one time home of Parker Pen) and they also had a place in Florida. So, when my wife heard we were racing in Florida, as part of the Miami Boat Boat Show, we decided to make it a Mini Vacation. We got down there, maybe Tuesday night. My wife worked for TWA, so the air fare was pretty cheap.

So, because I had been there all day Wednesday, I got to test my boat first on Thursday. I'll be real honest here, I never wanted or liked single engine racing. Twins and Triple excited the spectators, singles put them to sleep. So, I think Ann Strang knew this, and to keep my interest, she made sure I got a good ride, with my in-laws being there.

Few probably ever knew this, but I'm pretty sure, Ann Strang always assigned most of the boats to the drivers she liked.

Anyway, I was assigned the Black and White Scotti. The last time I had raced at Miami Marine Stadium, I had run the same Molinari Fred Hauenstein had raced to a second place at Parker 1971. So, I tired a few props, usually, I got one to try. By testing first, I sort of had the pick of what was "Set Out".

When I put the boat on the trailer and got out, I announced to everyone, that I WOULD WIN SUNDAY'S RACE. I said this boat is so fast, handles so well, I'm guaranteeing a win. Even though I was always a little "COCKY" I really don't ever recall saying, "I'm going to win this race." (This was the only time).

Well, the race got "BLOWN OUT" and it never happened. The Parker 9 Hour was about a month away. I show up for Parker and the BLACK and White Scotti has a new number, 191, on it...It has a number plate glued over my number 9.

Jimbo says, "Yea, you and Mike Wallace get the NEW Scotti, I have to run the OLD one." I go, "Bull ****, that Black and White Scotti is a rocket and you know it...." I made a big stink with Jack Leek, but still had to run the "NEW" Scotti. Lucky for Mike Wallace and me, my dad had bought a half dozen Mercury three blades and one of them which he had reworked, or maybe I had, went pretty well.

The rest is History, the #191 won with ease. I've only been mad a Jimbo once in 57 years, and winning Parker in "MY" Black and White Scotti is the only time I've been mad at him since 1960.

Now Jimbo has been made at me twice, once because I would NOT stop on the way home from Jack Leek's Memorial Service (He wanted to eat lemon mo-rang pie at 9:00 o'clock in the morning). I told him he was already too fat." The other time, and he'd forgotten this, I spent about $2.00 worth of his Indian Head nickels.

Look at the number plate on #191, glued over #9. Other BLURRED picture is First lap, Parker 9 Hour, 1970.

I had three seconds in a row, 1970, 1971 and 1972.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 10-09-2017 at 12:49 PM.
    Likes Willabee, Steve Pinson liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Default black & white Scotti .....

..... The rest is History, the #191 won with ease. I've only been mad a Jimbo once in 57 years, and winning Parker in "MY" Black and White Scotti is the only time I've been mad at him since 1960. .....
    In all fairness to your friend Jimbo, I think it was his boat first. I took a picture of him being towed passed our pit area during the 1971 Paris race and I think he was in a black & white Scotti. The Parker winning boat does have an 'ON' painted on the cowl.

Name:  Jimbo & May - Scotti Parker 1972 1st.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  96.7 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Default Parker 9 Hour: 1970

This was from an article in Outboard Magazine, spring 1971.

I was completing my first lap. I had to pull my goggle down to see the inner tube wrapped around my prop.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jimbo Had Raced the Black and White at Havasu, 1971

In all "FAIRNESS" to Jimbo hell! I was assigned the Black and White Scotti, Jimbo had a new boat. He may have had it first, but I had it next and it was MINE, MINE mine! And I can stay mad at him if I want....This Saturday evening, 10/14/2017 when I'm having a beer with Jimbo, I may give him a warm beer because I'm still mad!

In all fairness to your friend Jimbo, I think it was his boat first. I took a picture of him being towed passed our pit area during the 1971 Paris race and I think he was in a black & white Scotti. The Parker winning boat does have an 'ON' painted on the cowl.

Likes Willabee, Steve Pinson liked this post

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 1971 Paris

Bill,
    I believe Jimbo ran an OMC boat that year designed by Leek & built by McDonald. I also recall, hopefully correctly, that he stuffed it early in the race.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

In all "FAIRNESS" to Jimbo hell! I was assigned the Black and White Scotti, Jimbo had a new boat. He may have had it first, but I had it next and it was MINE, MINE mine! And I can stay mad at him if I want....This Saturday evening, 10/14/2017 when I'm having a beer with Jimbo, I may give him a warm beer because I'm still mad!
    Its many years since i spoke to Jimbo just tell him i wish him and his wife all the best and ask him if he remembers those blue ford estate cars they had at OMC Brugge and buy him a beer for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jimbo's McDonald ......

Quote Originally Posted by John Schubert T*A*R*T View Post
    Bill,
    I believe Jimbo ran an OMC boat that year designed by Leek & built by McDonald. I also recall, hopefully correctly, that he stuffed it early in the race.
    Hi John, you are correct that he ran a McDonald in Paris and stuffed it early , you just don't have the right year .

From Powerboat, January 1971 issue (that makes it the October, 1970 race) .....

Name:  Jimbo - McDonald - Paris 1970.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  87.6 KB

He did run the black & white Scotti at Paris in 1971. Looks like he's gonna get a warm beer, but it's his boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Even If Was Wrong, I Was Going to Give Him a Warm Beer.

Hi John, you are correct that he ran a McDonald in Paris and stuffed it early , you just don't have the right year .

From Powerboat, January 1971 issue (that makes it the October, 1970 race) .....

He did run the black & white Scotti at Paris in 1971. Looks like he's gonna get a warm beer, but it's his boat.
    After 45 years I could probably not stay mad, but you know, what else would I have to bitch at him for? This is me on the left, Jimbo on the right. Race Queen in the middle. Winternationals either 1968 or '69. I guess I could remind him, I'm bigger, taller and handsomer than he is.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Got to be 1968 Ron. The race queen in 1969 was blonde, and was from Houston.

Thread Information