Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 59ci Merc help please SRG, Foreman, MWhite ETC.

Post Thanks / Like

Default 59ci Merc help please SRG, Foreman, MWhite ETC.

Looking to speak with someone about setting up my boat. 14x48 Rhino flat bottom, 50hp Merc tiller. No one in my neck of the woods is doing anything like this. I've been reading for months now online and can't get nearly as much info on these Merc's as there is on the Yamaha's.

Engine is 2006 59ci Merc 50hp. Bone stock right now. 13p factory prop.

What prop would you fellas recommend? Thru hub looks like about 17" pitch is all I can find on a 13 spline. Figured that will be the prop I use when going out with my woman and dogs to just cruise.

Seems like the Mercury 18p Chopper is pretty popular and over the hub exhaust for go fast days.

Ok, heres the kicker, I have a long shaft engine. It's on a Vance jack plate and I'm gonna have it pretty high, but nothing like you guy's with Bob's nose cone and low water pickups. So that will play into prop selection I would think. I should be able to get the cav plate up higher than the hull bottom so I hope that will be sufficient. Otherwise, I'm gonna have to buy a tall transom boat for my long shaft. Guessing the reason a 40 Merc is what all these guys run is because they are short shaft. I pretty much stole this engine so I'm going to work with it for now.

Not some dreamer that expects to just bolt it up and do 75mph either. I will put in the work, testing and money to do what's needed. Just need someone to help me that has experience. I know most racers won't share secrets and I don't expect to hear it all, but I'm on a lonely little stretch of river and most of the time I don't see anyone else much less race. Just trying to get out here and get my speed fix on the weekends.

I've tried pretty hard to get in touch with the fellas listed in the title. Looks like after about 2015 these flat bottom race boats might have kinda died out and people may have moved on. If someone could put me and them in contact together I'd owe ya big time. I appreciate all the help!

Post Thanks / Like

Just ordered a 19p Black Max prop that I found real cheap on ebay. Figure that will let me see how the boat is going to act between 40 and 50mph. Sure wish I could find someone with some knowledge on this.

Post Thanks / Like

What hp is your motor?
    Can you post a pic of your boat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fs5 View Post
    What hp is your motor?
    Can you post a pic of your boat
    Engine is 2006 50hp. Seems to run really well. Not sure if my hull is up to it or not. I'm going to give it a shot before I buy another hull though.

I can take more pics if needed. This is all I have.

Hull is probably heavier than most in it's size. All .125" welded with only two longitudinally welded stringers inside and underneath. It's somewhere around 375 pounds (170kg).

Name:  rhinomerc1.jpg
Views: 1526
Size:  134.9 KB

Name:  rhinomerc2.jpg
Views: 1421
Size:  269.4 KB

Post Thanks / Like

My jack plate is now maxed out. The highest I could get the engine is with the anti-vent plate almost dead even with the bottom of the hull. I'll be looking for a tall transom hull once I'm back from vacation most likely.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

You could 'paint stick' the motor higher with a strip of wood. Long as she's bolted on good it won't be a problem.

Jeff
    "We live at the bottom of an ocean of air." - General Marvage Slatington

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fastjeff57 View Post
    You could 'paint stick' the motor higher with a strip of wood. Long as she's bolted on good it won't be a problem.

Jeff
    Unless I'm mistaken that be pretty hard to do with my jack plate. The clamp that goes on top of the transom doesn't really touch anything. Engine has 3 heights for the 4 holes and they are on the highest setting. I could always drill the jack plate higher, but I think I'll just end up with another hull. I'd like to get one of those fancy 8 degree V style anyhow. The flat bottom will beat ya to death on the big lakes around here and I like to do some exploring when I'm not trying to whip up on jet skis.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

..." The flat bottom will beat ya to death on the big lakes around here "

You said it! Have the same problem where I boat. After moving to MD, I intended to build a tunnel hull until I did some running around. Yikes!
    Settled for building a deep vee instead!

Jeff
    "We live at the bottom of an ocean of air." - General Marvage Slatington

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, I guess I’m trying to have my cake and eat it too. I don’t have a second boat or ski or anything. I have my jon boat and I’d like to bust some tails on “jet ski Wednesday” and then take my girl and my Dobes out on weekends and hit the beaches and such. I’m looking at some of the newer duck boats that supposedly come on top the water like a bass boat. But anyways until then I’m going to give this little Rhino all she can handle.

I printed off the service manual and went through the basics tonight. Sync’d the carbs, checked the impeller, and swapped the pisser out for the plug up top so she will tell me the engine is being cooled. Engine only has 6 hours on her. Can’t wait to get the new prop on and see what the hull says. Pretty sure it has some nasty rocker that I won’t be able to fix. But hey, this is part of it. In the mean time I’ll keep watching SRG and Bogalusa boat club videos. Haha thanks for the help thus far fellas. Keep it coming

Post Thanks / Like

The 50hp have different port timing to the 60 hp. You can fit some after market reeds and remove the reed stops and run the washer style retaininer like the 60 hp. Also run the bigger carbs from 60 hp.
    Rev limiter is the black wire with yellow trace goin to limiter box.
    Likes Bateman liked this post

Thread Information