Aside from using a laptop to modify fuel delivery & timing curves on 4-strokes, mechanical mods would be required. The motors with removable heads can increase compression by milling head surface. However, to change the equivalent of 2-stroke port timing, requires an after market camshaft. No one will engage in doing so because the volume is too small to justify start up costs. As Don has suggested, without a larger market for after market components, that will never happen.

I believe the only road to 4-stroke success in racing is to have the rev limiters removed or re flashed, to allow lower pitch props to wind up higher than the stock limiter will allow. This will give better acceleration without sacrificing top end speeds. I know in T-750, Tom'
s 60hp Mercury would kick our butts if he could remove limiter and run lower pitch props. When Tom gets good top end numbers, his acceleration suffers and vise versa. The only other solution to racing 4-strokes is to only allow them in the class, based upon displacement and/or horsepower.

Just my two cents.