Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Performance Improvements possible with newer 4 stroke outboards

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I heard Merc tried to mod that 4s60hp lump on the European F4, it kept blowing up so it went back to stock?
    Goes into gardian mode just getting off the dock and maybe down the straight, dont know if they fixed that?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hounddog View Post
    Up here the new generation of racers are not interested it the old school 2 stroke motors. They would like to use their lap top and reprogram their motor same as they do with their cars. They don't mine throwing lots on money into their modifications. There is a very good supply of rebuildable 4 stroke outboards on the market for them to work with. The problem is there is limited information on what can be done to improve the performance or any OEM or aftermarket parts. Maybe there is not enough market for companies to spend the R&D money necessary to develop the products. Years ago the same could be said about the small Honda cars.
    To-day that is a BIG business.
    We need find ways to get these new people racing. Are you seeing the same thing in your area?
    Any suggestions?
    If they want to spend money get them to make EFI kits for old 2 strokes
    create a new EFI controller for etec injectors now ya talking
    Likes Ron Hill liked this post

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure someone knows how to work those heads. It would be a fun project to play with.
    Likes Ron Hill liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Default Schneider Race Cams in San Diego Knows Cams

Quote Originally Posted by Tiller guy View Post
    I'm sure someone knows how to work those heads. It would be a fun project to play with.
    I think his name is Jerry. Been grinding cams since the Kenny Harmon days. Kenny welded cam's lobs on 250 Honda Motorcycles and then re ground them. Lit those 250's up. Jerry regrinds the cams and sells valve springs. We gained 10% with this cam on a 40 HP.
    Flashing the computer helps ZERO UNLESS THE VALVE SPRING ALLOW HIGH RPM'S.
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 05-21-2019 at 07:46 PM.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    I think his name is Jerry. Been grinding cams since the Kenny Harmon days. Kenny welded cam's lobs on 250 Honda Motorcycles and then re ground them. Lit those 250's up. Jerry regrinds the cams and sells valve springs. We gained 10% with this cam on a 40 HP.
    Flasing the computer helps ZERO UNLESS THE VALVE SPRING ALLOW HIGH RPM'S.
    but you had gears....

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tiller guy View Post
    I think the issue might be most of the engines are highly optimized to do the job they were designed for hence as light as possible.
    Its not a LS3 where GM knows they will be getting a hard time.
    IMHO you might find there are many weak links in the chain if you make more power and revs and those parts are going to cost way more than the old 2 stroke when it goes bang.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ron Hill is A Two Stroke Man, and Always Has Been and Always Will Be!

The problem with 2 strokes, right now, there are no new one in America. And they haven't made any for 15 years or so.

The people I deal with race hard in drag racing with their two strokes, but they do blow engines up and parts are getting harder to find.

Guy buy new four strokes, put them on a boat that went 50 MPH and the new Four Strokes go 42 MPH. With the help of the Signature Propellers we have been making, we have the speed up 12 MPH.

Looking the heads over, figuring compression ratios, porting the heads, grinding the cams, changing the valve springs, we will gain power!

For how long? That is the question!

Prop looks somewhat like this, but this is not the "HOT PROP" for 50 HP 4 strokes.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    The problem with 2 strokes, right now, there are no new one in America. And they haven't made any for 15 years or so.

The people I deal with race hard in drag racing with their two strokes, but they do blow engines up and parts are getting harder to find.

Guy buy new four strokes, put them on a boat that went 50 MPH and the new Four Strokes go 42 MPH. With the help of the Signature Propellers we have been making, we have the speed up 12 MPH.

Looking the heads over, figuring compression ratios, porting the heads, grinding the cams, changing the valve springs, we will gain power!

For how long? That is the question!

Prop looks somewhat like this, but this is not the "HOT PROP" for 50 HP 4 strokes.

Hi ron, Are the semi cleavers performing best on the merc 4 strokes? If Evinrude would release a mid hp with a short shaft and a good lower unit that would be great, but dosent look like that will happen, we can only hope mercury makes some smaller lighter more powerfull 4 strokes, the 300r seems to be pretty awesome, just put some of that tech into the smaller engines and there may be some hope.

Post Thanks / Like

Default "IF EVINRUDE" Since 1966 I've Been Saying That...

Go with a winner and Mercury and Yamaha are the winners....well Tohatsu has some "hot" 40-50 HP four strokes with that 2.23 gear ratio...But with Evinrude, let's just say "If Evinrude"....

Look on Facebook for Kent Foreman, Foreman Marine. He seems to win all the races.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

How about the sound, a modded v8 merc will sound good, but the rest, yuk!
    Look what happened in FIA F1 when they dropped the v8
    Nascar with a v6?

Thread Information