Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: rev limiter on omc 3 cylinder ? seems it can be done easy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LittleCharger View Post
    the rev limiter is 6700 on a 1995 oval port
    You were quicker. Just checked that from manual also.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I hear what your saying little charger.
    But I am not the only one to have noticed this . Lots.of the rnli motors will only rev to 6000 rpm too. Some of the tillers would not go past 6 grand neither so that really means the ignition limited to 6 grand. Lots of people also say the number is on the box ? Well no it is not, I have 3 of these all good and none have any numbers relating to 6700. I looked at new pack at a dealer and again nothing to corrosion with 6700.
    Maybe that is just for USA and Canada market ?.
    Mine definitely won't go that high.

Post Thanks / Like

Not even without load? Start raising rpms higher, but not too quick, in neutral and see if it stops to 6100. Or do testprop with really short blades so it gets just a little power to turn it.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

OK here is what happens if you rev it up without prop or tiny test.prop in tank.open throttle gently to 5,000 no problem. Keep going and it will slowly stop picking up at 5900 to 6000 and not go any higher than 6100.
    If rev it up.fast it shoots to over 7000 then drops back to around 6300 quickly then a couple of seconds it sits at 6100.. does same with 3 different packs.

Post Thanks / Like

Well then you have to unconnect orange wires and go water with smallest prop you can find.
    You must actually DO something to find out rather than discuss here!

I have 1997 60hp ovalport on a aluminum fishing boat wich has bottom like wawe sheetmetal, looks like roof of the house, it goes 36-37kn with 18raker rpms were low 6k dont remember.
    Then i had another aluminum boat, 4m long shallow-v, it went 41kn same 18raker with my 1992 bp wich was totally stock 60hp back then. Revs were 6900 stock everything.
    So there you have one comparison.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Why not buy the performance pack from CDI electronics part No. 213-2138. These are limited to 8,000 RPM. Available through E-Bay.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I know about the orange wires, it was me who posted about disconnecting them. Cdi do not sell any power packs for the oval port that are above 6700 rpm. .they stopped doing them.
    Disconnecting the 2 orange wires gets rid of limiter and quick start. But simple to just put in a switch to use the facility then switch off once warmed up and ignition in normal running state.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Steves Jem
    the CDI electronics part No. 213-2138 is for the older type electronics on the bridgeport motor.thicker flywheel and different rectifier than oval port ;

just taking the two orange wires off is very simple and then if it works and is completely unlimited that has to be the best way to go.
    it will still leave the S.L.O.W function and can use quickstart by simply putting a switch in the orange wires.

Thread Information